THE GENERAL ELECTION 2008

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2008 10:56 pm
Re that Virginia address for McCain's campaign headquarters, he couldn't very well effectively run a Presidential campaign and fulfill his responsibilities in the U.S. Senate if it was in Phoenix, could he.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2008 10:57 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
One correction, FF. I dual majored, but only received one undergraduate degree.

Your second major didn't count? Or you didn't finish it?

It counted, and I finished it ... still, just the one Bachelor's degree with a dual major.

Oh okay. But you can still claim a B.A. in history plus a B.A. or B.S. in your other discipline, yes? (It's been awhile since I looked into all that and since I didn't have a second major never thought about how it might work. Both my kids had single majors too.)
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2008 11:09 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
One correction, FF. I dual majored, but only received one undergraduate degree.

Your second major didn't count? Or you didn't finish it?

It counted, and I finished it ... still, just the one Bachelor's degree with a dual major.

Oh okay. But you can still show a B.A. in history plus a B.A. or B.S. in your other discipline, yes?

No. I have one B.A. in History and Business Administration. I could have selected the B.S., if I wanted to. Would have required more math and less foreign language.

But it's okay ... I have plenty of letters after my name, as far as I'm concerned.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2008 11:16 pm
Okay thanks. There I learned something. And I'm assuming Walter will read along too so I won't lead him too far astray. Smile
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2008 07:08 pm
Meanwhile back to the election, does anybody know where I can get this bumper sticker?

http://hometown.aol.com/thatsrightnate/images/mccain08.jpg
0 Replies

springhill

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2008 08:32 pm
McSame - The power of change - senior citizen
http://i32.tinypic.com/nvwjmr.jpg
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2008 10:24 am
Oh goody. Do we have another Rox clone?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2008 11:21 am
Another argument for Obama not choosing Hillary for president:

http://media.townhall.com/Townhall/Car/b/wright0607color-.jpg
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2008 11:39 am
dyslexia wrote:
Speaking of ethics, republicans and my home state Heather Wilson (on the list for investigation by the house ethics committee) lost her primary bid for the US Senate to Steve Pierce a local wingnut who has been a consistent and strong advocate of drilling in Otero Mesa, New Mexico despite environmentalists and the Bureau of Land Management's (BLM) assertion that only a minuscule amount of oil and natural gas lie beneath the grasslands. Rep. Pearce, however, contends that drilling in the area would keep natural gas prices level and create jobs thereby stimulating the state's economy. Initially, the BLM opposed opening the area arguing that drilling would both directly and indirectly destruct the habitat for wildlife. In 2000, however, BLM reversed its decision and proposed a plan that would open nearly 1.4 million acres to drilling. The BLM turnaround coincided with the largest lease holder in the Otero Mesa, Yates Petroleum, donating over $230,000 to the GOP over the last three election cycles.

Yates Petroleum also has been the single largest donor to Rep. Pearce's campaign committees since 2002 with $32,490 in donations. Individually, members of the Yates family have contributed $78,379.99 to Rep. Pearce since he first ran for office in 2002.

If Rep. Pearce advocated opening up Otero Mesa to drilling in exchange for campaign contributions, he may have violated the bribery statute or accepted illegal gratuities.
But then ethics is not a strong point of republicans in general. in fact, I would say they reek just slight more so than democrats.

So the BLM, while Bill Clinton was President, reversed a decision they had made.
And somehow, its the fault of a candidate for congress, who had no guarantee of winning the election?

Thats a stretch, even for you.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2008 11:43 am
Speaking of changing positions, Obama has retreated from his recent pledge for an undivided Jerusalem. Note at the end of the article that his spokesman, Wexler, says that he didn't backtrack or even amend his position. So did he or didn't he?

Obama Backs Away From Comment on Divided JerusalemBy Glenn Kessler
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, June 6, 2008; 9:30 AM

Facing criticism from Palestinians, Sen. Barack Obama acknowledged yesterday that the status of Jerusalem will need to be negotiated in future peace talks, amending a statement earlier in the week that the city "must remain undivided."

Obama's statement, made during a speech Wednesday to the American Israel Public Affairs Committee, a pro-Israel lobbying group, drew a swift rebuke from Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas.

"This statement is totally rejected," Abbas told reporters in the West Bank city of Ramallah. "The whole world knows that holy Jerusalem was occupied in 1967, and we will not accept a Palestinian state without having Jerusalem as the capital of a Palestinian state."

The Bush administration's official position is that the status of Jerusalem must be decided by the parties. Before he left office, President Bill Clinton proposed a formula under which "Jerusalem should be an open and undivided city," including locating the Palestinian capital in East Jerusalem.

Obama quickly backtracked yesterday in an interview with CNN.

"Well, obviously, it's going to be up to the parties to negotiate a range of these issues. And Jerusalem will be part of those negotiations," Obama said when asked whether Palestinians had no future claim to the city.

Obama said "as a practical matter, it would be very difficult to execute" a division of the city. "And I think that it is smart for us to -- to work through a system in which everybody has access to the extraordinary religious sites in Old Jerusalem but that Israel has a legitimate claim on that city."

But Rep. Robert Wexler (D-Fla.) later said on behalf of the Obama campaign that Obama's comment to CNN should not be seen as backtracking or even an amendment. He said Obama was clarifying that he has long believed it is up to the parties involved to determine the status of Jerusalem.
WASHINGTON POST LINK
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2008 11:56 am
mysteryman wrote:
dyslexia wrote:
Speaking of ethics, republicans and my home state Heather Wilson (on the list for investigation by the house ethics committee) lost her primary bid for the US Senate to Steve Pierce a local wingnut who has been a consistent and strong advocate of drilling in Otero Mesa, New Mexico despite environmentalists and the Bureau of Land Management's (BLM) assertion that only a minuscule amount of oil and natural gas lie beneath the grasslands. Rep. Pearce, however, contends that drilling in the area would keep natural gas prices level and create jobs thereby stimulating the state's economy. Initially, the BLM opposed opening the area arguing that drilling would both directly and indirectly destruct the habitat for wildlife. In 2000, however, BLM reversed its decision and proposed a plan that would open nearly 1.4 million acres to drilling. The BLM turnaround coincided with the largest lease holder in the Otero Mesa, Yates Petroleum, donating over $230,000 to the GOP over the last three election cycles.

Yates Petroleum also has been the single largest donor to Rep. Pearce's campaign committees since 2002 with $32,490 in donations. Individually, members of the Yates family have contributed $78,379.99 to Rep. Pearce since he first ran for office in 2002.

If Rep. Pearce advocated opening up Otero Mesa to drilling in exchange for campaign contributions, he may have violated the bribery statute or accepted illegal gratuities.
But then ethics is not a strong point of republicans in general. in fact, I would say they reek just slight more so than democrats.

So the BLM, while Bill Clinton was President, reversed a decision they had made.
And somehow, its the fault of a candidate for congress, who had no guarantee of winning the election?

Thats a stretch, even for you.

The Clinton administration was wishy washy about Otero Mesa first allowing drilling and then restricting drilling to where roads already existed, a requirement that all companies interested in exploring the area, including Yates Petroleum, protested as being unreasonable. Pearce, however, was not elected to Congress until 2002 so he was not part of any of that, at least in an official capacity. Pearce has been consistent all along, however, in his advocacy for domestic exploration, drillling, and production and it would be very difficult to say that he adopted that position to accomodate Yates Petroleum. (Yates is within his Congressional district however, and Pearce probably knows at least some of the Yates family personally.)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2008 12:00 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
Speaking of changing positions, Obama has retreated from his recent pledge for an undivided Jerusalem. Note at the end of the article that his spokesman, Wexler, says that he didn't backtrack or even amend his position. So did he or didn't he?

No, he didn't. according to the Jerusalem Post ...

http://i31.tinypic.com/ebbyg3.jpg

... but Olmert called Obama's address "moving" (same source as above: Jerusalem Post, 06.06.08, frontpage and page 18):

http://i29.tinypic.com/fo0ign.jpg
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2008 12:18 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:

No, he didn't. according to the Jerusalem Post ...

http://i31.tinypic.com/ebbyg3.jpg

... but Olmert called Obama's address "moving" (same source as above: Jerusalem Post, 06.06.08, frontpage and page 18):

http://i29.tinypic.com/fo0ign.jpg

That's not the way it has been reported.

Wed June 4, 2008
Obama strongly backs Israel in first speech since record win

CNN) -- Barack Obama has strongly backed Israel in his first foreign policy speech since becoming the presumptive Democratic presidential nominee, just two days after he was accused of naivete by Republican challenger John McCain.
Democratic presidential hopeful Barack Obama has said that he is a "true friend of Israel."

Speaking to the American Israel Public Affairs Committee, an influential pro-Israel lobbying group, Obama said, "Any agreement with the Palestinian people must preserve Israel's identity as a Jewish state, with secure, recognized and defensible borders. Jerusalem will remain the capital of Israel, and it must remain undivided."
CNN LINK

Abbas slams Obama for saying Jerusalem to stay Israel's undivided capital

By Haaretz Service and News Agencies

In his first foreign policy speech since clinching the Democratic nomination in the U.S. presidential race Tuesday, Barack Obama asssured the American Israel Public Affairs Committee (AIPAC) Wednesday that he would not allow Iran to acquire nuclear arms, and that Jerusalem would remain the undivided capital of Israel.

"Let me be clear," Obama said, "Israel's security is sacrosanct. It is non-negotiable. The Palestinians need a state that is contiguous and cohesive and that allows them to prosper. But any agreement with the Palestinian people must preserve Israel's identity as a Jewish state, with secure, recognized and defensible borders. Jerusalem will remain the capital of Israel, and it must remain undivided," he added, in efforts to secure the Jewish vote.

Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas, who is currently negotiating the establishment of a Palestinian state with Israel, lambasted Obama's remarks later on Wednesday, saying there would be no peaceful solution to the Middle East conflict without a resolution of the status of Jerusalem, which both sides claim as their capital.

"This statement is totally rejected," Abbas told reporters.
HAARETZ
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2008 12:26 pm
Foxfyre wrote:

Are you saying that I falsified the source?

But it certainly might be that you get in USA another printed edition then we got here

Front page as of 06.06.08
http://i27.tinypic.com/313kok8.jpg

page 18
http://i30.tinypic.com/2r39rtl.jpg
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2008 12:29 pm
Oh for crying out loud Walter. Did I say or even suggest or even hint that you falsified the source? All I said is that the reporting of the event didn't back up your source or your opinion about it and I provided two sources to illustrate my point. In your world is every opinion contrary to your own some kind of personal affront?

Just once could we have a discussion on an issue we disagree on without you thinking it is some kind of personal attack on you?

Even the headline in your source says Obama backtracks on the issue. So you seem to be arguing against even your own source.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2008 12:42 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
Oh for crying out loud Walter. Did I say or even suggest or even hint that you falsified the source? All I said is that the reporting of the event didn't back up your source or your opinion about it and I provided two sources to illustrate my point. In your world is every opinion contrary to your own some kind of personal affront?

I quoted two copied/pasted passages from the JP. To which you responded

Foxfyre wrote:

That is totally different as if you had said that the reporting of the event didn't back up my source.

Foxfyre wrote:
Even the headline in your source says Obama backtracks on the issue. So you seem to be arguing against even your own source.

Critics about bad journalism is one of your favourites, I think? I didn't write that report nor did I text the headline.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2008 01:26 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:

I quoted two copied/pasted passages from the JP. To which you responded

Foxfyre wrote:

That is totally different as if you had said that the reporting of the event didn't back up my source.

Foxfyre wrote:

Critics about bad journalism is one of your favourites, I think? I didn't write that report nor did I text the headline.

I am not going to argue the point about what I said nor do I agree with your opinion that something is totally different based on how you interpret it. You said that Obama had not switched his position on a divided Jerusalem and posted unlinked excerpts from the Jerusalem Post which I presume you thought supported your opinion that he had not changed his opinion.

I then said that was not what had been reported and posted two sources supporting my opinion about that.

You apparently took offense and thought I was accusing you of falsifying what you had posted. Then you posted a full page from the Jerusalem Post that actually supported my opinion that Obama had reversed his statement on Jerusalem.

I was disagreeing with you Walter but I wasn't accusing you of anything. Your suggestion that I was accusing you is unfounded and appears paranoid to me. There isn't much point in having a discussion with anybody if you're expected to agree with the other person and can't disagree without the other person going off on a tangent.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2008 01:50 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
You said that Obama had not switched his position on a divided Jerusalem and posted unlinked excerpts from the Jerusalem Post....

Any idea how to link a printed paper besides copying it?

Foxfyre wrote:
Then you posted a full page from the Jerusalem Post that actually supported my opinion that Obama had reversed his statement on Jerusalem.

It didn't - besides, how do you know, since above you said I posted 'unlinked'?

Foxfyre wrote:
I was disagreeing with you Walter but I wasn't accusing you of anything.

Well, you didn't accuse me, right. You only wote that my quotes were reported in a different way.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2008 02:15 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:
You said that Obama had not switched his position on a divided Jerusalem and posted unlinked excerpts from the Jerusalem Post....

Any idea how to link a printed paper besides copying it?

I assume the two excerpts I linked were excerpts from printed papers. I didn't fault you for not linking your source, however. I simply commented that the excerpts did not reflect what has been reported.

Quote:
Foxfyre wrote:
Then you posted a full page from the Jerusalem Post that actually supported my opinion that Obama had reversed his statement on Jerusalem.

It didn't - besides, how do you know, since above you said I posted 'unlinked'?

I based my comment on what you actually did post. I can read a headline and see what it says when it is posted here. The headline says "Obama Backtracks on a United J'lem" That is precisely what I said he did. And that is what you said he didn't do. And now you're trying to tell me the Headline on the newspaper page you posted doesn't say that?

Quote:
Foxfyre wrote:
I was disagreeing with you Walter but I wasn't accusing you of anything.

Well, you didn't accuse me, right. You only wote that my quotes were reported in a different way.

Thank you for finally admitting that I did not accuse you. I suppose an apology from you for misjudging me is out of the question. (It usually is.)

And yes I said that your opinion, which you presumably attempted to support with those posted excerpts, had been reported in a different way and posted examples to support my opinion along with links to the sources to show how the reporting was different.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2008 09:53 am
One of the continuing themes I hear about Obama is that nobody really knows him or what to expect from him as President. Well, we do have his track record as an activist in Chicago, as a state legislator, and as a U.S. Senator all reflecting a far left and partisan ideology that doesn't really square with his current theme's of 'reaching across party lines' and 'coming together' etc.

But this lengthy New York Times magazine article pretty well lays out David Axelrod's strategy for making Obama irrisistible, and that strategy includes almost nothing of what we can expect from Obama as president. It almost states that if Obama runs on the issues, he loses. (And that takes us back to that recurring theme that we don't really know what to expect from him as President.)

So is Obama for real? Or a carefully engineered illusion? Inquiring minds want to know.

Except from the article:
Quote:

NY TIMES MAGAZINE
0 Replies