Serbian terms of endearment

ct54531

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 12:36 pm
I'm an author needing detail for my latest novel. What would a Serbian child (about 6-8 yrs) in the 1940's call his or her mother in Serbian? Also what terms might that young mother use with her child? I came across the term "dusho moja" but couldn't find a translation of it.
Also, would the terms/words be different for a Bosnian Serb? (Not counting the difference in cyrillic/western alphabets).

James Macomber
Author:
"Bargained for Exchange"
"Art & Part"
"A Grave Breach"
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 9,934 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Monger

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2003 09:09 am
Hi CT54531,

"Mama" would work fine, or Mamica (pronounced Mamitza). When calling to her a kid may say Mamice (Matmitzeh).

Dusho moja means literally "my soul," but it's used like "sweetheart" or such. For the mother, sine means son, ceri is an endearing form of "daughter."

What's the book about? I hope I'm not helping write a book against Serbs Wink
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2003 09:18 am
Does the word moja mean soul? I've always wondered about the word mojo, as in "Mojo Hand" or "I've got my mojo working" and the spelling makes me think it might be related. Our local baseball team uses the phrase "SoDo MoJo" as a rallying cry.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2003 09:33 am
Moja (pronounced moya) means "mine."

Here's what American Heritage says about mojo:
Quote:
mo·jo
n. pl. mo·jos or mo·joes
  1. A magic charm or spell.
  2. An amulet, often a small flannel bag containing one or more magic items, worn by adherents of hoodoo or voodoo.
  3. Personal magnetism; charm.
--------
[Perhaps ultimately from Fula moco'o, medicine man.]

0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2003 09:54 am
Thanks, Monger. If I say moya a few times, it begins to sound like my-uh.
0 Replies

ct54531

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2003 10:45 am
Serbian Terms of Endearment
Monger wrote:
Hi CT54531,

"Mama" would work fine, or Mamica (pronounced Mamitza). When calling to her a kid may say Mamice (Matmitzeh).

Dusho moja means literally "my soul," but it's used like "sweetheart" or such. For the mother, sine means son, ceri is an endearing form of "daughter."

What's the book about? I hope I'm not helping write a book against Serbs Wink

I promise you it is not a diatribe against the Serbs. This is going to sound like a commercial but I understand your concern and want to give a good response. My books have a strong international legal flavor and I use real situations with the characters I've created. The first book ("Bargained for Exchange") was about terrorists infiltrating universities to support their networks (written five years before 9/11). The second ("Art & Part") had the Lockerbie trial as background to the mystery/thriller plot. This one ("A Grave Breach") has the war crimes trials in the Hague as the core of the story but again it's a story about people in the context of broader events. Again, not to sound too much like a commercial but if you want to check Edit (Moderator): Do not post links to your site you might get a sense of the books. And. rather than take up too much space here, if you want to e-mail me at that site, I can give you more details. As for the specific inquiry here, it involves a flashback to WWII NE Bosnia and a young Serbian mother and her daughter are very sympathetic characters, I assure you.
Again, thanks for the help.

Jim
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2003 11:05 am
Cool stuff, Jim Smile I'm only part Serb & not a native speaker of the language, but if ya have any more questions gimme a holler & I'll try to help as much as possible.
0 Replies