FCE test

dameger

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2008 12:04 pm
After three days I am going to a FCE test.Have you got any recommendations for me ?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,985 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Wy

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2008 05:38 pm
What is an FCE test?

You should put spaces after your punctuation, not before it. A native English speaker might have written: "In three days I will take an FCE test. Have you got any recommendations for me?"
0 Replies

dameger

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2008 06:54 am
I am not a native English speaker so I don't say that. And FCE is first certificate in English.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2008 07:47 am
dameger wrote:
I am not a native English speaker so I don't say that. And FCE is first certificate in English.

Whether or not you are a native English speaker, if you wish to be certified as competent in the English language, you will abandon the attitude that you do or don't say this or that. Wy did not post out of an idle desire to argue with you, she posted so as to correct your English usage, which was a courtesy.

There is no such thing in the United States as the FCE to which you refer. I suspect that it exists wherever it is that you are studying and failing to learn proper English usage. In the United States, for academic purposes, you would have to pass the TOEFL, the Test of English as a Foreign Language. Wherever you are, and whatever test you take, i suggest to you that you pay attention to native speakers of English who have the courtesy to offer you constructive criticism which is intended to improve your use of the English language.
0 Replies

dameger

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2008 06:21 am
FCE is a Cambridge certificate, and it is very popullar in Europe. And I also sorry about the last post Embarrassed
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2008 06:39 pm
Setanta wrote:
dameger wrote:

Whether or not you are a native English speaker, if you wish to be certified as competent in the English language, you will abandon the attitude that you do or don't say this or that. Wy did not post out of an idle desire to argue with you, she posted so as to correct your English usage, which was a courtesy.

... .

Setanta,

You've outdone yourself. What a ridiculously snarky posting. You should be thoroughly ashamed of yourself. Wy offered but an alternative.

You made a huge leap deeming that Dameger's response was intended to be impolite. Did you stop to consider for a moment that "I don't say that" might have been seen as a neutral way of expressing this.

You can sure be a jackass sometimes. It's not too late to make amends.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2008 09:48 pm
dameger wrote:

Hello Dameger.

Using the present simple, "I don't say that" made your response sound too strident, too forward, impolite. I'm not saying that's what you intended, but that's what it sounded like.

Alternatives:

I am not a native English speaker so I haven't learned that yet.

I am not a native English speaker so that isn't part of my language yet.

Forget the tongue lashing from Setanta. He often gives decent advice on how to choose one collocation over another. This comes because he's pretty damn good with language.

Dameger wrote:
[After] In three days I am going to an FCE test. Have you got any recommendations for me?

There's not much you can change in the next three days. Just try to relax before the exam and do something that will help you be relaxed when you get into the exam room.

Is this your first crack (first try) at the FCE? Let us know how you think you did. Good luck!!
0 Replies

dameger

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2008 07:55 am
I think I passed the test. It wasn't so difficult but anyway I am not sure if my writing part is good!
0 Replies