tense

fansy

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2008 08:26 am
Quote:
... and handed a letter to Kenji Tanigawa, Vice Mayor of the City of Tokyo, who [was] in charge of Tokyo's bid to host the 2016 Olympic Games...

Can we use "was" in this sentence for the sake of agreement? Or can we use "is" instead for the sake of being faithful to the fact that the vice mayor still is and continues to be in charge of the job until 2016?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 488 • Replies: 7
No top replies

TTH

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2008 09:58 am
The bid is over right? Then I would use "was".
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2008 10:03 am
Re: tense
fansy wrote:
Quote:
... and handed a letter to Kenji Tanigawa, Vice Mayor of the City of Tokyo, who [was] in charge of Tokyo's bid to host the 2016 Olympic Games...

Can we use "was" in this sentence for the sake of agreement?

NO. It's irrelevant here.

fansy wrote:
Quote:
.Or can we use "is" instead for the sake of being faithful to the fact that the vice mayor still is and continues to be in charge of the job until 2016?

If the vice mayor is still in charge, as is stated, then YES, use IS.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2008 10:32 am
Maybe I didn't understand the question right.

If the bidding is over, then he was in charge of the bidding job. If he is currently hosting the event, then he is in charge of that job. Is the bidding job going to last until the year 2016 because that doesn't make sense to me Confused
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2008 10:34 am
Don't think it's crucial what job he's doing as he's still involved. Therefore, IS.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2008 10:43 am
Sorry Mame I have to agree to disagree with you. I think what job is being talked about is relevant.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2008 06:28 pm
Re: tense
fansy wrote:
Quote:

Can we use "was" in this sentence for the sake of agreement? Or can we use "is" instead for the sake of being faithful to the fact that the vice mayor still is and continues to be in charge of the job until 2016?

We don't use tenses for the sake of agreement, Fansy. We use tense to describe the appropriate/intended meaning.

The vice mayor can't be in charge of the "bid process" until 2016, because the winner must be notified some years prior in order that they may adequately prepare. Have the 2016 Olympics been awarded yet?
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2008 08:01 pm
Obviously not a critical issue Smile
0 Replies