How Well Do You React To Change?

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 04:29 pm
Unexpected Change

Interesting article by Doug Smith. Here are several of the points of the article.

Time after time, changes occur that I can't control and wouldn't have asked for, but that also don't amount to the end of the world. It's often a new direction, often a re-charged effort, usually a source of considerable stress, but you know what? It's also been a great source of growth.

We could talk about this for hours, but for now, here's what I've learned about unexpected change.

Stay the course
As long as we know what our personal mission is--our reason for being, (not the company's) we can manage unexpected change. It may be a strategic moment, a time for big decisions, but if we stay the course, it helps with those big decisions.

Identify what you can influence
If you control it, then you decide. If you can influence the outcome, then you can have an impact and maybe the change won't happen because of your influence. Or, maybe during the thinking process you see how the change is the right thing to do (regardless how discomforting) and use your influence to help others with the change. It is important to identify exactly what you can influence and operate from there.
If you can neither control the change, nor influence the change, it may sound harsh, but here's the tip: get over it. Complaining won't stop something you don't have influence over, and it might poison the waters of your future success.

Influence carefully
What if you can influence the change? It's worth carefully examining the thinking behind the change before deciding whether or not to resist. If you stop a change that's needed, it will inevitably occur anyway--and by then you may have lost your ability to influence or benefit from the change.

Treat people with respect
Sometimes we strongly disagree. There have been many times when I felt like a pawn in a massive chess game that I had no influence over. Even in those times there have been people willing to listen, willing to help, and working to make the change a positive one.

Sometimes, the changes that I resented the most eventually benefited me the most. If I'd trashed the people trying to manage me through those changes, it would have been bad for them, but far worse for me.

Even when we're struggling, we should treat each other with respect, and listen. It's a small world. We'll need to work with each other again. That doesn't mean leaping off the edge of a cliff or acting cult like without using our brains, but it does mean to honor those around us who are dealing with their own struggles.

Anticipate Change
The toughest part about unexpected change is the unexpected part. We don't like to be surprised. But, how much of that surprise factor can we personally mitigate?

If we're paying attention, if we're watching the trends, the competition, the customerÂ…change--or the need for change-- reveals itself before it occurs. It telegraphs its movement. It gives itself away.

By anticipating--and even driving, change, the surprise factor is not only easier to deal with, it's seldom a surprise at all.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,520 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Misti26

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 08:41 pm
I am one who gets bedded down in my job description, and do not like change, initially. However, once I get into it, it generally turns out for the best, and creates a team-work atmosphere all around, everyone seems happier.

I think change is good, it keeps us on our toes and broadens our horizons. If we stay in the same rut, we never grow or improve, and creativity is blocked.

The most successful people are those who welcome change, go with the flow, grow and become assets to all around them. They are creative, take the initiative and promote a willingness to excel.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 08:59 pm
Funny, I react differently depending on the situation. If it's a closed road on my route to work, I deal just fine because I know the street between here and there and I do, as the article says, 'stay the course'.

I have new housemates at least once a year and while I dread the process of finding new ones, I enjoy the getting-to-know the new ones once they move in.

But, when someone moves my coffee filters, puts the dishes back differently - I get flustered.
0 Replies