my punctuation is true or not?

aicha84

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2008 07:10 am
am I correct in the punctuation?
1-Emily formerly,Mrs.Goyette caught Mr.Andless' sleeve.Where no on could see and managed;it briefly but urgently.
2-Joseph,who is Gordon's brother,is a guard on the second string.
3-Dearest,his voice broke;he could say no more.
4-Louis and then,she has it still something near to genius for making importable persons,places,and situations sound attractive.
5-Some of my courses for example:French ,and Biology demand a great deal of work outside the classroom.
6-I know-I said ,but that is not the real bed what happened to it.
7-his second novel published last year;was a great success.
8-outside;the car park was soon full.
9-D.R. Laurence man and myth.
10-John suddenly shouted look out;he was got a gun.
11-they want some time to chill out,after their exams.
12-The London Birmingham Train.
13-if the manger is attending,will she please notify the office?
14-this has caused the great deal of pain,both mental and physical.
15-the company has never in deed;never be profitable.
16-she may have seemed a good prime minister;nevertheless she failed to face the facts.
17-the following items were missing:a credit card,a driving licence and a watch.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 644 • Replies: 3
No top replies

TTH

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2008 08:56 am
This might help you: http://englishplus.com/grammar/
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2008 09:03 am
Re: my punctuation is true or not?
1-Emily formerly,Mrs.Goyette caught Mr.Andless' sleeve.Where no on could see and managed;it briefly but urgently.

This is an hilariously incomprehensible sentence, but i'll try to give you serious answer.

Emily,[/size] formerly Mrs. Goyette,[/size] caught Mr. Andless' sleeve where no one could see and managed it briefly but urgently.

Now what the Hell is "managed it briefly but urgently" supposed to mean? I'll tell you this, it is completely nonsensical in English, and don't try to tell me any native-speaker of English wrote that tripe. How, pray tell, does one "manage" a sleeve, urgently or otherwise?

(Goyette--Oy, stop, yer killin' me ! ! !)

2-Joseph, who is Gordon's brother, is a guard on the second string.

This is OK, but put spaces after the commas. This is contemporary English, not ancient Greek.

3-"Dearest," his voice broke,[/size] he could say no more.

Oh God . . . the drama is almost too much for me. A semi-colon is used to seperate distinct but related clauses.

4-Louis and then,she has it still something near to genius for making importable persons,places,and situations sound attractive.

This sentence is completely meaningless, no matter how you place the punctuation. Write it out on a piece of paper, take the paper outside and burn it, while praying to the goddess of grammar that she will not severely punish you.

5-Some of my courses--[/size]for example,[/size] French and Biology--[/size] demand a great deal of work outside the classroom.

6-"I know,[/size] I said,[/size] but that is not the real bed. What happened to it?[/size]"

This stuff is all pretty hilarious--who wrote this drivel? I rather suspect that you are not at a level to understand the punctuation rules regarding quotations of speech, and i may be following a different rule than that of other English speakers. However, you've gone from a statement ("but that is not the real bed.") to a question ("what happened to it"), and therefore you ought to make it into two sentences, for clarity's sake. All questions should end with a question mark.

7- His second novel,[/size] published last year,[/size] was a great success.

I advise you not ever to use a semi-colon until you are all grown up.

8- Outside,[/size] the car park was soon full.

Stop with the semi-colons--you're going to hurt someone.

9- D.R. Laurence man and myth.

This is not a sentence--it doesn't even make a sentence fragment. It apparently is not on speaking terms with any verbs. It would be pointless to punctuate it at all, but if one did, one might put a comma after the name. Is this supposed to refer to the writer D. H. Lawrence?

10-John suddenly shouted: "Look out,[/size] he's[/size] got a gun!"

John shows a commendable sang froid in the face of an armed threat, but i think it would be appropriate to put an exlamation point at the end of that remark. "He was got a gun?"--that's not English, and once again, i doubt if a native-speaker of English wrote these sentences for you.

11- They want some time to chill out after their exams.

No punctuation needed. Capitalize any word which begins a sentence.

12- The London-[/size]Birmingham Train.

You might also write: "The London to Birmingham train." That would, though, technically refer only to the train which goes from London to Birmingham, and not the return.

Why don't you just drive up there, and save the confusion?

13- If the manger is attending, will she please notify the office?

This is fine--but remember to capitalize the first word of a sentence, and to put a space after all punctuation marks. This is modern English, not ancient Greek.

14- This has caused a great deal of pain, both mental and physical.

This is fine--see my remarks in response to that last sentence.

15- The company has never in deed;never be profitable.

This sentence is nonsense. Let's try that again: "The company has never, indeed, been profitable."

16- She may have seemed a good prime minister; nevertheless,[/size] she failed to face the facts.

Well, i'll be damned. You actually used a semi-colon correctly. I'm betting it was just dumb luck, though.

17- The following items were missing: a credit card, a driving licence and a watch.

Not much wrong here, but once again, capitalize the first word of a sentence, and leave a space after all punctuation marks.
0 Replies

aicha84

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2008 03:28 pm
Re: my punctuation is true or not?
thank you so much.
Setanta wrote:

This is an hilariously incomprehensible sentence, but i'll try to give you serious answer.

Emily,[/size] formerly Mrs. Goyette,[/size] caught Mr. Andless' sleeve where no one could see and managed it briefly but urgently.

Now what the Hell is "managed it briefly but urgently" supposed to mean? I'll tell you this, it is completely nonsensical in English, and don't try to tell me any native-speaker of English wrote that tripe. How, pray tell, does one "manage" a sleeve, urgently or otherwise?

(Goyette--Oy, stop, yer killin' me ! ! !)

2-Joseph, who is Gordon's brother, is a guard on the second string.

This is OK, but put spaces after the commas. This is contemporary English, not ancient Greek.

3-"Dearest," his voice broke,[/size] he could say no more.

Oh God . . . the drama is almost too much for me. A semi-colon is used to seperate distinct but related clauses.

This sentence is completely meaningless, no matter how you place the punctuation. Write it out on a piece of paper, take the paper outside and burn it, while praying to the goddess of grammar that she will not severely punish you.

5-Some of my courses--[/size]for example,[/size] French and Biology--[/size] demand a great deal of work outside the classroom.

6-"I know,[/size] I said,[/size] but that is not the real bed. What happened to it?[/size]"

This stuff is all pretty hilarious--who wrote this drivel? I rather suspect that you are not at a level to understand the punctuation rules regarding quotations of speech, and i may be following a different rule than that of other English speakers. However, you've gone from a statement ("but that is not the real bed.") to a question ("what happened to it"), and therefore you ought to make it into two sentences, for clarity's sake. All questions should end with a question mark.

7- His second novel,[/size] published last year,[/size] was a great success.

I advise you not ever to use a semi-colon until you are all grown up.

8- Outside,[/size] the car park was soon full.

Stop with the semi-colons--you're going to hurt someone.

9- D.R. Laurence man and myth.

This is not a sentence--it doesn't even make a sentence fragment. It apparently is not on speaking terms with any verbs. It would be pointless to punctuate it at all, but if one did, one might put a comma after the name. Is this supposed to refer to the writer D. H. Lawrence?

10-John suddenly shouted: "Look out,[/size] he's[/size] got a gun!"

John shows a commendable sang froid in the face of an armed threat, but i think it would be appropriate to put an exlamation point at the end of that remark. "He was got a gun?"--that's not English, and once again, i doubt if a native-speaker of English wrote these sentences for you.

11- They want some time to chill out after their exams.

No punctuation needed. Capitalize any word which begins a sentence.

12- The London-[/size]Birmingham Train.

You might also write: "The London to Birmingham train." That would, though, technically refer only to the train which goes from London to Birmingham, and not the return.

Why don't you just drive up there, and save the confusion?

13- If the manger is attending, will she please notify the office?

This is fine--but remember to capitalize the first word of a sentence, and to put a space after all punctuation marks. This is modern English, not ancient Greek.

14- This has caused a great deal of pain, both mental and physical.

This is fine--see my remarks in response to that last sentence.

15- The company has never in deed;never be profitable.

This sentence is nonsense. Let's try that again: "The company has never, indeed, been profitable."

16- She may have seemed a good prime minister; nevertheless,[/size] she failed to face the facts.

Well, i'll be damned. You actually used a semi-colon correctly. I'm betting it was just dumb luck, though.

17- The following items were missing: a credit card, a driving licence and a watch.

Not much wrong here, but once again, capitalize the first word of a sentence, and leave a space after all punctuation marks.
Very Happy
0 Replies