Bush Critics Aid Terrorism

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 05:03 pm
You really have to have sympathy for the poor guy. All our criticism is hindering his ability to lie. Now I guess we'll be called unpatriotic for questioning governmental policies and actions.

For the complete story, read here. http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A42363-2003Sep8?language=printer

Rumsfeld: Criticism of Bush Strengthens U.S. Foes

Reuters
Monday, September 8, 2003; 11:16 AM

By Tabassum Zakaria

SHANNON, Ireland (Reuters) - Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld said on Monday opposition to the U.S. President was encouraging Washington's enemies and hindering his 'war against terrorism'.

Rumsfeld was speaking after a trip to Afghanistan and Iraq where he sought to highlight progress on reconstruction efforts and dampen criticism of the U.S. presence there and the almost daily casualties in a guerrilla campaign against occupation.

He said if Washington's enemies believed Bush might waver or his opponents prevail, that could increase support for their activities.

"They take heart in that and that leads to more money going into these activities or that leads to more recruits or that leads to more encouragement or that leads to more staying power," he told reporters traveling with him on his plane.

"Obviously that does make our task more difficult."

"Terrorists studied...instances when the United States was dealt a blow and tucked in, and persuaded themselves that they could in fact cause us to acquiesce in whatever it is they wanted to do," he said. "The United States is not going to do that, President (George W.) Bush is not going to do that."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,784 • Replies: 26
No top replies

hobitbob

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 05:13 pm
The Bushies have learned totalitarianism's lessons well. Sad
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 06:24 pm
And criticism against Rumsfeld encourages the Tele Tubbies?
0 Replies

perception

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 07:13 pm
Hobit wrote:

The Bushies have learned totalitarianism's lessons well.

You seem to be fixated on totalitarianism----were you as fixated about the Taliban or Saddam?
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 09:12 pm
Percy,
Did you take care of Refugees inside Iraq, only to have the US pull you and your unit out so that Hussein could slaughter them?
Have you been donating time and $ to RAWAfor the last five years?
I didn't think so. GO to bed, Percy. No one wishes to argue with you.
0 Replies

perception

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 09:58 pm
Hobit wrote:

Did you take care of Refugees inside Iraq, only to have the US pull you and your unit out so that Hussein could slaughter them?

Then you are familiar with a REAL Stalinist totalitarian dictatorship-----it seemed that you were a bit confused.

Nighty night

BTW----I doubt if you were there either----care to give us a unit number and a date?
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 10:05 pm
Percy, I'm not giving you any more info. As I mentioned before, I was on a forum where people tried to track down and injure others with whom they disagreed. Perhaps you would feel more comfortable there. It is the sort of place for people who wish to argue rather than discuss.
A percy kind'o'place
Nighty-poos!
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 11:06 pm
hobitbob wrote:
Have you been donating time and $ to RAWAfor the last five years?

That sounds very interesting, tho! You've been in Iraq? What's RAWA do?

I can look up the website of course, but if you've worked there - you must have so much to tell!

If you ever feel like telling some about your experiences, I'd be fascinated. Or is there already a thread?

Opinions are always cool, but personal experiences are so much better.
0 Replies

Italgato

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 12:09 am
Butrflynet:

Sure, Bush and his cronies are broadly hinting that the repeated criticism coming from the American People is aiding the enemy.

This is serious business. It is about life and death.

Our troops are dying in Iraq.

It is not like the senseless tattoo of idiotic sniping which prevented William Jefferson Clinton from doing his job.

That was just about sex. It was not important and the right wing rode that horse for years.

Now, we have a serious question. Why are we in Iraq?

The relentless propaganda machine owned by the Bush family continues to cause most of the American people to back Bush's senseless adventure.

Where are the truth tellers who will unmask the control of news by the "right wing" media?
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 12:53 am
Quote:
You seem to be fixated on totalitarianism----were you as fixated about the Taliban or Saddam?

Well, that didn't take long, only 2 hours.

Butrflynet wrote:
Now I guess we'll be called unpatriotic for questioning governmental policies and actions.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 06:49 am
Hi Nimh. Was in Iraq as a medic in the Army (1991). Volunteered for Rawa in the 1990s-2000s to help co-ordinate campus presentations. Boring stuff, but the best that I could do.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 09:03 am
To Hobitbob (regading your involvement in RAWA): I spent four years in Afghanistan in 1982-86 as a Soviet infantry officer. And I came to a conclusion that everyone in this country is a gangster. Najibullah and Karmal were thugs, but their opponents, the so-called mujahedeen were even worse, and Taliban that repaced them were gangsters too, just as the Northern Alliance leaders are. All them are murderers, looters and sodomites. If someone wants to install there a civilized government, he will find no decent candidatures for rulers, if we exclude an option of direct governing the country by some Western power.
OK, this may be an internal business of the Afghans: they have the regimes they want to have.
In this respect they should be left alone and permitted to search for optimal solution by means of trial and failure. But when they attempt to provide the enemies of the West with refuge and logistic support, they should be bombed to hell. Or the ruling mobsters should be replaced with other bandits that will not render assistance to Al-Qaeda.
The same refers to Iraq: if Hussein was concerned only with his internal affairs, I guess, no one would launch an attack against his regime. But his taking over Kuwait in 1990 showed that Iraq attempted to become the regional superpower. This endangers the strategic interests of the civilized world, hence there was no alternative to ousting Saddam. I believe that when the U.S. troops are withdrawn from there, the leader of the independent Iraqi government will be a SOB (corrupt, dishonest and bloodthirsty) that is neither better nor worse than Hussein, but I hope that this will be the SOB that does not make problems to the USA and the Western civilization. There is no use in attempting to reform the Oriental societies, it is waste of time and money, maybe in some 500-600 years they will evolve themselves to civilization. The only thing to be done is to neutralize the threat they pose to strategic interests of the civilized world, first and foremost, of the USA.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 01:31 pm
Quote:
And I came to a conclusion that everyone in this country is a gangster. Najibullah and Karmal were thugs, but their opponents, the so-called mujahedeen were even worse, and Taliban that repaced them were gangsters too, just as the Northern Alliance leaders are. All them are murderers, looters and sodomites.

Don't know about the sodomite bit, I'll lave that to your experience Wink. However, despite the fact that I can understand them wishing to kill you, considering your position at the time, I agree wtih the above statement. I don't share your confidence in the superiority of Western civilization, but then again, I am an historian, not a business person, former soviet army officer, etc...
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 04:47 pm
hobitbob wrote:
Hi Nimh. Was in Iraq as a medic in the Army (1991). Volunteered for Rawa in the 1990s-2000s to help co-ordinate campus presentations. Boring stuff, but the best that I could do.

not sound boring to me!

did you go afghanistan for rawa as well?

(if so, do tell!)

is rawa associated with any of the various groups or powers that have been around these past years?
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 05:01 pm
Steissd -- let's not forget that Bush 1 encouraged Saddam to invade Kuwait. See transcript of April Glaspie's interview:
http://www.whatreallyhappened.com/ARTICLE5/april.html
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 05:04 pm
Hobitbob

Quote:
I don't share your confidence in the superiority of Western civilization, but then again, I am a historian, not a business person

What are the Arab societies accomplishments in the last 600 years? They are still mired in about the 1400 century. Were it not for having oil they would still be riding around on camels. I should note that it was the western companies not they who developed the oil fields. Israel for is an example of western civilization and look what it has accomplished on a spit of land in 55 years.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 05:17 pm
Getting back to the question of whether dissent is somehow unpatriotic, this is the same tired and morally bankrupt line that the powers-that-be trot out whenever a war becomes unpopular. This was said during the Vietnam War, too.

Wasn't it Ari who warned American to watch what they say
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 05:32 pm
You can bet that will be a message for the next election. Don't change horses in mid stream. It was in 1944 [WW 2]
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 05:47 pm
nimh wrote:
hobitbob wrote:

not sound boring to me!

did you go afghanistan for rawa as well?

(if so, do tell!)

is rawa associated with any of the various groups or powers that have been around these past years?

I would love to have gone, but I couldn't afford to. They do cordinate with MSF and the UN fund for Women (I don't remember the actual name), and they have cooperated with Human Rights Watch,and AI. I'm going to try and volunteer with them this spring, when I will only be teaching one class, in addition to the four I will be enrolled in! Have you worked with them?
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 05:53 pm
au1929 wrote:
Hobitbob

Quote:
I don't share your confidence in the superiority of Western civilization, but then again, I am a historian, not a business person

What are the Arab societies accomplishments in the last 600 years? They are still mired in about the 1400 century. Were it not for having oil they would still be riding around on camels. I should note that it was the western companies not they who developed the oil fields. Israel for is an example of western civilization and look what it has accomplished on a spit of land in 55 years.

Depends on the nation. Its the non oil rich ones that have gone the farthest, i.e. Syria, Lebanon, and Egypt. After the fall of the Ottoman empire they all developed very fast. So did Turkey, which is often lumped in with the others. In fact, before the civil war and Israeli interference in the 1980s, Beirut was considered the Paris of the Med. I am hesitant to discuss the Arab world with you, au, becasue of your strong anti-Arab bias. Sorry. As for Israel's "progress," that has also been with tons of support from the west. The sword cuts both ways. Confused
0 Replies