Hillary's Concession Speech

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2008 09:19 am
wapo:

After a tumultuous 17-month journey, Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton (N.Y.) will formally withdraw as a presidential candidate today, publicly declaring her support for Sen. Barack Obama (Ill.) for the first time since he secured the Democratic nomination.

Clinton drew the wrath of many Democrats when she did not acknowledge Obama's victory in her speech on Tuesday night. Her farewell address to supporters, scheduled for noon today at the National Building Museum at Fourth and F streets NW, is intended to repair any lingering damage from the Tuesday speech and will close the door on an epic primary campaign that, after dividing Democrats, produced the first African American presumptive nominee of any major party in history.

The former rivals made progress in their search for common ground during a clandestine hour-long meeting at the home of Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.) on Thursday night. Details of the sit-down, held in Feinstein's living room, began to emerge as Clinton aides turned in their cellphones, packed up their offices and put the finishing touches on her much-anticipated speech.

"Hillary will be holding an event tomorrow in Washington D.C. to thank all of her supporters, to express her support for Senator Obama, and to talk about the issues that have been at the core of her public service, the issues she will continue fighting for," campaign manager Maggie Williams wrote in a letter yesterday inviting supporters to attend the gathering. The e-mail doubled as a fundraising solicitation -- a reminder of the nearly $30 million in debt that Clinton will seek to retire.

Clinton welcomed campaign staffers to her Northwest home yesterday for a final, personal thank-you before today's event.

Obama, who is taking the weekend off, made a surprise appearance yesterday at a rally in Chicago for the city's bid to win the 2016 Olympics. Noting that he lives just two blocks from the proposed event site, Obama said: "So I'm just going to be able to walk over there. I might have to rent out my house. I don't know how much it's going to be worth."
ad_icon

He added: "And, also, in the interests of full disclosure, I have to let you know that in 2016, I'll be wrapping up my second term as president."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,413 • Replies: 48
No top replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2008 09:46 am
Noon ET start time delayed.

Is she having second thoughts?
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2008 10:28 am
some women are known to turn to food at times of crisis

are you sure she's not making a concession stand speech

"i'll take a a dozen pogo dogs, a bucket of candy floss, 10 bags of kettle corn ......"
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2008 10:55 am
She finally said it!
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2008 10:56 am
She's doing a good job so far.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2008 11:10 am
I'm upgrading my estimation of the speech to 'great.' One of the best I've ever seen her give.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2008 11:20 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
I'm upgrading my estimation of the speech to 'great.' One of the best I've ever seen her give.

Cycloptichorn

Ditto
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2008 11:34 am
Just a quick galnce at the liberal blogospheres and it appears it is all kudos.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2008 11:40 am
She did great! She did a lot of good for herself with that speech. I think it will soothe all the ruffled feathers and egos that were scratched by her June 3rd speech.

Hopefully more of her supporters will follow her lead now.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2008 11:59 am
Better late than never.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2008 12:05 pm
BBB
Hillary Clinton is a heroic woman I'm very proud of.

BBB
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2008 12:07 pm
I'm trying to find a transcript of it but am having no luck. Does anyone have a site I can go to to read it?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2008 12:14 pm
Here ya go, Mame.

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/2008/06/07/Clinton_suspends_campaign_supports_Obama/UPI-34241212861028/

(I've commented on the "Hillary for president 2008" thread btw...)
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2008 12:33 pm
It was a great speech - at times I thought it could have been written by Obama. She was gracious and has talked about her support to Obama
more than once (which I was surprised of).

Her dream came to an end, so the disappointment, her melancholic state
of mind, actually made her more likable than when she was on the
campaign trail.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2008 01:01 pm
yesterday she was ****... and now because she's done something you like she's okay. I'm glad I don't have any friends like you people.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2008 01:10 pm
If it matters, bear, I still have the same opinion of her I've always had.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2008 01:12 pm
JPB wrote:
If it matters, bear, I still have the same opinion of her I've always had.

well that indicates to me that you are neither a fair weather friend or enemy... and that shows character. Congratulations.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2008 01:15 pm
Thank you, Soz.

The first and last parts made me gag and I wonder how much of the rest of it she really believes and feels.

It was a totally political speech, IMO.

I didn't get a sense of genuineness at all. Maybe I have to see it live.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2008 01:21 pm
What do you want her to do, Mame? Jump and shout for joy and sing the praises of Obama?

Jesus! The woman has put her heart and soul into this, it has been her life's passion to become president, and to get this close and realize it is not going to happen, well, that has to completely drain a person.

Give her time to lick her wounds.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2008 01:22 pm
I'm sorry I yelled at you, Mame.

Hug?
0 Replies