Art a subject or an ability?

farmerman

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 05:58 pm
You mean like secretions (fluids)? yeah, I looked at the Kirschall listing once when I never knew much about Mozart. I was dumbfounded that somebody made up a catalog system of his work , he was that prolific. Now I love Mozart quartets and his little works . He seems to me to have never used a melody line more than once . He was truly amazing.
Miles Davis , is like a jazz version of Mozart. I have all his albums (actual 33s) and have reburned them onto cDs. Trouble is that, even with noise limiters, the albums sound so much more rich than a CD, so its a regression in quality
If Im working in the office , its Miles. if Im painting , its either Mozart, Bach,Vivaldi, Bluegrass, or Xydeco. Whenever Im in the field or doing mine work, its the Beatles or the Stones.

Hmmm Ive gone waay7 off topic as usual, I notice that Im starting to drive around with one of my turn signals on every so often. Is the end Near?
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 06:53 pm
art
Relax, that's no more than a JUNIOR moment.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 07:20 pm
well then, I feel ok, but I could use some tea. Ive been carrying on about fossils over on another thread. Its fun cause theres a guy who checks in every so often and hes a very intelligent and totally unconvinced skeptic. I love that stuff.
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2003 01:30 pm
I think art is also cumulative but simplisity almost always rules
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2003 03:15 pm
art
I like to think--although I know it's not realistic--that every time I begin a painting it's like I'm painting for the first time. I don't give (much) conscious thought to technique or to principles of design/composition (well, not too often) or to some ideal of the finished product. Actually, my ideal goal is what I will produce by means of the very first brush strokes... and then see what happens from there.
All this can't be the whole story, of course. My work DOES to some extent represent what training I have assimilated from my and others' paintings and art classes. Yet--and this is what I've been trying to say, I guess--I don't want to fetishize any of those sources of ability. I want to start as fresh as possible. To surprise myself. Otherwise, much of the fun of it would be missing.
I am aware after writing the above that there are two ways of describing how I work. One is a reconstruction of what I THINK has been happening (this risks contamination by ideals and wishes) and the other is what ACTUALLY has happened (the cold and objective facts of the matter). Only the first kind can be summarized in a legible description, of course, but the goal is to make the first coincide as much as possible with the second. ONe can only try.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2003 06:02 pm
samples, please.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2003 06:06 pm
I invest a lot of time in the planning of what my visual message is. Usually I do lots of studies and planned prelims. Then I always put a paintings plan away for a period of time. This time varies from a few days to over a year. When I comwe bacxk to it (and I always have) I seem to start fresh .

I have an annoying (to me ) habit of starting in the center of a painting and working out freom there.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2003 06:19 pm
art
Farmerman, if I did representational (especialy wild life) paintings, I would, I suspect try to do just what you do. With more abstract work, less may be more, in terms of planning and preparing.
Portal, who were you addressing when you asked for samples? And what do you mean by samples, pictures?
0 Replies

katya8

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2003 04:45 pm
Confused This is my very first post in this forum. And I've got nothing to say yet, even though I'm an artist myself.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2003 07:28 pm
art
Good start, Katya. WECOME
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2003 07:47 pm
Katya8, welcome here.

We are artists of diverse interests - although it isn't necessary to make/do art to participate. In any case, we are a pretty supportive group and are glad to talk about our studios (or not having one) or our techniques (troubles or triumphs) or art history, and .... more.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2003 11:25 pm
were all pretty harmless , and many of us actually like people that paint.

SO WELCOME KATYA
0 Replies

katya8

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2003 08:01 am
Confused Thanks for the kind welcome.

Are you still discussing the thread's header? If so, I do believe that artists are born, not made, and tend to (slightly) resent all those who call themselves artists when that's not what they are. I mean......how any people fake being attorneys, physicians, or roofers?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2003 10:05 am
I keep telling my attorney that with all the money hecharges me, he should soon have enough to enroll in law school
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2003 10:32 am
I am a painter. It is for others to decide if I'm an "artist", and it really doesn't matter much to me whether they use that designator, or not. I paint. It's nice to sell a piece to reduce the backlog, and help pay for the materials I use up, but sales don't make an "artist" either.

A person graduates from RISD, and with good promotion, puts in an "installation" at a major art museum consisting of two trashcans selected randomly where one is presented with the lid on, and the other on its side with garbage spilled out over the polished marble museum floor. Is that art? How about the person who inherited 50,000 film packs and a poloroid whose "art" consists of photographing themselves once each hour until the film is all used up. Is that art? What if these performance artist's work is never shown, or is seen but unrecognized by the passerby? The critic's choices of who to call and "artist" is just as suspect as Joe Sixpack.

I paint. Its one of the things I do.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2003 01:35 pm
truth
Wonderful, Asherman. I couldn't agree more.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2003 09:12 pm
Re: art
JLNobody wrote:
Farmerman, if I did representational (especialy wild life) paintings, I would, I suspect try to do just what you do. With more abstract work, less may be more, in terms of planning and preparing.
Portal, who were you addressing when you asked for samples? And what do you mean by samples, pictures?

You, because you were talking about your artwork. It is important to me to see the art which is being discussed. By samples I mean photographs of your work.

Farmerman - do you sketch out what you're doing first? Block in the colors for the whole painting? Or do you render from a small section outward, like freud?
0 Replies

MuzikQueen79

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 02:58 pm
Re: Art a subject or an ability?
Craven de Kere wrote:
Sometimes it seems (to me) that art is less about ability than it is about a subject to be knowlegeable about.

Sometimes it seems Art is considered an aquired taste or aquired knowledge and not an ability or expression.

All my life I've loved art (the expression) and have never paid much attention to art history etc.

I've, in the past (I don't do much art these days), done some pretty good stuff but I could never fit into the art scene.

Does anyone know this feeling?

Yes i do know what you mean, i have found that too. I don't feel that i fit in anywhere, especially the art scene. There are so many artists out there that know so much about art history and what not. I've never studied art history myself. I just do my own thing. The art field i find is just confusing, i hate all these people that talk about your art and say "oh you did it this way to express the blah, blah, blah". What the hell are they talking about? I just draw or paint because i want to create rather than destroy, because i want to get out my anger or frustration or because i am just plain bored and want something creative to do. I have never gotten into the art scene, and i don't want to. I just want to do my own thing and if people want my art, great, if they don't, who cares. That's life.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 03:42 pm
Welcome to a2k, musik queen!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 03:43 pm
Welcome to a2k, musik queen!
0 Replies