Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2008 07:58 am
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,801 • Replies: 21
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2008 08:05 am
I feel sorry for the kid, but what the hell? **** happens. If I were her, I would hire a lawyer, and sue the manager, and the corporation. I also would make sure that I was on one of the talk shows, and embarrassed Wal-Mart, so something like that would not happen again.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2008 08:08 am
Re: Walmart Money Orders Can Put the Innocent in Jail
edgarblythe wrote:

The spokesperson did claim that the decision to pursue charges was up to the law enforcement officials on the scene. But the copy of the criminal complaint obtained by 11 News, shows that the store manager is who pressed charges.

This is a bit silly on the part of the writer/editor. The two are exclusive of each other. The store manager can't order the police to take someone into custody. The manager can press charges all they'd like but the police still have to investigate the charges and decide if an arrest is warranted or not.

But anyway, Walmart will be settling this one for a large chunk of change... and they should.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2008 08:15 am
About all the police officers had to go on was the manager's word.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2008 08:17 am
I smell several semesters at texas U.(on WalMart of course)
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2008 08:18 am
All they had to do was investigate whether the money orders really were from Walmart and ask the young woman to provide proof of purchase while they were all still in the store.

She needn't have been charged whatsoever. Why is it the prosecutors could understand but the police could not?

I agree with Phoenix and I hope she sues their ass.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2008 09:10 am
Mame, you just don't go to the police for legal advice. Ever.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2008 09:14 am
Well, even if they took her downtown to the station, they could have investigated there without charging her. Proof of purchase should have been sufficient.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2008 09:20 am
She couldn't provide proof of purchase. She didn't purchase them, she accepted them as "cash" payment when she sold her car. Then she tried to use them as cash for purchases at Wal-Mart. The fact that they were originally purchased from Wal-Mart by the person who bought her car is irrelevant.

What a mess! I seldom advocate suing for emotional damages but I'd make an exception in this case.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2008 10:01 am
This was what I was referring to:

"The district attorney's office saw it differently. Charges were dropped after the money orders were verified when Gipson provided the purchase receipts."

Could this not have been done at the store?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2008 10:03 am
mebbe she had to track down the person who bought them to come up with the purchase receipts which took 48 hours... dunno.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2008 10:11 am
But can you really stay behind bars - just because someone accuses you of passing bogus money orders? And without a court order?
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2008 10:23 am
Yes.

What if she hadn't been able to show proof of purchase?

How long would she have stayed there?
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2008 10:27 am
Walmart has corporate policy of no forgiveness when it comes to shoplifters and employee theft, and they have a top notch detection program. It is a profit issue for them. This mistake can not be separated from the corporate culture.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2008 11:16 am
Obviously their dectection system is not top notch.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2008 02:08 pm
I'm wondering why she didn't have a bail hearing. Or, it's possible that she did have one and had no resources to pay her bond other than the money orders they confiscated at the time of her arrest. sheeeesh.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2008 02:19 pm
WOW!

I used to have to pay my rent by money order because bank of america took its slow ass time adding my landlords company to its automatic bill pay
( In fact they never did. . but that is beside the point)

So I would make a money order, then go to Compass Bank and deposit it into his account.

twice I was questioned on the validity of the money order.
Both times it was confirmed by phone call and the entire ordeal done with in less then about 25 minutes.

this case makes no sense to me.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2008 02:30 pm
Seems that there had been a similar case, with Wachovia in the other one:

2 Blame Racial Profiling For Wrongful Arrest
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2008 07:48 pm
6 figures and the first number aint a one.

You go girl. If Wally MArt has a hard ass policy that does not recognize its own mistakes, then it needs to learn the phrase "PUNITIVE DAMAGES"
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2008 07:55 pm
hawkeye10 wrote:
Walmart has / a top notch detection program.

that doesn't actually appear to be the case.

nasty company. I can hardly wait til their prices have to go up and up and up because of the cost of transporting all of their products from China.
0 Replies