If falsifications and rumours are posted often enough ...

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2008 03:22 pm
"Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam" ( "In addition, I believe that Carthage must be destroyed") - Cato the Elder ended his speeches in the Senate in Rome so often with this sentence .... until the Third Punic War started and sealed the end of the Carthaginian empire.

I wonder, if all these anti-Obama campaigns will finally lead to the wanted result as well.

If something is said, posted, emailed, blogged often enough - it will become true at some time?

'Ceterum censeo Obama esse delendum"?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 848 • Replies: 14
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2008 03:30 pm
Re: If falsifications and rumours are posted often enough ..
Walter Hinteler wrote:
"Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam" ( "In addition, I believe that Carthage must be destroyed") - Cato the Elder ended his speeches in the Senate in Rome so often with this sentence .... until the Third Punic War started and sealed the end of the Carthaginian empire.

I wonder, if all these anti-Obama campaigns will finally lead to the wanted result as well.

If something is said, posted, emailed, blogged often enough - it will become true at some time?

'Ceterum censeo Obama esse delendum"?

I think it clearly does, which is why I worry re the right's smear machine.

And, research suggests that contradicting smears with evidence just cements the smear.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2008 03:41 pm
Re: If falsifications and rumours are posted often enough ..
dlowan wrote:

And, research suggests that contradicting smears with evidence just cements the smear.

"He kicked me."
"No, I didn't. It was totally different ....."

'Something must be true - otherwise he wouldn't react, isn't it?'
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2008 03:58 pm
Just a brief scan of the political threads here reveals that smears emerge as often from the left as the right - perhaps more so.

I don't think there are any anti Obama threads here comparable to Bumblebeeboogie's "In case you Needed any proof that John Mccain is and always was a Scumbag" Thread.

The real difference is that Obama supporters seem to be remarkably blind to their own hypocrisy.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2008 05:51 am
This is rich -- the rumor-monger looking for validation that his efforts will be successful. Perfect.

Guess that means that when I show you as a stalker creep then we can just stop there without getting into the details, eh Walter?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2008 06:04 am
When you think so.

However, this post was inspired by a report in the German magazin Spiegel (spiegel-online), in the 'Politics' section.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2008 06:36 am
Oh, is that what inspired it, walt?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2008 07:18 am
georgeob1 wrote:

I don't think there are any anti Obama threads here comparable to Bumblebeeboogie's "In case you Needed any proof that John Mccain is and always was a Scumbag" Thread.

The real difference is that Obama supporters seem to be remarkably blind to their own hypocrisy.

I suppose there aren't any Obama threads like Bumblebee's about McCain. The Obama threads are smear and run without any support. Bumblebee's thread while misguided supplies sources for all the allegations. Many of them not much more than a person's opinion.

The Obama threads contain statements like

Quote:
Obama is a marxist thief who must be defeated at all costs.

Quote:
Mrs. Obama is unfit to be first lady of the greatest and proudest country in the world.

The real threads on the right that have no comparison to BBB's are the ones attacking Michelle Obama.
Michelle Obama has hated America for over 40 years

I can't think of any thread started by a liberal just to attack McCain's wife. Attacking McCain for leaving his first wife for his next wife isn't an attack on the woman personally. It is an attack on McCain's character and "character counts" if I remember correctly from the GOP.

But for utter stupidity you need to look at the thread about Obama trying to "hide his birth certificate". Talk about a nonsense attack. It is not about the issues. It is not about the man. It is nothing more than an attempt to paint Obama as "unamerican."
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2008 08:52 am
georgeob1 wrote:
Just a brief scan of the political threads here reveals that smears emerge as often from the left as the right - perhaps more so.

Quite the funny comment, considering the wide array of smears and insults presented towards Obama on this site by many on the right-wing.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2008 09:24 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
georgeob1 wrote:

Quite the funny comment, considering the wide array of smears and insults presented towards Obama on this site by many on the right-wing.

Cycloptichorn

Cyclo, you are the blindest of the blind; the hypocrite-in-chief.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2008 09:38 am
georgeob1 wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
georgeob1 wrote:

Cycloptichorn

Cyclo, you are the blindest of the blind; the hypocrite-in-chief.

What a bunch of crap, George. You're just miffed that somebody pointed out the absurdity of your behavior in the other thread; that you as well react with rancor when your candidate is unfairly attacked, yet pretend that only Obama supporters engage in this behavior. It was the entire point of the discussion.

You of course have not been as heavy-handed in your rhetoric, but there was plenty of text written about how Obama's decisions and associations were not only fair to consider but quite relevant. It's entirely equal to what BBB and others have written about McCain; attacks which are at best tangentially relevant to the election of the candidate, yet can be used to sway those without much political knowledge.

Until you address this, you remain firmly in the hypocrite camp, George.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

rabel22

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2008 06:52 pm
Cyclo
Since you are acting so like a conserative republican you can no longer be a democrat. I HAVE SPOKEN!
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2008 06:57 pm
In my opinion, even after the election is won by one candidate, the smears will continue by some of those that wanted the other candidate. It has been a long time, I believe, that the country has been so divided, perhaps?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2008 07:18 pm
Foofie wrote:
It has been a long time, I believe, that the country has been so divided, perhaps?

Only since the first Washington administration.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2008 07:20 pm
Sounds about right, but who needs perspective?
0 Replies