Now Why'd They Have to go and Say THAT on the News?

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2008 03:21 pm
This morning when there was gunfire as the French president was boarding at the airport to leave Israel, MSNBC broke in for a special report.

The news woman said "Gunfire was heard and two female soldiers fainted...blah blah blah, no one hurt, we'll tell you more as we learn about the gunfire that apparently was heard at the Israeli airport causing 2 female soldiers to faint and the french president and Prime minister blah blah blah no one hurt after gunfire heard causing 2 female soldiers to faint..."

Holy Cripes! There was gunfire as the French President arrived at the airport and other dignataries were there and the news person kept throwing in jibberish about 2 female soldiers fainting.

What the heck did that contribute to the story?

Ever hear stuff like that that is unnecessary, redundant, out of place for "news" and say "Why the heck did they say THAT?"

Post it here.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,308 • Replies: 14
No top replies

TTH

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2008 03:28 pm
The news reporter was serious and said the tomato problem was President Bush's fault Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2008 03:32 pm
Causing the two to faint.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2008 03:42 pm
And someone to shoot.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2008 04:11 pm
I guess it just struck me as odd that the reporter would keep saying that it caused two FEMALE SOLDIERS to faint. They are in a sensitive part of the world, in an important position to protect and our news reporter kept repeating that they behaved as if they were in a scene from Gone with the Wind or something.

I just didn't see the need to keep reporting that part of the "news" instead of saying extended stuff about the French Presidents location or ... Something to fill the space while she listened through her ear piece for more information.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2008 04:16 pm
i agree.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2008 04:33 pm
I recall one news anchor on the line with a reporter in the field. He kept speaking of the chaos of the situation. Then, he said to the reporter, "Just how chaotic is it?"

The reporter looked annoyed. "There's no chaos here."

They just blather to fill air space when there's no script.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2008 04:42 pm
Yeah, I was just thinking what edgarblythe said - when there's no script, you really find out how incompetent they are. I remember during the 911 reporting that very morning, the anchorpeople were repeating the same stuff over and over and over... just waiting for updates.

But then, you often get the same ads 5 - 6 times during a half hour tv show, so maybe it's becoming the norm? That kind of repetition ensures I won't be buying that product.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2008 05:49 pm
It drives me crazy when there's a breaking news report and there are no solid facts, no imagery, no witnesses, no nothing, just a rumor of maybe somehow someone did something somewhere. All in the effort to break the story first.
Drives me crazy!
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2008 09:08 pm
The fact that two soldiers fainted is, I think, worth noting. The fact that those soldiers were female, on the other hand, doesn't really add much. I doubt that, if they had been male, the anchorcreature would have said "... and two male soldiers fainted."
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2008 07:16 am
It seems to me that soldiers who faint at the sound of gunfire present a problem... perhaps a newsworthy problem.

Isn't not fainting an important part of the ability to do this particular job?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2008 07:22 am
maybe they were just pretending to be shot to stop the shooter from firing any more rounds?

YEAH!
thats it.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2008 10:31 am
I thought the salient point of the news story was that a Druze soldier (in the Israeli army) committed suicide.
0 Replies

TilleyWink

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2008 12:28 am
Just another example of why we do not need 24 hour news. We never did. Thirty minutes an evening was just fine plus news papers.
0 Replies

gamingimitation

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2008 02:35 pm
I guess they thought that would be more interesting rather than the French president being in the middle of gun shot. Sensationalism at it's finest hour.
0 Replies