Obama's starting to get on my nerves

Gala

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 12:04 pm
kickycan wrote:
Gala wrote:
I guess the best thing I can do is not listen to him anymore.

Great idea.

There is going to be a lot of news on this guy from now until election day. You are not required to keep up with the guy's every move until that day. Take a break.

Eeesh, I'm getting mighty close to having no electronic forms of ciommunication in my home-- I have no TV, no Internet. I rely on the radio, and even that is becoming unbearable.

Ha. So much for my graduate degree in Journalism...
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 12:04 pm
Brand X wrote:
There will be plenty of libs contorting to vote for him like ebrown.

And... will you be voting for McCain?
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 12:07 pm
Robert Gentel wrote:
ebrown_p wrote:

Let's cut him some slack so he can win the election.

Nonsense. When he shifts positions and principles to the right to win elections he should be called on it. This notion that it should be forgiven to win the election is foolish. This is the same "triangulation and poll-driven politics" that he claims we need to change and he should be called on his hypocrisy.

When liberals ignore his pandering, or make excuses for it they play into cult-of-personality politics instead of sticking up for what they believe in. Making convoluted excuses about how the pandering is pragmatism and how after he gets elected he's going to be this marvelous agent of change is absurd.

Take his votes at their face value. When he panders to the right don't try to read secret liberal points into it. Read it for what it is: he's courting the right.

If you are right/moderate you should be happy, but if you are a leftist and reading a secret leftist agenda into it all you are ignoring a more obvious motivation: simple ambition on the part of the candidate.

The other side of the coin, I agree with you.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 12:07 pm
Maybe, just relax a little bit?

Who expects a candidate to agree with all of their positions, or to be happy about everything they do? Not I.

He's the front-runner and he does represent a different way of doing things then before; but he's not perfect and won't please everyone all the time. Every time there's a problem it's going to be trumpeted as proof that he isn't different; it's a construction designed to highlight any and all errors he makes and to tear him down. I don't subscribe to it.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 12:11 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
Brand X wrote:
There will be plenty of libs contorting to vote for him like ebrown.

And... will you be voting for McCain?

No.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 12:12 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Who expects a candidate to agree with all of their positions, or to be happy about everything they do? Not I.

He's the front-runner and he does represent a different way of doing things then before; but he's not perfect and won't please everyone all the time. Every time there's a problem it's going to be trumpeted as proof that he isn't different; it's a construction designed to highlight any and all errors he makes and to tear him down. I don't subscribe to it.

Cycloptichorn

It's not just his positions, Cyclo, it's his mannerisms, tone of voice, venue choices, etc. I know he was filling football stadiums in the primary and he still is, but some of the shine has been taken off since then.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 12:18 pm
Gala wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

It's not just his positions, Cyclo, it's his mannerisms, tone of voice, venue choices, etc. I know he was filling football stadiums in the primary and he still is, but some of the shine has been taken off since then.

Mannerisms? Tone of voice? I guess next you'll be saying that he's 'uppity.'

I mean, wtf. If he can fill large venues, why not fill large venues? If he is a great speaker, why not give great speeches? If he wants to win, why not set up the expectation that he is GOING to win and act as if he is GOING to win?

Some of you don't want him to do what is necessary to win, it seems, and that's just baffling to me. You don't 'nice guy' your way into the WH. You take it.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 12:22 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Gala wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

Mannerisms? Tone of voice? I guess next you'll be saying that he's 'uppity.'

I mean, wtf. If he can fill large venues, why not fill large venues? If he is a great speaker, why not give great speeches? If he wants to win, why not set up the expectation that he is GOING to win and act as if he is GOING to win?

Some of you don't want him to do what is necessary to win, it seems, and that's just baffling to me. You don't 'nice guy' your way into the WH. You take it.

Cycloptichorn

Cut the uppity crap-- if it were Hillary Clinton acting officious I'd say it was her tone of voice and mannerisms as well. Believe it or not-- all people have mannerisms.

And while we're on the subject of mannerisms I'd say McCain takes home the prize in stiffness, has a weak warbly voice and is overbearing as well.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 12:23 pm
I'm not sure who is more liberal....McCain or Obama...

I was really saddened to hear so many young college students pissed because of the court's decision on child rape death penalty.

Obama, too, huh?

Interesting...
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 12:31 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:

How about just his main platform? Not just some trivial policy difference but the central message in all his branding.

He campaigned on the ambiguous "change", and that worked well because it means a lot of different things to people right now. One of the most common sentiments was that with his Iraq position he showed that he was different from the liberals in politics who've voted right out of political expediency on things like invading Iraq.

That was a big part of his initial support base, he was initially positioning himself well to the left and courting a large base that was disillusioned with Democrats who were too cowardly to vote their principles on things like Iraq.

Now for the general election he needs to move to center in messaging a bit and that's easy to understand. But that doesn't mean he should get a free pass from the left when he begins to compromise their political ideals. The left is right to call Obama out on if he sells them out for political expediency. The left is better served by a strong idealistic candidate while Obama is better served by being perceived as a moderate.

Being a moderate has long been the easy way to mediocre popularity. But a lot of people weren't expecting a moderate centrist as "change" and shouldn't hesitate to pressure Obama if they are concerned that he's venturing too far into the ideology of the right to get their votes.

At some point it just comes down to who's candidate is he? The left or the center? Right now those are not very similar political ideologies and the left should not be happy with center after Bush. That's not nearly enough "change".
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 01:05 pm
Lash wrote:
I'm not sure who is more liberal....McCain or Obama...

I was really saddened to hear so many young college students pissed because of the court's decision on child rape death penalty.

Obama, too, huh?

Interesting...

It is interesting-- and from a conservative's court majority. Maybe all those youngsters eye-for-an-eye mentality has to do with their being impressionable teens when September 11 happend.

Obama is still way more liberal. Although, there's more to be seen with how far he'll go to the right to win the election.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 01:08 pm
Robert Gentel wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:

How about just his main platform? Not just some trivial policy difference but the central message in all his branding.

He campaigned on the ambiguous "change", and that worked well because it means a lot of different things to people right now. One of the most common sentiments was that with his Iraq position he showed that he was different from the liberals in politics who've voted right out of political expediency on things like invading Iraq.

That was a big part of his initial support base, he was initially positioning himself well to the left and courting a large base that was disillusioned with Democrats who were too cowardly to vote their principles on things like Iraq.

Now for the general election he needs to move to center in messaging a bit and that's easy to understand. But that doesn't mean he should get a free pass from the left when he begins to compromise their political ideals. The left is right to call Obama out on if he sells them out for political expediency. The left is better served by a strong idealistic candidate while Obama is better served by being perceived as a moderate.

Being a moderate has long been the easy way to mediocre popularity. But a lot of people weren't expecting a moderate centrist as "change" and shouldn't hesitate to pressure Obama if they are concerned that he's venturing too far into the ideology of the right to get their votes.

At some point it just comes down to who's candidate is he? The left or the center? Right now those are not very similar political ideologies and the left should not be happy with center after Bush. That's not nearly enough "change".

Amen.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 01:29 pm
Part of Obama's somewhat pristine appeal arose from the simple fact that his public record itself is so relatively short and scanty. He hasn't had as much time, opportunity or necessity for the many compromises and errors that afflict anyone in the political arena. Now, as he multiplies his exposure to the intense scrutiny, no one should be surprised that he begins to accumulate some of these things.

Similarly, now that the contest for the Democrat nomination is over, no one should be surprised that he has begun to move - or at least position himself - to the center in an attempt to broaden his appeal to a larger spectrum of voters.

Obama is simply a contemporary version of the standard left wing Democrat package, previously exemplified by Jimmy Carter, Walter Mondale, Al Gore, John Kerry and others; this time with better than average rhetorical skills and brown skin. We may well end up with him as president, but we will survive it.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 01:39 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
Part of Obama's somewhat pristine appeal arose from the simple fact that his public record itself is so relatively short and scanty. He hasn't had as much time, opportunity or necessity for the many compromises and errors that afflict anyone in the political arena. Now, as he multiplies his exposure to the intense scrutiny, no one should be surprised that he begins to accumulate some of these things.

Similarly, now that the contest for the Democrat nomination is over, no one should be surprised that he has begun to move - or at least position himself - to the center in an attempt to broaden his appeal to a larger spectrum of voters.

Obama is simply a contemporary version of the standard left wing Democrat package, previously exemplified by Jimmy Carter, Walter Mondale, Al Gore, John Kerry and others; this time with better than average rhetorical skills and brown skin. We may well end up with him as president, but we will survive it.

Good point. An unknown and untested guy with great powers of speech. History tells us that the best presidents were the best speakers...Lincoln, Roosevelt, Kennedy etc.

Now if he would just come off of his high-horse.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 01:39 pm
What exactly do you mean when you say his 'high horse?'

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 01:44 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

Go away.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 01:50 pm
The media and Obama's opposition know what a blunder or political suicide it would be for them to make any statement that appeared racist.

It's like walking on egg-shells, any statement becomes a barometer for how politically correct you are.

Face it Cyclo, Hillary was on her high-horse, so is McCain-- especially McCain, although he's trying to sound like Joe humble pie.

Oh yeah, what about Kerry-- now there was a guy who didn't have a shred of pretension. Get a grip Cyclo, and go lick your wounds in private.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 01:59 pm
Come now, if you want Cyclo to "go away" you can't criticize him afterwards and reasonably expect him to comply.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 02:38 pm
Gala wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

Go away.

What is your problem, exactly? That people ask you to explain your bullshit complaints instead of just swallowing them whole and nodding along?

'lick my wounds?' What wounds? My preferred candidate, and the guy who I've worked to help win, is kicking ass right now in pretty much every metric and is still poised to win this Fall.

I've no patience for empty bellyaching by people who have no substance to back up their complaints. You are whining, and it should be embarrassing to you that you can't back things up with substantive discussion.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 02:42 pm
Get a grip Cyclo--Kerry was totally on his high-horse, he was the epitome of it. How is this not backing up my "complaints?"
0 Replies