How much water can I drink?

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 06:49 am
I have to do a urine-based drugs test in a few weeks. I have been advised (see "Can you beat a drugs test?" topic) to flush my system (of pot) until then with lots of water.

My question here is: How much can I drink without causing my kidneys to explode? I am 27, male, average build & of average general fitness. I thought about 5 litres would not be excessive, but would happily drink more if it was safe to do so.

Many thanks in advance to those in A2K (like myself) who seem to hover around the border between what's good & what's legal...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,608 • Replies: 15
No top replies

Sugar

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 07:27 am
Actually, THC is stored in fat cells. The body doesn't get rid of THC by flushing it out like a radiator. It is released over time by the fat cells and, if you have a high fat percentage, it can take up to 90 days for THC to leave your system, even if you are a once and a while recreational user.

Instead of drinking 5 litres of water, my advice would be to step of your exercise a bit and get those fat cells to dispel the THC more quickly. The water you drink during and after will be more effective in getting it out of your system.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 07:32 am
Completely off the topic...

Dunno if Grand Duke = Graham, but I do miss the football discussion on A2K with him - now that Premiership is upon us....
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 09:19 am
Sugar speaks sooth. In addition to the excersise remember that flushing on the day of the test will be, in itself, a red flag.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 10:08 am
Perhaps the water flushing is not to actually remove the THC from the body, but to reduce it's concentration in the urine, making it harder to detect? I'll definately try the exercise route. Also cranberry concentrate has come up a few times from different sources.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 10:15 am
You got it, the flushing only helps against a urine test and even then only against a shoddy one.

A good one will catch 90+ days under optimal conditions. Downside is that it also catches second hand smoke.
0 Replies

Sugar

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 12:06 pm
Cranberry concentrate is great for urinary tract infections, but it's not going to mask THC.

The only way for a pot smoker to get a clean drug screen is:

1. Stop smoking pot immediately - and don't bother with the 'one hit' - it will show up.

2. Start hitting the gym. You'll want cardio aerobic exercise, not weight lifting exercise. Run, ride a bike, etc.

3. Plenty of fluids to clean away toxins, but not more than you would normally after a good workout.

4. Cross your fingers and pee in a cup at the same time - and pray that it is a urine test, and not a hair test. Because if it's a hair test, you're screwed.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 12:10 pm
If you have the option, I *believe* a blood test has the shortest window.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 07:18 am
I have no option- it will be a urine test. I can probably stall it until 8-9 weeks after I stopped as I have holidays to take.

It's not even for a saftey-critical role. It's for assistant project planner with a railway engineering company (office-based entirely). I might have to throw myself on the mercy of my potential new boss (who I get on with okay and is a man of the world) and ask if it could be 'forgotten about' for an extra month. I had intended on quitting anyway, but thought I was being made redundant and so smoking wouldn't matter. Then they came and said 'we've probably found you a new job'...

I've already started swimming & cycling (I don't believe in public gyms) and lost about 6 lbs in a week, which is a bonus!
0 Replies

Sugar

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 08:57 am
Lots of companies have random drug screens for non-safety positions. My company can screen me anytime they want with no notice, but they never have. Just take it - trying to worm out of it for another month is going to raise an alarm. You're lucky they gave you so much notice.

If you are of normal weight and height, I think 45 days should be plenty - as long as you haven't had ANY within that time frame. And think of it this way - even if you lost your job, you could find another one that has mandatory screening as part of the hiring process, so you should quit anyway. It's not worth your paychecks.

I'd also kill the exercise a couple of days before.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 09:06 am
The guy is question has been known to be sympathetic to this situation before, but the people in Personel are not so easy-going.

If I take it when I start the new job, I would fail and lose the post (and my redundancy pay as well, as it's gross-misconduct).

If I have a quiet word, the worst that'll happen is I won't get the job, but can still keep the redundancy pay. The best that can happen is he 'forgets' to order one for a month, I pass & get the job.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 09:48 am
Just as an oddity, in the US, employers are much more restricted on when and for what reasons they may test Commercial Drivers. Random really means random selection of employees. The selection is normally done by an outside testing company so there is no issue of discrimination. "For Cause" is a whole different deal, and the standards are such that few companies attempt it.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 02:15 am
I have certain feelings that random & pre-employment testing for non-safety-critical roles is a violation of human rights. I know that every monkey who feels hard done to by the system says this, but as long as I'm not sparking-up at my desk, what's the problem?

I could go on holiday to Amsterdam, smoke legally, then come back and still fail a test 2 months later. The irony that if I was a major coke-head I'd be clean in mere days is not lost on me either.

I'm going to see my potential new boss today. If I don't come back it's because I've been sacked!
0 Replies

kyandin

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 05:57 pm
Just a few words on urine test...Did you know eating anything with Poppy Seeds can cause what is called a "False-Negative" test.
0 Replies

kyandin

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 06:00 pm
Sorry, Poppy Seeds, "False-Positive" test results.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2003 02:17 am
Someone mentioned it in another topic, is it the trace of opium in the seeds?
0 Replies