"Pixie Dust" to Regenerate Missing Limbs?

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2008 08:06 pm
By Christi MyersSAN ANTONIO, TX (KTRK) --
There's some medical science fiction going on in San Antonio. It's all about limb regeneration and 'pixie dust.' And a young Texas soldier is the first to regrow a finger.
When Sgt. Shilo Harris met President Bush, he insisted on saluting, even though he's missing three fingers. Maybe next time, he'll have more.
His story starts in Baghdad, where his unit was hit by an IED. He lost his nose, ears, fingers and the upper third of his body to burns.
"I remember crying a lot," said Shilo. "The pain was really, really out there."
His wife, Kathreyn, and his four children have been beside him as he progressed through skin grafts and rehab.
"Little milestones, like feeding himself again. It was like I was getting part of my husband back," she said.
Now, Shilo may actually get part of his body back. Doctors at Brooke Army Medical Center are trying to regenerate one of his fingers.
"This would be just one more step to science fiction coming true," said Shilo.
Last month, doctors spread a clumpy white powder nicknamed 'pixie dust' where he's missing an index finger.
"I asked them afterward, 'What do you expect?'" said Shilo. "And they said 'You're the first, so we'll see.' I went, 'Wow, OK.'"
Four weeks later, Shilo showed me the new growth that looks like a pink bump.
"Now he has more finger than he had before already, and so we're just going to keep putting it on and keep going and see what happens," said Dr. Steven Wolf, who is testing the 'pixie dust.'
The powder is from a pig bladder. Doctors believe it can attract his natural stem cells and trick them into regenerating the finger. Doctors here have asked four or five other patients to see if they want 'pixie dust' to regenerate their fingers. They're considering it. Doctors want to try it on 10 people to see how it really works.
"It's kind of a neat thing to see and know that he's making medical history," said Kathreyn.
"It's phenomenal, wonderful," added Shilo. "I'll be the first. No big deal. It's got to start somewhere. This may be small right now, but maybe someday someone will lose an arm and they'll grow their arm back. That means a lot."
Shilo admits it is disconcerting not to have any idea what the new finger will be like. But if it works, Shilo says what doctors learn from him could make life easier for thousands of other wounded soldiers and eventually civilian amputees.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,609 • Replies: 6
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2008 08:09 pm
The writer is contradictory, saying the man is first to regrow a finger. Whatever it's doing is still too early to be certain.
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2008 11:59 pm
HMMMM. Wonder what would happen if someone sprinkled pixie dust on their boobs.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2008 03:19 am
I think that is wonderful. Just think of the things that can be done medically today, that were unimaginable 100, or even 50 years ago.

As far as putting the pixie dust on boobs, I could think of an even more relevant place where the procedure could be attempted. Even if it didn't work, I am sure that the study subjects would most enjoy going through the procedure! Laughing
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2008 06:07 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
I think that is wonderful. Just think of the things that can be done medically today, that were unimaginable 100, or even 50 years ago.

As far as putting the pixie dust on boobs, I could think of an even more relevant place where the procedure could be attempted. Even if it didn't work, I am sure that the study subjects would most enjoy going through the procedure! Laughing

Yeah, but Phoenix, you'd have to beware the gap between positive thinking and scientific evaluation. I'm sure all the participants would insist it had "grown" despite evidence to the contrary. Smile

On a serious note, this sounds amazing. I hope the cells that are regenerating really are finger shaped -- and does growth stop once the dust is no longer being used?
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2008 06:11 am
What amazed me is who thought of the idea of trying the pig bladder. Wow.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2008 09:32 am
What a wacky idea. I bet the best place for it to work would be burns.
0 Replies