Your first ever job

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2008 02:47 pm
In high school, I worked in the cafeteria. Got fed and paid real money.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2008 03:25 pm
I started working at 14. I taught gymnastic in the town recreation department.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2008 04:28 pm
I was a cashier and candy-counter girl at Woolworth's. They didn't like it when I pointed out maggots in the fresh roasted cashews twice in a week...
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2008 05:12 pm
picking hops in bavaria in the summer of 1944 . we were paid 50 pfennings a bushel - and allowed to eat all the gruel we wanted . a pretty dreadful experience !
i realized being a farmer isn't for me ! :wink:
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 07:30 am
Wy wrote:
I was a cashier and candy-counter girl at Woolworth's. They didn't like it when I pointed out maggots in the fresh roasted cashews twice in a week...

You made waves.

when I was 17 I worked in a pizza parlo. One day the was serving up a meatball sandwich and it slid right off the plate onto the floor. He scooped it right up and served it anyway. I wasn't long for that job.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 07:43 am
not my first job... but I worked for Burger Chef (a long gone chain) in Lynchburg for three days... I put rubber puke in a cheeseburger and got fired... and punched in the face by the manager. It was worth it. I was 17.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 08:05 am
We had a Burger Chef in the little town I grew up in. They put it on the main north/south street, but right in the middle of a neighborhood, knocking down an old home to do it.

That meant that Bob Munger, my father's friend who owned the hardware store and just happened to be Fred Bear's best hunting buddy, was now "sandwiched" between a small grocery store and a burger joint. I'm talking about his house, not his store.

Burger Chef burgers sucked, too.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 08:27 am
Didn't Burger Chef come before Burger King?

When I was 18 I worked in a Greek restaurant. The owner used to drink cream as a beverage. Needless to say, his ticker eventually betrayed him.

That had to have been one of the worst jobs I ever had. Talk about getting harrassed. Of course, I wasn't enlightened enough to walk out, I just put up with it.

I'm trying to think where my parents were through any of this-- I think if they'd known I was working around a bunch of men who talked about anal sex all day they'd have thought it was a good way to toughen me up.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 08:28 am
edgarblythe wrote:
In high school, I worked in the cafeteria. Got fed and paid real money.

Wait a minute, I worked in the high school cafeteria too. I've had a lot of jobs.
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 09:08 am
I had a summer job at a very large meat-packing plant. I did light record-keeping and I radioed the mechanics when there was something that needed fixing, like an ammonia leak in building #5, or, we're getting lymph tissue in the bacon again; that sort of thing. The slaughter facility was about a mile away, and (usually) upwind, so (usually) it didn't smell too bad. The place was about 120 years old then, and was a series of tired old concrete and brick buildings, some of which were empty and in disrepair like there'd been a war. The plant has since been completely torn down.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 09:51 am
I started baby-sitting at 11 for 40 cents an hour.

The summer I was 16, I worked at a day care. Low girl on the totem pole, so I pretty much changed diapers all day.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 11:52 am
mac11 wrote:
I started baby-sitting at 11 for 40 cents an hour.

The summer I was 16, I worked at a day care. Low girl on the totem pole, so I pretty much changed diapers all day.

I wonder what the rate is for babysitting now?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 11:58 am
Gala wrote:
Didn't Burger Chef come before Burger King?

When I was 18 I worked in a Greek restaurant. The owner used to drink cream as a beverage. Needless to say, his ticker eventually betrayed him.

That had to have been one of the worst jobs I ever had. Talk about getting harrassed. Of course, I wasn't enlightened enough to walk out, I just put up with it.

I'm trying to think where my parents were through any of this-- I think if they'd known I was working around a bunch of men who talked about anal sex all day they'd have thought it was a good way to toughen me up.

burger chef was long before burger king and was hot **** for years... but eventually waned for various reasons and was bought by Hrdees who converted them.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 12:11 pm
When I was 12 I threw a paper route in the neighborhood.

I am old enough that I hadda rush home from school to throw the evening edition...
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 12:22 pm
Moderator for a TV kids/teenagers show. On and off from about age 10 to 16.... For one year every other Sunday when 15. I made more money than my parents.

Then an office assistant at UN High Commissioner for Refugees in Slovakia. That was during Bosnia and Herzegovina. I got to interview refugees. Wonderful work, hard though.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 12:55 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
Moderator for a TV kids/teenagers show. On and off from about age 10 to 16.... For one year every other Sunday when 15. I made more money than my parents.

Then an office assistant at UN High Commissioner for Refugees in Slovakia. That was during Bosnia and Herzegovina. I got to interview refugees. Wonderful work, hard though.

Was the TV show in the US?
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 01:21 pm
No :-)

Before the Revolution, I moderated the "Pioneer Swallow" - few hours long program for kids with short films, interviews, guests, music....

And "Over the mountains with a backpack" - which was a show about nature for kids. Hiking, bluegrass bands, studio visits from naturalists, scientists, environmentalist...

After the revolution it was Zone D -- similar to the pioneer swallow, but for teenagers. Included going to art exhibits, some reporting, etc. It was very fun.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 01:55 pm
Oh, I totally forgot.

Before working in the flower shop, I did hold another position from 3rd to 6th grade.

I was naval attache for the manasquan river yacht club, my main responsibilty being letting all seafaring vessels know when the tuna was running and when crabs were in season. An auxilary duty was mixing up Manhattens, Rob Roys and the occassional Martini for the commodores.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 08:19 pm
Gala, I not only made waves, I made them throw out the cashews!

I didn't stay there long. My next job was in a bank, working in the back of a branch office. No computers. We tallied everything, posted all the debits and credits to savings accounts (You should see the Goldberg Device that made that possible!), and balanced the branch before we could leave.

The bank closed at 2:30 in the afternoon and I got teased all the time about "bankers' hours" but nobody actually left the building until it balanced... at least five pm.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 08:42 pm
First job: Walking two little dogs for an elderly neighbor who broke her leg. I think I was about nine. She paid me with coins, but I don't remember the amount.

Best Job: Putting together still life arrangements for an art school. I was 16 and I got to go into the prop closet and put together items depending on the daily assignments. Sometimes a Cezanne was called for, other days a Dutch vanitas , or a modern arrangement of bottles. My mother was best friends with the owner of the school and she gave me the job when I told her I was studying art history. I also had to clean up the studios and take care of supplies, I loved every minute of it.
0 Replies