Art a subject or an ability?

Vivien

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 12:24 pm
[quote="Aldistar

Thank you for the warm welcome! Yes I do do art pieces, any media. I have done acrylics, oils, water color/gouache, pencil, color pencil, pastels, pen and ink you name it I love it. Most of my full color work is done in Doc Marten Dyes, however. They work like watercolor or inkwash but have much more vibrant colors. As soon as I figure out how I will try to post some of my work, I am also working on my website but that has miles to go before it is accessible.

It's kind of hard to see but I drew my avatar. It is Prismacolor pencil on canson paper.[/quote]

I was going to ask if your avatar was your own work - it's lovely. I have a tortie tabby who thinks she's a tiger - the fangs certainly feel like one!

The Doc Marten dyes sound fascinating - on paper or canvas??? I don't know if you can get them over here but it sounds like something I'd love to experiment with - how lightfast are they?

Do show us some - you just upload them to the gallery and once they've been approved and appear (next day usually for me in my time zone) you can link them so they appear in your post.
0 Replies

Aldistar

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 09:44 pm
[quote="Vivien]The Doc Marten dyes sound fascinating - on paper or canvas??? I don't know if you can get them over here but it sounds like something I'd love to experiment with - how lightfast are they?
[/color][/quote]

You have to use Doc Martens on paper or illustration board, any surface you would feel comfortable using for watercolor or ink washes. I know you can order them online at kubertsworld.com inside there cartoonists depot. (this is the art school I graduated from). They are not very lightfast at all, that is there one major drawback. No direct sunlight or you will have a blank piece of paper again within the year. I still find they are worth it, though. I just love the color they create.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 12:44 pm
thanks for the info - what a shame about the lightfastness. Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Vivien
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2004 01:08 pm
truth
Vivien, thanks for your comments. My PM doesn't work,so I couldn't respond. BTW, yes, show them to your students even as negative examples. Thanks again Very Happy
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2004 01:04 pm
Re: truth
JLNobody wrote:
Vivien, thanks for your comments. My PM doesn't work,so I couldn't respond. BTW, yes, show them to your students even as negative examples. Thanks again Very Happy

NOT negative examples!! Laughing

They were good! You really should post some of them -did you get the list of the ones i particularly liked?
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2004 04:51 pm
truth
Vivien. Yes I got the list of favorites, and, enjoyably, they were for the most part, my favorites as well. By the way I looked at the Gallery 4 computer abstracts on your Geosites website. Very interesting compsitions/designs! I VERY much like those abstractions with human forms imbedded in them.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2004 01:19 pm
Thanks

i had the use-it-or-lose-it note from geocities so i had to add to it and altered it a bit. It did me a favour really and made me get on with it - I was worried whether it was working ok from other computers but it must be if you saw it ok I'm a real beginner at web design - I doubt if Craven even rates it as web design, using frontpage!!! html is mostly a deep dark mystery to me Confused

I've been asked to do a site for the local pastel society - I had said it was too much to take on alone but i may have a go. Design by committee doesn't always work!
0 Replies