On behlf of

Ragman

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 11:28 am
I'm not into this debate or having an argument with you. We may simply agree to disagree. As a former Technical Writer, I feel confident in my command of the English language. My opinion and interpretation differ from yours. Surely, the language has 'wiggle room' here.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 11:58 am
Ragman wrote:
I'm not into this debate or having an argument with you. We may simply agree to disagree. As a former Technical Writer, I feel confident in my command of the English language. My opinion and interpretation differ from yours. Surely, the language has 'wiggle room' here.

I've noticed that you have a good command of the English language, Ragman and I'm not/was not questioning that. But yes, there is wiggle room as you've noted and as Dr Huff, SullyFish and even Contrex noted.

Ragman wrote:
Wrong! As I'm a member of A2K, I would be speaking for both parties - A2K members AND myself. The exception being if the speaker were being hired or contracted to do the job of spokesperson.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 03:38 pm
Ragman wrote:
As a former Technical Writer

It's a bit self-important, and quite humorously dorkish to capitalise the phrase "technical writer".
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 03:42 pm
Contrex: What total bullcrap. It was my former profession..so I capitalized it (grammatically correct or not). The fact that you want to find fault with that speaks more about you than it does me. Where exactly was it that your opinion about me or what or how I type was requested? Please redirect your efforts to the author who HAS requested your opinion.
0 Replies

sullyfish6

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 03:42 pm
Now, now, boys . . .

From the MSN.com dictionary:

be·half [ bi háf, bi hf ]
[14th century. Blend of on his half + by half him, both meaning "on his side"]

on behalf of or on somebody's behalf

1. as somebody's representative
We chose James to speak on our behalf.

2. for somebody's benefit or support, or in somebody's best interests
I thanked everyone on Jane's behalf.

Word Usage
on somebody's behalf or in somebody's behalf?

A distinction frequently overlooked between on behalf of and in behalf of is that on behalf of is preferred in the meaning "as somebody's representative," and in behalf of in the meaning "in somebody's best interests": She appeared on behalf of the U.N. Secretary General at a conference held in behalf of the world's children. Also note that because a person acting on somebody's behalf is acting for another, on behalf of myself is illogical and should be avoided.

on
0 Replies

tanguatlay

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 09:25 pm
on behalf of myself is illogical and should be avoided.

This brings us back to the question how I should word the sentence if I want to include myself in thanking somebody.

Can I, for example, say, "For myself and on behalf of the others present, I would like to thank you for the talk you've just given. We've gained much knowledge from your talk."

Many thanks.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 09:49 pm
tanguatlay wrote:

This brings us back to the question how I should word the sentence if I want to include myself in thanking somebody.

Can I, for example, say, "For myself and on behalf of the others present, I would like to thank you for the talk you've just given. We've gained much knowledge from your talk."

Many thanks.

That's an excellent way to say it, T.

This isn't the best of advice. All grammatical language, even some ungrammatical can see use. We use language to express humor, whimsy, and a host of other emotive feelings.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 09:56 pm
This is a bit awkward and incorrect: "For myself and on behalf of the others present..."

For myself is improper grammatically.

I would use the following:

On behalf of the others present and me ..."
0 Replies