Business psychobabble

nimh

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2003 04:45 pm
On the one hand, these posts of y'all are greatly comforting, cause they show me that things can be worse still ...

On the other hand, I really just like to get working whenever I feel like work's to be done - rather than first talking about it. Considering thats the case, I sometimes feel I ended up in the wrong line of work.

We don't just do, make or write something - that would be too simple, with too limited an outreach and impact, too ad-hoc, too - wasteful of the opportunity to use the interconnected realities of an increasingly globalised experience - or something - god forbid you should ever want to sit down and try to, like, invent a wheel or something.

So instead, we found an international network, to establish new modes and channels of interaction and promote the exchange of successful strategies, expertise and examples of good practice, between INGO's and NGO's that each can function as national platforms, or 'hubs' of activity, in their respective countries again - a 'network of networks', thus, based on an awareness of common goals, objectives and challenges - and to thus further the dissemination of information and methodologies, of pointers and guidelines derived from structural evaluation mechanisms - in short, the built-in multiplier effect to our advocacy lies in how we translate existing good practice into 'tools' that organisations can adopt and adapt for use in their day-to-day work, empowering themselves and empowering their target-groups, transnational and diasporic communities that have come to foster a myriad of reinvented self-identifications but are marginalised by an exclusionist, hegemonic political and media discourse, by mobilising them in what should result in a dialogue of all actors involved, that is to identify the most appropriate avenues of action and focus in particular on the development of innovative, interactive models of co-operation and project co-ordination.

<barf>
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2003 04:48 pm
Just in case you think I'm kidding - I just googled up some random use of the term "multiplier effect" - and came to, oh sadness, "Refugees International" (stole a six-word phrase from them for my post above, as you'll notice). These people are in the business of saving wretched human lives, right? So how come they talk like this?

Quote:
Your Support Has a Multiplier Effect.

there is a built-in multiplier effect to our advocacy ... To maximize the impact of our work, and avoid duplicating the efforts of others, ...

Well, perhaps they talk like that cause nowadays thats the only way to sucker rich people into giving you money, no matter how laudable the goal <nods>.

(Then again, thats the benevolent interpretation. The malevolant one would say something about how they're not in the business of saving wretched human lives: "RI's special role is to stimulate action by governments and UN agencies (we do not ourselves deliver aid)").

Jespah made me LOL, btw - thanks for pointing me here, cav <grins>

Oh, and you were obviously confused with Amperzand, the notoriously gloomy coastal town in Flanders. <nods>.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2003 05:17 pm
nimh wrote:

Jespah made me LOL, btw - thanks for pointing me here, cav <grins>

Oh, and you were obviously confused with Amperzand, the notoriously gloomy coastal town in Flanders. <nods>.

Can I send my former colleague straight to Amperzand? I will gladly pick up the cost of fourth-class postage and all. Hey, I'm sporting. :-D
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2003 05:55 pm
There's always too much babble before the real work begins. They can cut over fifty percent of the b.s. and get the same work done much faster.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2003 06:11 pm
nimh's post gets accolades from me, yessiree bob, it tells it like it is.
0 Replies

Eastree

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2003 03:16 am
Buzzword Bingo -- I recently bought an office survival-type book, just for laughs (hints on how to be better prepared for jobs you're not qualified for like shoe sales person -- and of course corporate cube slave), and in the back are ideas to look interested in meetings. There is a set of bingo cards to copy and (so the boss never knows) pass out to the others going to the meeting. It's too funny!

On another note -- A while back, I found a program online, still in development that would track word patterns and certain key phrase office and marketing buzzwords. The theory behind it is that people try to use more of these little office terrors when there's more bull crap to cover up. The program's purpose was to simply give a bullshit rating to documents based on the frequency of buzz words. Idunno -- it's just kinda funny -- an automatic bullcrap detctor ...
0 Replies