Well, I"m off to the South Kootenays next weekend

Mame

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2008 06:34 pm
Yeah, I've been in "discussions" with three outfits (jobs) and this one came up first, is way more convenient (no outhouses) and is longer-term, which I prefer.

This one is supposed to go to Oct-November... 4 weeks in, and one or two out. But really, it's a piece of cake. Ten guys (more or less) but nobody's in a tent - we're all in cabins or A-frames and they change the bedding 2x/week. I'm going to go stir-crazy, I can tell. Good thing I bought a harmonica to practice on.

And best of all, one of my best friends is getting married during my time off and she's only 30 miles from my "camp" so we can visit, before during and after. Don't imagine I'll have much to say about all this unless it's personnel strife. No drilling until Oct-Nov, and we all know geos are so easy to get along with (ie they will eat Ethnic Food).
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,469 • Replies: 33
No top replies

TTH

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2008 06:36 pm
Have a nice time Mame Smile
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2008 07:19 pm
So... men! They're so weird. God, give me a woman any day.

First of all, there's Dave (J.D. to his buds) who rambles on and on about inconsequential (but sometimes important) details ad infinitum... please, get to the POINT! He decided that an A-Frame with one tiny sink, and apt. sized fridge and no counter space was adequate for me to cook for 10 - 14 men in the summer months. NOT! Once I disabused him of this notion, we were onto other matters, also equally unrealistic (size of pantry, and oh, did I really need a freezer???? And a BBQ?? Why-ever-for!!?!)

Then there's Tim, my boss, whom Dave and I work for, who's always hiding behind something or other and can't seem to make his mind about various things. "I have a kitchen equipment inventory, don't bother to do one" (but I did anyway), then, "So where's your Wish List?", (ha ha, sure, thank god I did that).... to "I have a guy that does all my buying" (okay, great!) to "Where are we shopping for this and that?" - I don't care, but I got a deal here and a deal there, but whatever... you decide, you have the money.

Then it was about when I was leaving Vcr and where I was going and why. Uh, I'd sort of like to see WHERE I'll be cooking and with what facilities, that's why. The story is now way too long and detailed for me to even begin explaining but suffice it to say I'm back where I started 2 weeks ago. I'm heading out on Tuesday to do some recon re: grocs and stuff but as of today I was going to be re-routed through various other towns until saner heads prevailed... The advance party arrives Friday and the rest the following Monday and throughout that week. Not an auspicious start. And somehow, I have to prepare delicious and nutritious meals when I don't have any pots/pans or food, work surfaces, or tables and cutlery. Should be interesting.

Did I say this was going to be fun? I hope so!!!

Very Happy

Ayii yii yii
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2008 07:21 pm
So, like anyone gives a ****.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2008 07:28 pm
Go to hell Dys! Evil or Very Mad Mame's a pal.

Mame, I'm sure you will make something good of it and that these jerks will end up very glad they found you. Very likely they won't admit it, but in their little black hearts they will know they got lucky.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2008 07:34 pm
Non of that canned muck now, ya hear me woman?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2008 07:36 pm
Don't make suggestions, either. Tell them what you have to have

And don't forget the mosquito repellent.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2008 07:43 pm
dyslexia wrote:
So, like anyone gives a ****.

[slaps him hard in the face, which he seems to like]

Ah, it'll be fine, as ob1 knows. Just this weird sorta wishy-washy, indecisive stuff gets me. (Make up your MINDs already!!) Gotta let it go and just do my thing.

Sure wish some of you could come visit. Now THAT'D be a treat Smile
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2008 08:14 pm
Mame wrote:
Ah, it'll be fine, as ob1 knows. Just this weird sorta wishy-washy, indecisive stuff gets me. (Make up your MINDs already!!) Gotta let it go and just do my thing.

Sure wish some of you could come visit. Now THAT'D be a treat Smile

Well, I think that "make up your mind" thing is partly a man/woman issue. I often find that my most interesting musings about the the uncertainties and tradeoffs involved in a choice or decision often drive wife/daughters/female co workers crazy. The strange creatures seem to have no patience with these things, no matter how interesting I may find them. As for me, I find some of their decision-making processes completely incomprehensible; no logic at all - often good choices, mind you, but impossible to figure out how they got there.

Even at work I have found some of my most clever and insightful strategies greeted by female deputies with that characteristic blank "how long did it take YOU to figure THAT out?" look. How did they know? Do they really understand??

In any event Mame I think they will find that you are the best thing that has happend to them in a while.
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2008 08:15 pm
Mame,
From what you've described I can't imagine how they functioned before hiring you. Maybe that's why they didn't keep someone from last year?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2008 08:23 pm
Ears glued to the computer to hear more Mame stories...
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2008 08:26 pm
These photos of Kootenay National Park look gorgeous.

If you will be anywhere near there, it sounds like it will be an awesome place for your photography skills. Sounds like the Canadian version of Yellowstone National Park. Be sure to take along a set of water color paints and charcoal pencils and a book of art paper to help pass the time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kootenay_National_Park

Have a great time, Mame. Be sure to mind the sun!
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2008 08:58 pm
Wow! What beautiful country! I hope you take some pics, Mame!

Good luck -- but I know you won't need it. You'll be great!
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2008 02:09 am
ob1 - well, thank you - you seem to understand the difference between men and women! Smile Why they would not send the cook out to do the initial recon is beyond me - one talk with Eleanor, the owner, and I knew this A-Frame would not do- ha.

MB - They likely do just fine - I suspect it's communication they're not so great at - see a pattern here??? Two guys talking is not like two women talking or one guy talking to one woman. It's either the English language that's deficient or we're just from different planets.

Me: "So, to sum up, you want me to drive to Kelowna to buy the kitchen gear at Costco but you may still get your guy Al to buy the stuff? So I'm going where when?"

Him: "Yeah, okay, just keep to your original schedule. It'll be better to have some more advice from the field."

Me, totally confused: "Okay." (still don't know who's buying what, where, but hey...I'm not in charge. And I think I have to cook for 5 guys on Friday with no food allowance and no pots and pans, so that's going to be tricky. I'm dealing with expediters this time, not the actual client, which adds a new thing into the mix.)

Buttrflynet - I don't know exactly what my views (mountains) will be but I will keep you apprised. Those were magnificent shots. I am on the highway so I suspect (ha!) that mine will be less than gorgeous. More of exhaust spewing out of some diesel truck and a great cloud of mosquitoes (they always say they're minimal but...ha).

~~~

My experience with men in general and with geos in particular is that everything is fluid... what goes one minute does not necessarily go the next (Oh, didn't I tell you I invited 40 people to the BBQ instead of 15??) You're always on your toes, which is a good thing.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2008 07:22 am
Mame
http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/0/01/Mount_Everest_from_Rombok_Gompa,_Tibet.jpg

The secret is out, Mame, this is your new kitchen.

BBB
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2008 07:25 am
Mame
http://www.westernfolklife.org/weblogs/artists/watt/archives_2006/08/mom-cookin.gif

Here's your new barbeque.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2008 07:32 am
Mame
http://www.boyink.com/images/jeep/IMG_4310.jpg

Here's your kitchen.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2008 07:34 am
Mame
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h274/badgergrod/lochlomondapril07hammock.jpg

Here's your bedroom
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2008 07:37 am
Mame
http://www.campist.com/archives/stinky-pete-shower-toilet-tent.jpg

Here's your high tech toilet and shower.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2008 07:46 am
So what are we gonna be searcdhing for this time that we need to have frozen platform for the rigs.

Kootenay is just West of the Thrust belt, are they looking for oil or minerals?
0 Replies