ANYONE BUT WEBB

snood

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2008 04:40 pm
I liked him from the first couple of times I heard him speak. Most everything I found out since then has made me like and respect him more.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2008 08:51 pm
kuvasz wrote:

Your own remarks about Webb ought to be held in relief against the following remarks made in that bastion of liberal-Marxist thought, The Wall Street Journal.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121400455088993487.html?mod=special_page_campaign2008_topbox

Quote:
Sen. Webb, a politician for less than two years, could be a risky combatant for the Democratic party. The 62-year-old lawmaker and novelist has a zeal that sometimes defies political niceties: He didn't shake President Bush's hand when the president asked about his son's deployment to Iraq. Some of his views aren't politically correct. He contends that "poor whites" are an oppressed class, and defends Confederate soldiers for fighting for state sovereignty.

Quote:
Descended from Scottish-Irish settlers who became pioneers in the Virginia mountains, Sen. Webb was born in Missouri into a military family that moved some 20 times during his childhood. He graduated from the Naval Academy in 1968 and went into the Marine Corps, where he served as a rifle platoon and company commander in Vietnam. He earned several medals for valor including the Navy Cross, one of the military's highest honors, in part for using his own body to shield a fellow soldier from an exploding grenade.

As to your remarks about webb's disaffiliations of working class credentials,

Quote:
Some of his views aren't politically correct. He contends that "poor whites" are an oppressed class, and defends Confederate soldiers for fighting for state sovereignty.

Noted as well, that like the working class his military experience is analogous, viz., he too carried the heavy load while Mccain was a member of the military elite as a pilot who did not get his hands dirty until being shot down.

Quote:
During Senate debate recently over the legislation( new GI Bill), an interesting dynamic emerged between Sens. Webb, McCain and Hagel -- all three Vietnam vets who had differing experiences of the war. Sens. Webb and Hagel were combat soldiers, whereas Sen. McCain (who originally opposed the bill) was a naval pilot and longtime prisoner of war. The three got to know one another only after returning to the U.S. in the 1970s.

"Not to denigrate John's five-and-a-half years in prison, but Jim and I have the perspective of being on the ground, doing the dirty work and seeing terrible and bloody suffering," Sen. Hagel says. "Jim and I have always been focused on the bottom ranks who are carrying the load."

As well, promoting his liberal, elite tendencies that cut against the grain of working class males;

Quote:
Until his run for the Senate in 2006, Sen. Webb says he never officially affiliated with a political party. Married three times, he has five children ranging in age from 1 to 38. In what he calls a rite of passage like a "Southern bar mitzvah," he says that, except for his toddler, "I've taught all my children how to shoot."

So you got a Marine who won a Navy Cross for valor and an Emmy Award for journalism, who thinks poor white people are getting the shaft, and who walks around with a pistol and teaches his own kids to shoot guns, yet consider him a dilettante who is just affecting working class values?

nhuh huh, friend. Webb is the guy who ought to be sitting in the Oval Office, but I'll settle for VP at the moment.

If one is looking for a 21st century avatar and amalgum of JFK and RFK, James Webb suits the bill.

You've leapt to a false conclusion.

I don't think him a member of the liberal elite (quite to the contrary), nor do I consider him a dilettante who is affecting working class values.

I don't know if there is a definitive explanation of "working class values" but I don't think teaching all your kids to shoot is at the top of the list unless of course you are addressing a caricature rather than the real thing.

He has a military heritage which, while hardly being a bad thing, is not the same as a working class heritage. The warrior is not the same icon as the hard working stiff, although the latter may be inclined to admire the former. It's hard, though, to fathom why working class supporters of Hillary Clinton would necessarily fall into line behind Webb because he's a warrior.

Personally, I kind of like the guy and would rather see him as president than Obama, but I still don't think there is a chance Obama will pick him no matter how much Kuvy and Katrina vanden Heuvel love him. Some of the reasons being those highlighted in the WSJ piece that you seem to believe is in sharp contrast to my own views on the man:

Sen. Webb, a politician for less than two years, could be a risky combatant for the Democratic party.

He contends that "poor whites" are an oppressed class, and defends Confederate soldiers for fighting for state sovereignty.

In what he calls a rite of passage like a "Southern bar mitzvah," he says that, except for his toddler, "I've taught all my children how to shoot."

Its odd that such a stalwart voice for The Left would not readily understand how Webb's persona might disturb the sensibilities of many of it's most influential members.

If you are so in favor of him being on the ticket, then you are better served defending his liberal rather than working class bonafides.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2008 11:14 pm
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
kuvasz wrote:

Your own remarks about Webb ought to be held in relief against the following remarks made in that bastion of liberal-Marxist thought, The Wall Street Journal.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121400455088993487.html?mod=special_page_campaign2008_topbox

Quote:
Sen. Webb, a politician for less than two years, could be a risky combatant for the Democratic party. The 62-year-old lawmaker and novelist has a zeal that sometimes defies political niceties: He didn't shake President Bush's hand when the president asked about his son's deployment to Iraq. Some of his views aren't politically correct. He contends that "poor whites" are an oppressed class, and defends Confederate soldiers for fighting for state sovereignty.

Quote:
Descended from Scottish-Irish settlers who became pioneers in the Virginia mountains, Sen. Webb was born in Missouri into a military family that moved some 20 times during his childhood. He graduated from the Naval Academy in 1968 and went into the Marine Corps, where he served as a rifle platoon and company commander in Vietnam. He earned several medals for valor including the Navy Cross, one of the military's highest honors, in part for using his own body to shield a fellow soldier from an exploding grenade.

As to your remarks about webb's disaffiliations of working class credentials,

Quote:
Some of his views aren't politically correct. He contends that "poor whites" are an oppressed class, and defends Confederate soldiers for fighting for state sovereignty.

Noted as well, that like the working class his military experience is analogous, viz., he too carried the heavy load while Mccain was a member of the military elite as a pilot who did not get his hands dirty until being shot down.

Quote:
During Senate debate recently over the legislation( new GI Bill), an interesting dynamic emerged between Sens. Webb, McCain and Hagel -- all three Vietnam vets who had differing experiences of the war. Sens. Webb and Hagel were combat soldiers, whereas Sen. McCain (who originally opposed the bill) was a naval pilot and longtime prisoner of war. The three got to know one another only after returning to the U.S. in the 1970s.

"Not to denigrate John's five-and-a-half years in prison, but Jim and I have the perspective of being on the ground, doing the dirty work and seeing terrible and bloody suffering," Sen. Hagel says. "Jim and I have always been focused on the bottom ranks who are carrying the load."

As well, promoting his liberal, elite tendencies that cut against the grain of working class males;

Quote:
Until his run for the Senate in 2006, Sen. Webb says he never officially affiliated with a political party. Married three times, he has five children ranging in age from 1 to 38. In what he calls a rite of passage like a "Southern bar mitzvah," he says that, except for his toddler, "I've taught all my children how to shoot."

So you got a Marine who won a Navy Cross for valor and an Emmy Award for journalism, who thinks poor white people are getting the shaft, and who walks around with a pistol and teaches his own kids to shoot guns, yet consider him a dilettante who is just affecting working class values?

nhuh huh, friend. Webb is the guy who ought to be sitting in the Oval Office, but I'll settle for VP at the moment.

If one is looking for a 21st century avatar and amalgum of JFK and RFK, James Webb suits the bill.

You've leapt to a false conclusion.

I don't think him a member of the liberal elite (quite to the contrary), nor do I consider him a dilettante who is affecting working class values.

I don't know if there is a definitive explanation of "working class values" but I don't think teaching all your kids to shoot is at the top of the list unless of course you are addressing a caricature rather than the real thing.

He has a military heritage which, while hardly being a bad thing, is not the same as a working class heritage. The warrior is not the same icon as the hard working stiff, although the latter may be inclined to admire the former. It's hard, though, to fathom why working class supporters of Hillary Clinton would necessarily fall into line behind Webb because he's a warrior.

Personally, I kind of like the guy and would rather see him as president than Obama, but I still don't think there is a chance Obama will pick him no matter how much Kuvy and Katrina vanden Heuvel love him. Some of the reasons being those highlighted in the WSJ piece that you seem to believe is in sharp contrast to my own views on the man:

Sen. Webb, a politician for less than two years, could be a risky combatant for the Democratic party.

He contends that "poor whites" are an oppressed class, and defends Confederate soldiers for fighting for state sovereignty.

In what he calls a rite of passage like a "Southern bar mitzvah," he says that, except for his toddler, "I've taught all my children how to shoot."

Its odd that such a stalwart voice for The Left would not readily understand how Webb's persona might disturb the sensibilities of many of it's most influential members.

If you are so in favor of him being on the ticket, then you are better served defending his liberal rather than working class bonafides.
[/b]

That is simple to explain; first, Webb wants GIs to get college educations, and parents to have paid maternity leave, and those are majority held beliefs, so you don't speak with objective authority on calling his positions "liberal," second, when you say that I do not readily understand how Webb's persona disturbs liberal sensibilities, you have to show proof for that misunderstanding, and you haven't illustrated that in my writings. third, I am a liberal because of my class-conciousness, recognizing concomitant inequalities of economic class, and so too Webb recognizes and has commented on repeatedly about the same inequalities, while those which you refer to as being disturbed as liberalism's most influential members; they are not liberals simply because of class inequalities as Webb and I recognize, but via personal tastes and lifestyles.

I happen to side with George Bush's favorite philosopher; a true revolutionary in his own day.

Quote:
34Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world.

35For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in,

36I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.'

37"Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink?

38When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you?

39When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?'

40"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.
'
-Matt. 25:34-40

Frankly, I am liberal because I believe in the truth of the words of Jesus spoken above and am driven to political positions to help those who cannot help themselves.

My question is, why you aren't?
0 Replies

TilleyWink

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2008 01:35 am
One positive aspect of a Webb as O'Bama's VP is he could very well sercure the endorsement of John Warner. He, Warner is no Bush fan and he campaigned against Olly North. Many times in the past, before Reagan. Dems and GOP served together in each others administration.

It is only since the politics of mean began had there been such divisions between the parties. I think Newt had a lot to do with the crippling division we are experiencing today.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2008 10:30 pm
kuvasz wrote:

That is simple to explain; first, Webb wants GIs to get college educations, and parents to have paid maternity leave, and those are majority held beliefs, so you don't speak with objective authority on calling his positions "liberal," second, when you say that I do not readily understand how Webb's persona disturbs liberal sensibilities, you have to show proof for that misunderstanding, and you haven't illustrated that in my writings. third, I am a liberal because of my class-conciousness, recognizing concomitant inequalities of economic class, and so too Webb recognizes and has commented on repeatedly about the same inequalities, while those which you refer to as being disturbed as liberalism's most influential members; they are not liberals simply because of class inequalities as Webb and I recognize, but via personal tastes and lifestyles.

I happen to side with George Bush's favorite philosopher; a true revolutionary in his own day.

Quote:
34Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world.

35For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in,

36I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.'

37"Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink?

38When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you?

39When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?'

40"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.
'
-Matt. 25:34-40

Frankly, I am liberal because I believe in the truth of the words of Jesus spoken above and am driven to political positions to help those who cannot help themselves.

My question is, why you aren't?

You only need to peruse the Liberal journals to understand that a fair share of leftist intellectuals don't share your fondness for Sen. Webb.

If you don't agree with them, so be it, but try and deny there is a left wing movement to stop a Webb VP selections.

Far be it for me to challenge Webb's liberal bonafides. I'm more than happy to designate him as a Liberal. It seems, however, that persons far left of me question his credentials: He is violent, he supports southern crackers, etc etc etc.

The answer to your final question: "Why you aren't [believing in the truth of the words of Jesus] ?

First of all, we can argue whether or not Jesus was a liberal, but let's put aside such arguments.

I'm afraid, despite your assumption, I don't consider the teachings of Jesus to be "Gospel."

The teachings of Jesus are certainly worth my consideration, but no more or less than the teachings of Lao Tzu, Mohammed, Buddha, Zoroaster, or Mary Baker Eddy.

I am not bound by any of these sages' teachings any more than they were bound by the sages that came before them.

I don't profess to being a sage, but neither do I limit my opinions to those of sages who pre-date me.

If you predicate your beliefs upon the teachings of Jesus, good for you! I might suggest that you spend some time actually correlating your beliefs with his, but that is up to you my Christian Warrior.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2008 09:18 pm
Looks like it will be anyone but Webb.

Too bad for the warriors residing below a thin skin of liberal sensibilities and guilt.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2008 03:31 pm
Some people are talking up Sen. Jack Reed as a runningmate. He is a superb guy with a great record who would be better than Webb as a runningmate.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2008 04:29 pm
Advocate wrote:
Some people are talking up Sen. Jack Reed as a runningmate. He is a superb guy with a great record who would be better than Webb as a runningmate.

I kind of like Reed too, but he is far more the polished politician than Webb --- and so a better choice for VP candidate
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2008 04:55 pm
Webb is married for the third time. Could this be used against him?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2008 05:00 pm
Advocate wrote:
Webb is married for the third time. Could this be used against him?

Doesn't matter --- he's not in the running
0 Replies

okie

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2008 10:56 pm
Whats left now? Edwards with National Enquirer stardom? Chris Dodd of Countrywide sweetheart deals notoriety? Oh no, is it back to Hillary?
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2008 10:28 am
okie wrote:
Whats left now? Edwards with National Enquirer stardom? Chris Dodd of Countrywide sweetheart deals notoriety? Oh no, is it back to Hillary?

That is absolutely nothing compared to McCain's leadership of the Keating Five.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2008 12:03 am
From what I have read, McCain has been vindicated. Just how does a sweeheart loan become vindicated, Advocate, for Dodd? Seems pretty clear it was wrong, like a possible bribe or kickback, doesn't it, for his work in Congress?
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2008 07:54 am
okie wrote:
From what I have read, McCain has been vindicated. Just how does a sweeheart loan become vindicated, Advocate, for Dodd? Seems pretty clear it was wrong, like a possible bribe or kickback, doesn't it, for his work in Congress?

A Rep-controlled senate ethics committee let McCain off with a slap on the wrist. It is shocking to me that so many Reps consider that vindication. BTW, this is not something that can be forgiven and forgotten. This affair, which involved McCain being given trips and other gifts by Keating, cost the taxpayers half a trillion dollars.

Regarding Dodd, I hope there is a thorough investigation, and that he is severely punished if there was wrongdoing on his part.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2008 11:10 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
I was very happy when he beat out the Macaca guy (who otherwise was on track to be the Republican nominee).

He is considerably to the right on several issues for my taste. Besides that Webb is doing a pretty good job opposing the war (with some weight) in the Senate.

I think Obama can do better.

If Obama chooses to go the route of military leadership... Wes Clark would make me much happier.

Going with a military man would be a tacit admission that he's not up to speed on the military, and therefore a dangerous choice for Commander in Chief.

We don't need a CIC who needs someone to hold his hand.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 03:48 am
Yeah - we should follow the example of Bush, who chose...

oh - nevermind.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 07:45 am
I would not be surprised to see Obama follow Bush's example and choose the recruiter he hired to screen the VP candidates.

Caroline Kennedy would have an electrifying effect on the ticket as VP, don't you think?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 11:03 am
real life wrote:
I would not be surprised to see Obama follow Bush's example and choose the recruiter he hired to screen the VP candidates.

Caroline Kennedy would have an electrifying effect on the ticket as VP, don't you think?

What I think about that is that Caroline is a very private person who hesitated to come out for Obama, but did so because she felt moved to for very personal reasons, and that she has no interest in serving as an elected anything, and would not run for such an office if asked.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 11:36 am
Never say never. Cool
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 05:02 pm
Advocate wrote:
okie wrote:

That is absolutely nothing compared to McCain's leadership of the Keating Five.

You and JTT keep beating this Keating Five drum, and it is clear that you haven't spent a minute looking into the facts. Describing McCain as the "leader" of the Keating Five is simply absurd.

You exaggerate the impact of the Keating scandal, and you exaggerate the involvement of McCain in the scandal.

You ignore the way McCain's (lesser) participation in the scandal affected his political goals --- kicking him the ass towards reform.

Dodd wants us to believe that everyone had available to him the lower interests rates he benefited from. Do you believe that?

Do you believe that a Dem controlled congress will investigate him?

It's all well and good to clamour for investigations when you know they won't happen.
0 Replies