girlfriend and college 2

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 07:19 pm
i've made a decision. i want to go to the same college as my girlfriend. i love her, and have been with her for a year and four months. but i need advice on how to ask her because i dont want to put her on the spot on how i ask her. so i need advice on how to ask her if she wants to go to the same college. do you even think its a good idea to continue our relationship throughout college? please give me pros and cons of continue with our relationship and ending our relationship.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 791 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Eva

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 07:59 pm
Why not just simply ask her: "Do you think it would be a good idea for us to go to the same college or not?"

In my opinion, college decisions should be made on the basis of your educational goals, not social ones. Pick the college that has the best curriculum in the subject you want to major in. You are both at the age where your educational goals have to come first.

Regardless of where the two of you go to college, the relationship will last if it is strong and you are both committed to each other. If your relationship is not strong, it will not matter whether you are together every day or not...the relationship will not last.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 08:18 pm
My college relationship didn't last. People change. Especially between the ages of 18 and 21.
I wanted to go the same college as my boyfriend but my father told me to forget about it. Thank Goodness.
If you and your girlfriend are on the same page academically, where you will get as much from this school as she will and vice versa then that's one thing but if you are turning your world upside down and trashing your plans and dreams just to be with her, please, think about it some more. That's rarely if ever the right thing to do. You'll regret it and wind up trying to blame her for it.
Good luck to you.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 08:18 pm
You and your girlfriend have been dating for 16 months and the question of college has never come up? You wonder how to bring up the subject?

Are the two of you Sophomores? Juniors? Seniors? Academic types or going to college for "the experience"?

My personal opinion is that in this day and age both you and your girlfriend would benefit from time apart, growing as complete individuals before you try to form a lifetime coupling.

I've seen a number of high school romances that end in divorce when the Prom Couples are in their mid-to-late twenties. Each partner in the marriage begins to feel, "I have never experienced L-I-F-E. I was tied down too young."

By all means talk to your girlfriend about college plans--and whatever other plans you have for the rest of your life and whatever plans she has for the rest of her life.

To my mind, plighting your eternal troth right now would be as idiotic as the now-discredited Chinese custom of foot-binding.

Good luck.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 10:14 pm
I'm with the others who say "just go ahead and talk to her about it".

Happy trails.
0 Replies