Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2008 08:54 am
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 590 • Replies: 2
No top replies

firefly

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2008 04:58 pm
I agree that taking money for speaking before these groups may certainly compromise a jounalist's objectivity, and, at the very least, may raise the appearance of impropriety, for both the journalist and the paper that employs him. The Post, apparently, does not appear terribly troubled by the fact that two of it's stars seem to ignore the rules of their own paper. If they were bothered they would terminate their contracts.

I'm really not familiar with the background of this situation. Does Ken Silverstein have a particular axe to grind with Woodward or the Post that goes beyond this issue? He clearly implies that Woodward and Broder are liars, and suggests some deceptiveness is going on with Woodward's charitable foundation. All of these revelations are designed to put pressure on the Post. But, to what end? What is Silverstein after?
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 10:13 am
The Post and Woodward have conflicts of interest. They use each other to promote Woodward's books. ---BBB

Woodward's New 'Wash Post' Contract Includes Less Pay, Same Deal -- As His 'Bush IV' Book Nears Publication
Bob Woodward
By Joe Strupp - E & P
Published: August 05, 2008

Bob Woodward will remain with The Washington Post under new executive editor Marcus Brauchli, although with a new title and a reduced annual salary, Woodward told E&P Tuesday.

"My status has not changed, although in a technical way it has," Woodward told E&P. "I am on call to the editor of the Post when they deem that they need reporting and editing from me."

Woodward, who had served in the role of assistant managing editor for years under outgoing executive editor Len Downie, said his salary has been reduced from $10,000 per year to $100 per month under a contract he signed in May.

"Bob Woodward is someone we want to have available to us," Publisher Katharine Weymouth told E&P. "He is a unique, incredible talent we would want to be associated with."

The salary change followed Woodward's decision to take the buyout offered to Post employees last spring, which resulted in more than 100 newsroom staffers leaving. He would not disclose his buyout payment, which is likely among the larger amounts since he had been a Post employee since 1971.

"I love the newspaper, I think of it as part of my family," Woodward said. "I have worked there for 37 years and there are things I can do and will do for the paper."

Along with the salary reduction, Woodward's title will be changed from assistant managing editor to associate editor. "I assist nothing, I manage nothing and I edit nothing," Woodward joked about the previous title. "But I am available in any way they want me. On the bench or in the bullpen."

Woodward said the new contract allows him to spend most of his time on outside projects and books, but be available to work for the paper when needed. He cited his spending several months full-time at the Post to help with editing after the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks.

He said that the Post will excerpt his next book, his fourth on the Bush Administration, when it is released Sept. 8. It will be the 14th Woodward book to be excerpted in the paper, dating back to "The Final Days," which he co-authored with Carl Bernstein in 1976.

The top-secret, still untitled book -- the cover art has not yet been released either -- is briefly described, with some tantalizing hints, at Amazon.com as "Bob Woodward's fourth book about the Bush presidency at war [that] declassifies the secrets of America's political and military involvement in Iraq. It will be essential reading for all citizens -- and candidates -- in this election year." It is said to run almost 500 pages.

Woodward said he asked the Post to cut his contract salary to $1 per year, noting how much time he spends away from the paper and its difficult economic times.

"All along I had said I don't want to take their money. My income comes from books. There is a convulsion in the news business. The Post has economic troubles," he said. "In the Katharine Graham era, it was awash in money. That is not the case now."

Woodward said he agreed to the $100 per month amount, citing it as a more "standard" stipend for his kind of situation. He also welcomed Brauchli and praised his experience and ability.

"He is going to be an excellent editor for the Post," said Woodward, who had breakfast with Brauchli less than three weeks ago to discuss his status. "He realizes he's got a big task and is talking to people and getting ideas and so forth. He has an immense understanding of the business."

Woodward said he told Brauchli, "all you have to do is pick up the phone or e-mail me and I am available." Brauchli, who is set to take over in September, did not immediately return a call for comment Tuesday.

Woodward, 65, said he is "of the old generation" but believes "it is vital that institutions like the Post keep their independence and that tradition of accountability reporting. But, at the same time, it is a new media world."

In meeting with Brauchli, Woodward said, "I was blown away by what he knows about the business and the old traditions and culture and values as well as the new ones. He is going to be a great editor."
0 Replies