A commercial that really irks me

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 01:28 pm
Recently, I have been seeing a commercial for some soy drink, brand name 'Sensational' or something. Scenario: A subtitled Chinese news show is on TV, and kid calls for mom: "Mom! Watch this!" She comes over, kid slaps the TV and he can speak Chinese, and the Chinese announcer is speaking English. Subtitles for kid: "I can speak Chinese!" Kid slaps TV again, and things return to normal. "Isn't that awesome?" kid says. Mom says "Yes, it is awesome, but it's not sensational" and returns to her crap-ass soy beverage. Grrrrr.... I know it's supposed to be 'cute' but as a kid that grew up being told constantly I wasn't 'living up to my potential', this really pissed me off. I think it is sending out a very negative message about parenting. Mad I might be oversensitive to this issue, but any thoughts?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,144 • Replies: 28
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 02:20 pm
Most commercials piss me off, because they're just plain irritating. Who dreams up these many ways to irritate people is a special skill. I think I read something many years ago that ads are made to make the person remember it; ergo, irritation which stays in the back of your mind longer.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 04:11 pm
I used to get really loaded and watch commercials with friends equally loaded. We were like the talking gumball machine robots on MS3K.

An observation

In the Jewish faith the fetus is not considered viable until it has graduated from medical college
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 04:13 pm
Lol, so true farmerman....
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 04:19 pm
OH, that's good.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 04:31 pm
Mamajuana, let me edumicate you to a true tale...I grew up Jewish....I am now fully grown last I checked, at 32, a caterer, and things haven't been so great lately for anyone in the Toronto hospitality industry. I was out for lunch just last week with my Jewish mother who typically, asked about my work. I said things were slow. She said: "You know, I always thought you would make a great psychiatrist...it's not too late to go back to school, if this cooking thing doesn't work out." Need I say more?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 04:34 pm
farmerman, Which reminds me of that joke where the mother of two children introduces her children to the kindergarten teacher at school. Meet my son David the doctor, and my daughter Lisa the lawyer.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 04:36 pm
c.i., that can be reworked for later in life: "Meet my son the doctor, and the other one."
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 04:57 pm
cav--you must learn to laugh at your mothers response .
In my instance my father said
"I didnt work my way up to top noncom so you could run around and hunt rocks"
I said, No youre right-you fought for my right to hunt rocks.
Folks dont understand, Its our job. My kid will have nothing to do with college except that it provides him a further chance to become a writer.
Im disappointed hes not heavily into a college education , and he has been doing homework on the subject, but Im not going to stick my head in trhe oven (which, by the way is convection in the RV)
The difference between me and my pop, Im worn out from living my own life to re-enter through a vicarious ride.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 05:00 pm
I've always been the "other one," but the happiest. Being black sheep ain't all that bad.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 05:28 pm
Hey, I can rant in good humour Very Happy It really was just about that commercial bugging me. Actually, my brother is not a doctor. He's doing graduate studies in linguistics at UPenn, and welching money from the folks. We all have a good relationship, supportive even, it's just funny when the stereotypes creep in.
0 Replies

safecracker

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 08:59 pm
I've seen that commercial too but then again we are not far apart cav. Advertising like most careers these days don't give a crap about the image they are giving children, children are not their target audience and they realize most parents don't sit down and think about the image advertising is passing on to their kids. It pisses me off too but I don't watch much TV....none of my family does. I think if your a good parent your influences will shape the child. the child cares what your opinion is of them not some commercial. End resault if you really stay active in your childs life and keep them on the right path marketing will not effect the strong mind and confidence you provide them with. They have you right there telling them how you feel they care they want to earn your respect and see your love.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2003 02:43 am
There are several commercials that I could add, but the one that pisses me off the most is where the baby is left with the father while the mother goes to some store to shop the sales and as soon as the child starts making some noise, the father says "where's your mother"?! I would just love to be able to put my hand through the tv just once to strangle the guy. Nothing like sending out a message that it's the moms job to take care of the kids.
0 Replies

safecracker

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2003 03:10 am
Really, I feel that commercial would convey the attitude that men are not good parents, it's stereotypical. I'd rather strangle the commercial writers as the actor is just doing his job...acting Smile
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2003 04:38 am
Still, that was a good one to add. I've seen that one too.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2003 06:43 am
Personally, I like the one with the two burned out dudes in the muscle car. They pull next to a gentleman in a Dodge Ram at the stoplight and one of the dudes yells, "Hey! Does that thing have a hemi in it?"
At that point the light turns green and the guy in the truck easily beats the burn-outs to the next light. When they sheepishly pull next to him, he leans out the window and points to the Dodge Charger which is on a trailer he's towing. "Were you talking about the charger?" he asks, "cause that's got a hemi in it too."

It's a hell of a commercial. Doesn't have anything to do with parenting or anything, but I just thought I'd toss that in since we were talking about commercials. Next time: my favorite aspirin commercials.

Thanks for listening,

Gus
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2003 07:31 am
What is a hemi?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2003 07:34 am
A hemi is a high performance engine. Don't they have those in Australia?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2003 07:37 am
Buggered if I know.

It's like this - the little kid rushes up to his mother who is doing the dishes - "Mummy! Mummy! What's an orgasm?!"

She replies: "I don't know - ask your father."

I have never had a hemi.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2003 07:38 am
For Australian who care about such things
0 Replies