DC Gun Ban Lifted

Diest TKO

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2008 01:01 pm
cjhsa wrote:
I have never heard that definition before. Not once.

Did you edit it into Wikipedia yourself?

Sounds like a "you-problem."

T
K
O
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2008 01:03 pm
Dude, it's not true.

If it were true, anyone could have purchased an AR-15 during the AWB period. But they couldn't.

So you're full of ****.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2008 01:10 pm
Tsk Tsk Powderburn, I'm just the messenger. Sounds like somebody is in denial.

Tsk
K
O
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2008 01:19 pm
DT, you are in over your head here.

Go back to whatever it is you do best because you are a complete failure in this arena.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2008 01:23 pm
That's odd, it seems he's the only one who has linked to any sort of definition whatsoever. You on the other hand seem to believe that assertions are proper argumentation...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2008 01:24 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

Did you have something to contribute?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2008 01:26 pm
More then you, it would seem, who can't figure out how to use the 'quote' feature correctly.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2008 01:38 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
'quote'

Apparently you have nothing of value to add to the conversation.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2008 01:40 pm
H2O_MAN wrote:

Go back to whatever it is you do best because you are a complete failure in this arena.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

I've provided a source to collaborate my training, what have you done? Put up some pictures?

T
K
O
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2008 01:42 pm
Diest TKO wrote:
H2O_MAN wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

I've provided a source to collaborate my training, what have you done? Put up some pictures?

We are all very happy that you have been trained to sit, stay and fetch... good for you.

None of what you have copied and pasted tells me you know much of anything about firearms.
I hope you use the buddy system when firearms are around - think of the children.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2008 01:43 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
That's odd, it seems he's the only one who has linked to any sort of definition whatsoever. You on the other hand seem to believe that assertions are proper argumentation...

Cycloptichorn

That's because his is the only definition that doesn't fit with teh reality of the assault weapons debate.

CA's defining characistics for an assault weapon:

"The following definitions apply to terms used in the identification of assault weapons pursuant to Penal Code section 12276.1:
(a) "detachable magazine" means any ammunition feeding device that can be removed readily from the firearm with neither disassembly of the firearm action nor use of a tool being required. A bullet or ammunition cartridge is considered a tool. Ammunition feeding device includes any belted or linked ammunition, but does not include clips, en bloc clips, or stripper clips that load cartridges into the magazine.
(b) "flash suppressor" means any device designed, intended, or that functions to perceptibly reduce or redirect muzzle flash from the shooter's field of vision.
(c) "forward pistol grip" means a grip that allows for a pistol style grasp forward of the trigger.
(d) "pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon" means a grip that allows for a pistol style grasp in which the web of the trigger hand (between the thumb and index finger) can be placed below the top of the exposed portion of the trigger while firing.
(e) "thumbhole stock" means a stock with a hole that allows the thuthumb of the trigger hand to penetrate into or through the stock while firing."

http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/regs/sb23.pdf

Note that none of those definitions match up with anything TKO listed.

Here in MA Assault weapons are defined as ""Assault weapon", shall have the same meaning as a semiautomatic assault weapon as defined in the federal Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act, 18 U.S.C. section 921(a)(30) as appearing in such section on September 13, 1994, and shall include, but not be limited to, any of the weapons, or copies or duplicates of the weapons, of any caliber, known as: (i) Avtomat Kalashnikov (AK) (all models); (ii) Action Arms Israeli Military Industries UZI and Galil; (iii) Beretta Ar70 (SC-70); (iv) Colt AR-15; (v) Fabrique National FN/FAL, FN/LAR and FNC; (vi) SWD M-10, M-11, M-11/9 and M-12; (vi) Steyr AUG; (vii) INTRATEC TEC-9, TEC-DC9 and TEC-22; and (viii) revolving cylinder shotguns, such as, or similar to, the Street Sweeper and Striker 12; provided, however, that the term assault weapon shall not include: (i) any of the weapons, or replicas or duplicates of such weapons, specified in appendix A to 18 U.S.C. section 922 as appearing in such appendix on September 13, 1994, as such weapons were manufactured on October 1, 1993; (ii) any weapon that is operated by manual bolt, pump, lever or slide action; (iii) any weapon that has been rendered permanently inoperable or otherwise rendered permanently unable to be designated a semiautomatic assault weapon; (iv) any weapon that was manufactured prior to the year 1899; (v) any weapon that is an antique or relic, theatrical prop or other weapon that is not capable of firing a projectile and which is not intended for use as a functional weapon and cannot be readily modified through a combination of available parts into an operable assault weapon; (vi) any semiautomatic rifle that cannot accept a detachable magazine that holds more than five rounds of ammunition; or (vii) any semiautomatic shotgun that cannot hold more than five rounds of ammunition in a fixed or detachable magazine."

http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/140-121.htm

Nothing there about selective rate of fire....

The 1994 Federal Assault Weapons Ban included:
"Rifles with a:

Folding/telescoping stock
Protruding pistol grip
Bayonet mount
Threaded muzzle or flash suppressor
Grenade launcher

Pistols with a:

Magazine outside grip
Threaded muzzle
Barrel shroud
Unloaded weight of 50 ounces or more
Semi-automatic version of a fully automatic weapon

and Shotguns with a:

Protruding pistol grip
Detachable magazine capacity
Fixed magazine capacity greater than 5 rounds "

http://www.bradycampaign.org/facts/faqs/?page=awb

Again, none of those meet any of the defintion TKO listed. He's simply playing with a very limited definition that isn't being used by the rest of the population.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2008 01:45 pm
The funny thing is, you and I both know that his definition is far more accurate then any of the things you listed, most of which have nothing to do with 'assault rifles' at all. 'cept maybe for 'Semi-automatic version of a fully automatic weapon.'

I agree that our nations laws need an overhaul on this subject...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2008 01:46 pm
NRA Firearm Glossary wrote:
ASSAULT RIFLE
By U.S. Army definition, a selective-fire rifle chambered for a cartridge of intermediate power. If applied to any semi-automatic firearm regardless of its cosmetic similarity to a true assault rifle, the term is incorrect.

NRA Firearms Glossary

Like I said, I'm not going to grow tired of being right about this. Give up. You lost.

T
K
O
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2008 01:57 pm
fishin wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

That's because his is the only definition that doesn't fit with teh reality of the assault weapons debate.

CA's defining characistics for an assault weapon:

"The following definitions apply to terms used in the identification of assault weapons pursuant to Penal Code section 12276.1:
(a) "detachable magazine" means any ammunition feeding device that can be removed readily from the firearm with neither disassembly of the firearm action nor use of a tool being required. A bullet or ammunition cartridge is considered a tool. Ammunition feeding device includes any belted or linked ammunition, but does not include clips, en bloc clips, or stripper clips that load cartridges into the magazine.
(b) "flash suppressor" means any device designed, intended, or that functions to perceptibly reduce or redirect muzzle flash from the shooter's field of vision.
(c) "forward pistol grip" means a grip that allows for a pistol style grasp forward of the trigger.
(d) "pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon" means a grip that allows for a pistol style grasp in which the web of the trigger hand (between the thumb and index finger) can be placed below the top of the exposed portion of the trigger while firing.
(e) "thumbhole stock" means a stock with a hole that allows the thuthumb of the trigger hand to penetrate into or through the stock while firing."

http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/regs/sb23.pdf

Note that none of those definitions match up with anything TKO listed.

Here in MA Assault weapons are defined as ""Assault weapon", shall have the same meaning as a semiautomatic assault weapon as defined in the federal Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act, 18 U.S.C. section 921(a)(30) as appearing in such section on September 13, 1994, and shall include, but not be limited to, any of the weapons, or copies or duplicates of the weapons, of any caliber, known as: (i) Avtomat Kalashnikov (AK) (all models); (ii) Action Arms Israeli Military Industries UZI and Galil; (iii) Beretta Ar70 (SC-70); (iv) Colt AR-15; (v) Fabrique National FN/FAL, FN/LAR and FNC; (vi) SWD M-10, M-11, M-11/9 and M-12; (vi) Steyr AUG; (vii) INTRATEC TEC-9, TEC-DC9 and TEC-22; and (viii) revolving cylinder shotguns, such as, or similar to, the Street Sweeper and Striker 12; provided, however, that the term assault weapon shall not include: (i) any of the weapons, or replicas or duplicates of such weapons, specified in appendix A to 18 U.S.C. section 922 as appearing in such appendix on September 13, 1994, as such weapons were manufactured on October 1, 1993; (ii) any weapon that is operated by manual bolt, pump, lever or slide action; (iii) any weapon that has been rendered permanently inoperable or otherwise rendered permanently unable to be designated a semiautomatic assault weapon; (iv) any weapon that was manufactured prior to the year 1899; (v) any weapon that is an antique or relic, theatrical prop or other weapon that is not capable of firing a projectile and which is not intended for use as a functional weapon and cannot be readily modified through a combination of available parts into an operable assault weapon; (vi) any semiautomatic rifle that cannot accept a detachable magazine that holds more than five rounds of ammunition; or (vii) any semiautomatic shotgun that cannot hold more than five rounds of ammunition in a fixed or detachable magazine."

http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/140-121.htm

Nothing there about selective rate of fire....

The 1994 Federal Assault Weapons Ban included:
"Rifles with a:

Protruding pistol grip
Bayonet mount
Threaded muzzle or flash suppressor
Grenade launcher

Pistols with a:

Magazine outside grip
Threaded muzzle
Barrel shroud
Unloaded weight of 50 ounces or more
Semi-automatic version of a fully automatic weapon

and Shotguns with a:

Protruding pistol grip
Detachable magazine capacity
Fixed magazine capacity greater than 5 rounds "

http://www.bradycampaign.org/facts/faqs/?page=awb

Again, none of those meet any of the defintion TKO listed. He's simply playing with a very limited definition that isn't being used by the rest of the population.

First off it seems that there is some semantics between "assault rifle" (specific) and an "assault weapon" (general). In terms of drafting legislation, I'd venture to say that a distinction like this is made for the porposes of illustrating that some weapons are not designed for defense as much as they are designed for assault/offense. e.g. - a grenade launcher.

As for the rest, It simply seems that CA and MA are not up to date on their stuff. Not unusual to find out of date definitions. I'd say some housekeeping is in order.

I think that if there is a federal definition, it trumps a state one. Isn't that the nature of the 14th amendment?

T
K
O
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2008 02:05 pm
Selective fire to me means: Single shot, or, three shot burst. They don't issue full auto even to the troops any longer. I'm willing to accept that (vague) definition, but if that's it, then I still don't see why AR style rifles were banned under the AWB.

Also, NATO and our troops use a variant of the .223 REM, a truly mid powered cartridge. You can now get AR's chambered in 338RCM which is a short version of the 338WM that uses high powered propellent. That by no means is a "mid powered" gun, so the definition doesn't apply.

You can hunt deer with a .223, but unless you're Joe Deadeye, you'll spend more time tracking than you do bow hunting.

I admitted I had never heard of the "adjustable rate of fire" terminology. And there really are only two modes to an M-16 that hasn't been modified by the soldier.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2008 02:18 pm
DTKO
Quote:
Like I said, I'm not going to grow tired of being right about this. Give up. You lost.

Decision to TKO by a TKO Laughing

I was wondering when the NRA boys were gonna drag in NRA's own definitions, but noooo. NRA's definition is an "Inconvenient TRuth"

HAW HAW.

Also, as I read this one, I noted that it was the NRA types who brought up the assault waepon crap anyway.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2008 02:34 pm
Diest TKO wrote:
First off it seems that there is some semantics between "assault rifle" (specific) and an "assault weapon" (general). In terms of drafting legislation, I'd venture to say that a distinction like this is made for the porposes of illustrating that some weapons are not designed for defense as much as they are designed for assault/offense. e.g. - a grenade launcher.

Using "weapon" also allows them to include handguns and shotguns which aren't "rifles" because, ya know... people will argue over definitions... Wink

Quote:
As for the rest, It simply seems that CA and MA are not up to date on their stuff. Not unusual to find out of date definitions. I'd say some housekeeping is in order.

I think that if there is a federal definition, it trumps a state one. Isn't that the nature of the 14th amendment?

The U.S. Army doesn't issue legal definitions for anyone other than themselves so their's doesn't trump much of anything. You'll note that the last list of items in my prior post were from the former Federal Assault Weapons Ban (and both CA and MA built upon that law in enacting their own laws). But even within the Federal government, different laws can define the same terms differently.

But my general point was that the definition you are using isn't what is used by the general public or the popular media. I can't think of any firearm that is selective rate of fire that wouldn't already be controlled under the National Firearms Act of 1935.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2008 02:58 pm
fishin wrote:
But my general point was that the definition you are using isn't what is used by the general public or the popular media.

Neither are authorites.

More on assault weapons versus assault rifles here.

Noteable text:
Wikipedia wrote:
A key concept in defining the military assault rifle is the ability to provide a large volume of fire through fully-automatic or burst fire modes. Every nation that uses the term assault rifle refers to a rifle with said capability.

The ability to change the rate of fire is a wider excepted definition than just the US.

T
K
O
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2008 03:11 pm
Diest TKO wrote:

The ability to change the rate of fire is a wider excepted definition than just the US.

Very true. But that still doens't change the fact that selective rate of fire isn't even a consideration in assault weapons legislation here.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2008 04:59 pm
fishin wrote:
Diest TKO wrote:

Very true. But that still doens't change the fact that selective rate of fire isn't even a consideration in assault weapons legislation here.

Hence my original question about the future of A2 which has already been addressed. Enough circles for the day, lol.

T
K
O
0 Replies