Do my feet look fat in this?

mushypancakes

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2008 11:28 pm
I'm 5'2 and wear a size 8 or sometimes 8 and a half. However, that's a bit misleading as my larger toe makes up for a full extra shoe size.

The problem with having this size is that by the time a sale is on, or even I get to the store, the shoe is often out and sold in this super popular size.

Now, the women in my family above me all have tiny itsy feet. They wear children's shoes or specialty shoes. Size 6's and even size 5s. THAT's little!

And I do notice as you go down the family to the younger and younger girls, their feet get bigger!
By the time they were in junior high, none of them could wear any of our shoes.

Your feet aren't small, Boom, they are 'delicate'. Smile
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2008 12:33 am
I'm with the big-foot brigade!

I'm 172cm - that's 5"8" in the old money - and wear something between 9 and 11 - depending on make, etc.

A new Spanish (?) shoe shop has opened in a suburb near me. I parked right outside it when I was going to the shops this morning. As I looked in the window (well, that's compulsory!) the owner came out and started telling me about the 2O% off everything in the store. Now - I don't need shoes (what's that got to do with it?) - but there were some cute ones there, so I ambled in - wearing old boat shoes and thick socks. As soon as I got in and he asked my size, he started talking about how difficult it is to get shoes in my size (he's telling me Rolling Eyes ).

I tried on several pairs which were too small, and then he found this pair of Spanish orthopaedic shoes, black with a bronze top bit, and the softest glove-like leather, leather soles and lining, little heel, and little ties like gillie-ties. Quite sleek really - not heavy looking at all. Bloody cute - in fact I'm wearing them now - at home - with the thick Christmas socks (not quite so cute a look!). They're quite high cut, and will be great for winter and look good with pants.

After tellng me that everything was 20% off - I had to argue to get it off these. They were certainly not expensive for the quality of shoe, though.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2008 02:15 am
All I know is that after working as a shoe sales clerk for a few years, I learned that women are really funny about their shoe size. They always want a size or two smaller than they really ought to wear. Very Happy I was surprised to find that it's such a point of pride to have small feet!
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2008 02:17 am
Oh, and p.s., yes, men do pretend they need shoes a size or two larger than they really should wear. Laughing People are so odd!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2008 06:11 am
What about width?

I'm 5'2", shoe size 7-7 1/2--AAA to AAAAA when I can find them.

Of course, this was before the Family Curse Struck and I was doomed to practical shoes.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2008 07:07 am
Wow.

I never knew people cared about their shoe size before.

Really.. I had no idea.

Im 5'7 and I wear a size 8 1/2 , sometimes I can wear an 8 depending on the brand of the shoe.

i actually love my feet.

My toes are perfectly in line with the others. Nothing is over size or undersize about my feet. I dont have square toes, nor do I have short stubby ones..they are slender, in perfect proportion to the others and look good .

In fact, I think my feet are one of my favorite parts about me.

One weird thing.. I shed my toenails on my little toe once every 5 months or so.
The entire thing literally just falls off. Then grows back to a certain length, to just fall off again.

kooky..
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2008 07:37 am
cyphercat wrote:
All I know is that after working as a shoe sales clerk for a few years, I learned that women are really funny about their shoe size. They always want a size or two smaller than they really ought to wear. Very Happy I was surprised to find that it's such a point of pride to have small feet!

Small feet have been considered erotic throughout history. The Chinese made a fetish of it and for over 1,000 years women suffered for it.

My grandmother would never buy shoes over a size 6, she was probably closer to a 7 1/2. She always complained her feet hurt, but would never admit it was because her shoes were too tight. When she died we found shoes going back to the early 1920's in her attic - all of them a size 5 or 6. It was before the days of Ebay, so we donated a few to a local historical museum and the rest went to GoodWill.

A little trick I learned when I bought a pair of really good shoes that were on sale, but one size too small: You can stretch your real leather shoes up one size by putting a potato in the toe. The potato should stretch out the leather a little when you put it in. Leave it there for about a week
(I promise it will do not harm). The potato stretches the leather just by being a little larger, but also something about it being a potato softens the leather to make it more pliable. Doesn't work on those cheap "PayLess Brand" shoes or heavy work boots.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2008 07:51 am
it probably has to do with the water in the potato creating an ever so small amount of humidity that helps the leather stretch easier
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2008 09:39 am
boomerang wrote:
Do my feet look fat in this?

No, but it makes your ass look really big.

Quote:
Are my feet small?

Could this account for my clumsiness?

I worked briefly for a chain of shoe stores. Women chronically buy shoes that are too small--they are off by a half-size to a size and a half, cramming their feet into shoes that are too small--i guess because they think dainty feet are a feminine trait.

So no one here has any way of knowig if you are wearing the correct shoe size in the first place.

However, it might reassure you to know that there have been a great many people in history who had small feet and delicate hands, and it did not seem to hamper them--Frederick the Great and Robert Lee come to mind. Not only did Robert Lee have small feet, he was not the least bit ashamed of them, and he used to insist that his children would tickle his feet before he would tell them or read them stories.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2008 10:19 am
I was 5'7" (I've shrunk an inch so far because of back problems) and I wear a size 9. I used to think I had large feet, but shoe salesmen have convinced me I'm exactly average now.

Shoe stores typically buy 2-3x the number of shoes in the most popular sizes. They tell me that used to be 7-1/2 to 8-1/2 ten or fifteen years ago, but now it's 8-1/2 to 9-1/2.

So....if the average woman's shoe size is now 9, and the average woman's height is still 5'4-1/2", then yes, boomer...you have small feet. A little smaller than average for your age, I'd say, but overall...yes, small.

BTW, people are not just getting bigger in terms of height and feet. Talk to a jewelry salesmen. Hands are getting larger, too.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2008 10:21 am
Size 12 or 11, depending on style. And yes, when I gained serious weight I went up a size. I'm hoping to lose that size again once I've lost most of what I'm trying to lose, but I'm sure I'll never be lower than a 9 and probably no lower than a 10, which is about what I hit when I got to High School.

Weight does have something to do with it but not more than maybe 1 or 2 sizes.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2008 11:18 am
I assure you that my feet are not delicate or erotic, they are unlovely worker-bee feet, seriously not pretty. When I go to the shoe store and tell them size 7 they always bring out 7.5 and 8s. I assume they think I'm lying but they always end up seeing that I'm right.

I'm not proud of them or anything. I was just curious if they're small and didn't really have anything to compare them to except for Mo.

I've heard that each pregnancy increases foot size by a half size -- that's probably where the "barefoot and pregnant" line comes from, their shoes don't fit!
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2008 11:27 am
That's a new one to me, boomer. I've never heard that. My feet didn't change size after SonofEva was born.

Now I'm curious. Did this happen to anyone else here?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2008 11:34 am
Not me, nope.

I have the longer second toe, too (Pharaoh's something...? it has a name), and I wore size 8.5 for too long -- the longer (second) toe got all scrunched up, but my big toe was in the right place. Have been wearing 9's for maybe a dozen years? My second toe only completely straightened out a few years ago.

I'm really more like an 8.75, 9's are always a little big (but better than 8.5's). Some 8.5 sandals fit well.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2008 11:48 am
I have the longer second toe too, soz. Cool
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2008 12:01 pm
No, I've had 3 kids and my feet are still a 7. Never 6.5 or 7.5, always a 7. And triple A at the heel in heels, double A elsewhere. Didn't need a bigger size during the pregnancy either.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2008 12:41 pm
I notice everyone is ignoring my delicate size 6 footsies.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2008 12:45 pm
While we're on the subject, does this ass make my pants look big?
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2008 01:16 pm
Stray Cat wrote:
While we're on the subject, does this ass make my pants look big?

Yes.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2008 01:17 pm
Chai wrote:
I notice everyone is ignoring my delicate size 6 footsies.

[acknowledges Chai's dainty little feet] - happy? Very Happy

I worked with a woman who wore a size 4. Talk about petite!
0 Replies