is the phrase correct?

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2008 05:07 am
Is the usage - "yesterday night" wrong??

shud it essentially be "last night"??
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 685 • Replies: 4
No top replies

TTH

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2008 06:06 am
I don't know if "yesterday night" is wrong. "last night" is all I have ever heard and used.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2008 06:42 am
Re: is the phrase correct?
verbivore wrote:
Is the usage - "yesterday night" wrong??

No, but it isn't (in my experience) common, and sounds somewhat awkward. It could very well, however, be common to some regional dialect of English, and not sound awkward at all to those who speak that dialect.

Quote:
shud it essentially be "last night"??

It seems rather odd that you would worry about such a thing, at the same time as you spell should as "shud." But, nevertheless, yes, i would say that "last night" would be more likely to be used.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2008 06:43 am
By the way, i have heard people commonly say "yesterday evening."
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2008 02:44 am
I would only say or write "yesterday night" if I wanted people to think I was Swedish. A quick Google shows 809,000 results for the exact phrase, with a very high proportion being by people with non-Anglozone names and/or locations. Not scientific, I know.

Anyway the "yester" prefix is an Old English prefix meaning "last": yesterday, yesternight, yestermorn(ing) yestereven(ing), etc. Only yesterday has survived in everyday use.

Yesterday night therefore expands to "last day night" which does not make sense.
0 Replies