NOTICEABLE MOVIE GOOFS

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 01:43 pm
Anybody whose seen Spartacus remembers the scene with Peter UStinov wearing loafers. This AM on AMC, they showed the first remake of KING KONG (the one with Jeff Bridges ). At the ending of the movie they did a couple of tight closeups on the monkeys face and there, in full frame, were several pieces of fabric blowing in the wind. They were apparently attached to Kongs upper lip . The result of this was to make the shot appear rather cheesey and fake. (I understand that the director wants us to dispense with reality by his contrivances) well, in this case, it made the monkeys face appear like a sock monkey.

Any others that you can relate? I love to see bad shots in megabucks productions. Camerons TITANIOC had several really good ones and I cannot recall what part of the flick, but I recall some pan shots of the Titanic moving on the ocean and you just knew that the little people on the deckswere cartoons, they looked that bad.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 3,351 • Replies: 46
No top replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 01:47 pm
Oh yes, look here.... Laughing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9tBFBULj90
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 01:54 pm
Not so much a movie goof, but an urban legend....

That scene in the Wizard of Oz where Dorothy, Tin Man and Scarecrow march off down the yellow brick road?

There's that myth that in the background a munchkin is hanging himself.

how stupid.

When I was a kid, it was a given that you'd watch the Wizard of Oz every year (kinda like a Charlie Brown Christmas). This was years and years before I heard of the munchkin story. I noticied something weird moving in the background, but it happened so fast.

So, next year, obsessive compulsive child that I was, I glued myself in front of the TV and watched with a eagle eye.

Before the shot in question, I noticed birds like herons or cranes in the background. When the trio started skipping down the path, it was obvious, even to a little kid, it was a crane that flapped his wings right then.

Here's an 8 second clip.

People say it's a munchin swinging out, but I have no idea how you can see that.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 02:01 pm
Star wars

one of those white troopers hits its head on the top of the hallway and everyone sees it, yet they keep going..
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 02:02 pm
People really think that was a person?

Oh my god.. you can SEE the big bird costume RIGHT THERE..

people are sick
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 02:05 pm
Do you mean Big Bird?

no, it's a real bird.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 02:07 pm
huh?

that big black bird that is standing right there.. where you se the black thing move.
Thats its wing..

it isnt a costume?

then.......... thats one BIG ass bird.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 02:10 pm
storm trooper
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 05:07 pm
I beleive it was in "The Searchers" where a jet is flying overhead and the contrail is easily seen in the film. That predated the time when the postproduction folks could digitally remove the visual chaff.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 05:09 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
huh?

that big black bird that is standing right there.. where you se the black thing move.
Thats its wing..

it isnt a costume?

then.......... thats one BIG ass bird.

maybe 3 ft tall I'd say.

farmerman, what do you mean about the jet?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 05:16 pm
I mean a jet airplane was going overhead. They took the sound out but left the white trail in the sky.

ALSO, in the Wizard of oz, the scarecrow screwewd up the pythagorean theorem when he got his PhD from the wizard
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 05:17 pm
In one of those stupid volcano movies there was a shot of a car driving over the lava. My ex (a volcanologist) says the tires would have been toast before they even hit the lava. He snickered the whole way through that movie. Whatever it was.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 05:20 pm
Training Day

police is digging a huge hole in a guy's kitchen.... yet there is no soil or debris around....it's just a clean cut hole, contents of which went * poof * somehow.

The munchkin suicide is indeed a hoax. It was a crane that the filming crew borrowed from LA ZOO to give the indoors set a livelier feel. The snopes has the whole story.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 05:21 pm
Suspension of reality is an allowed trick. However, actual goofs that show up in the film must be brought up. I guess my pythagorean theorem reference is a reality suspension trick where the formula quoted by the tinman was actually a better sound on screen.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 05:24 pm
On a side note... not to derail the thread... but I always wonder why:

1. the CSI guys don't cover their hair when investigating a scene (Hello, littering??)

and

2. why they're always investigating in the dark. I mean, it's not the X-Files, for heaven's sake!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 05:26 pm
jever notice that all tv phone numbers start with 555?, even in Strasburg Pa.
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 11:34 pm
It's silly, but one goof that's always bugged me is the scene in Roxanne where Steve Martin is challenged to tell 20 jokes. At one point he asks the crowd, "How many is that?" and someone responds "14!" By that point, however, he's already told 19. He goes on to tell another 6. I guess the director wasn't expecting the audience to actually keep count.
0 Replies

barrythemod

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2008 03:48 am
Usually'I'm too engrossed in a film to notice any goofs untill pointed out by other,sharper eyed viewers BUT here's a few from Quadrophenia.
The story is set in the sixties but a modern(late Seventies) train can be seen from Jimmy's bedroom window.
Jimmy's cigarette vanishes from his fingers 3 times when he is giving Monkey some "tablets" in the Cafe.
After having "a bit of the other" in the alley,Jimmy and Steph,along with a crowd of others,are chased by the Police,and Steph's shoe colour changes from white to brown.
Near the end of the film,when Jimmy is riding The Face's Vespa along the cliff-top,the camera helicopter's shadow is clearly seen on the grass.Also the fly-screen on the scooter appears and dissapears at random intervals.
Jimmy's Lambretta is really an SX 150 and not a TV.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2008 04:45 am
And now, not what's in the film, but what went missing?

What happened to the dog in Rocky I?

Big scene where he gets the dog followed by big scene with he runs with the dog......after that, poof, no dog.

Joe(sit bubu sit)Nation
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2008 05:15 am
there were contract problems with the dog. He kept demanding only the vegetable kibbles to be removed from his food, and his trailer was too small.

Actors.
0 Replies