Do my feet look fat in this?

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2008 06:20 pm
I have always suspected that my feet are small.

My tiny, dinky sister (she probably weighs about 95 pounds) wears a bigger shoe than me and the other day I went to buy Mo shoes and his feet are just a bit smaller than mine. (He wears a boys size 3, he is 4'2" tall; I wear a boys size 5, I am 5'7 inches tall. (Yes, I buy some of my shoes in the boy's department because they're a lot cheaper.))

A boy's size 5 equals a womans size 7.

So anyway, I'm just curious --

Are my feet small?

Could this account for my clumsiness?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 6,127 • Replies: 57
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2008 06:24 pm
Re: Do my feet look fat in this?
boomerang wrote:
I have always suspected that my feet are small.

My tiny, dinky sister (she probably weighs about 95 pounds) wears a bigger shoe than me and the other day I went to buy Mo shoes and his feet are just a bit smaller than mine. (He wears a boys size 3, he is 4'2" tall; I wear a boys size 5, I am 5'7 inches tall. (Yes, I buy some of my shoes in the boy's department because they're a lot cheaper.))

A boy's size 5 equals a womans size 7.

So anyway, I'm just curious --

Are my feet small?

Could this account for my clumsiness?

Hmmm...I don't think they're much smaller than mine.

I don't think I am clumsy.

What sort of clumsiness?

Do you fall off your feet a lot...kind of topple over because your centre of gravity gets beyond the arc of your feet? :wink:
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2008 06:29 pm
A women's size 7 shoe isn't small for women of our generation - but they're miniscule if you look at women 20 or 30 years younger - they all seem to have boats instead of shoes.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2008 06:29 pm
I think size 7 is average, I'm an 8, thus a 6 in boys. High end shoe stores always display shoes in a size 5 - now that's small.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2008 06:31 pm
Oh I know this is such a silly question but I really am kind of curious.

I don't topple often but I have toppled on occassion where drinking wasn't involved.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2008 06:32 pm
ehBeth wrote:
A women's size 7 shoe isn't small for women of our generation - but they're miniscule if you look at women 20 or 30 years younger - they all seem to have boats instead of shoes.

Gee, I know boobs are getting bigger, but I didn't think feet were going that way too.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2008 06:33 pm
Everyone topples once in a while.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2008 06:35 pm
littlek wrote:

So says the resident beer expert.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2008 06:36 pm
Green Witch wrote:
littlek wrote:

Oh geez! Is that what I am?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2008 06:36 pm
I'm amazed by the number of young women I work with who wear size 10, 11 or 12 shoes. I've also noticed that it's getting more difficult to find shoes under size 8 for women. I buy my dress lace-up shoes in the boys section at Rockport - 5.5 - can't find anything equivalent for women in my size (the two pairs under size 8 seem to be gone before I arrive in the stores).

If it weren't for Toronto's sizable Chinese community, I don't know where I'd look for shoes (their shoes seem to rarely go over 8.5).
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2008 06:38 pm
Ooops. A lot of you slipped in after dlowan.

Maybe my sister (she's 50) just has abnormally large feet and Mo is of the big - foot generation. Sis is maybe 5'1" tall. She's itty bitty with boat feet (don't tell her I said that, she nearly killed me for even suggesting such a thing).

That is interesting, eBeth -- why are feet getting bigger is it because people are getting taller?
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2008 06:42 pm
littlek wrote:
Green Witch wrote:
littlek wrote:

Oh geez! Is that what I am?

Among many other things. I don't consider it a negative.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2008 06:48 pm
GW - ok, then..... <grin>

I always thought the lack of size 7.5 was due to demand. I thought that they were scarce because there were so many of us out there with that size shoe.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2008 06:48 pm
I agree with ehBeth. For example, my sister is 5'8" and wears a size 8. My daughter is 5'3" and wears a 9.5. She couldn't wear my shoes after age 12 (thank God). Their feet ARE getting bigger. But I do think for 5'7", size 7 shoes might be on the small side. That's what I wear and I'm 5'2 and I think mine are small - well, they look that way in some shoes, anyway.

I think you should take to wearing big heavy steel-toed boots. You will never topple over in those, guaranteed. And I believe they go or don't go with every style these days.

And they wouldn't look small. Another guaranteed.

Problem solved.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2008 06:50 pm
My 8 year old niece wears a women's size 6.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2008 06:52 pm
oh wow...I wear a size 6.

when I was a teen/20's I was a 5 1/2

I don't topple often.
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2008 06:53 pm
My dearly departed best friend and roommate and I both wore the same size shoes. She was tall (5'10" which I'm told is tall for a woman of our generation) and I don't consider myself short (I give myself a half an inch to be six feet), but she came from a big family (her dad was the tallest fighter pilot in the US Navy--6'6"). But we both wore mens size 9s. It had advantages cause I could slip on her shoes for those late night calls of nature (mine or the kids),

She would complain sometimes because she said that her selection was limited--but it really didn't matter because being tall she usually wore flats.

Now the kids--they all had skis. Fortunately they were boys.

So all in all---I would consider your feet tiny.

Rap
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2008 06:53 pm
I don't tip over, but I had a fairly long run of tripping. Turned out my boots were too heavy. Looked great, but I wasn't working hard enough to lift my feet. Lighter shoes fixed that for me. No more old-skool sneaks for me, they weigh too much.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2008 07:04 pm
Mame wrote:
I agree with ehBeth. For example, my sister is 5'8" and wears a size 8. My daughter is 5'3" and wears a 9.5. She couldn't wear my shoes after age 12 (thank God). Their feet ARE getting bigger. But I do think for 5'7", size 7 shoes might be on the small side. That's what I wear and I'm 5'2 and I think mine are small - well, they look that way in some shoes, anyway.

I think you should take to wearing big heavy steel-toed boots. You will never topple over in those, guaranteed. And I believe they go or don't go with every style these days.

And they wouldn't look small. Another guaranteed.

Problem solved.

My walkers have soles MUCH bigger than the shoe bit......I don't topple in THEM.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2008 08:16 pm
I'm 5'9" and wear a shoe size 9 - 9.5 depending on style. I wish my
feet were smaller, as the selection for sizes 7 to 8 is usually so much
better.
0 Replies