Outrage of the Week

cjhsa

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 06:28 am
Outrage Of The Week

This week's outrage comes to us from Winchendon, Massachusetts where, in yet another case of "zero-tolerance" enforcement defying common sense, fourth-grader Bradley Geslak was suspended from Toy Town Elementary School for bringing a Memorial Day souvenir to school.

According to a May 29, Telegram.com article, a uniformed veteran gave the 10-year-old two empty rifle shell casings from blanks used during the town's Memorial Day celebration Monday morning. Bradley gave one of the empty casings to his grandfather and kept the other as a souvenir. The trouble began when he took his souvenir to school the next day.

"He was just playing with it at lunch," explained Crystal Geslak, Bradley's mother. "He wasn't showing it to anyone; he had it in his hand and was playing with it."

A teacher saw him with the harmless piece of brass and confiscated it. Ms. Geslak was then called at work and told to come and pick up her son, who had been suspended for five days!

Ms. Geslak arrived at the school to find her son in tears. "I was totally shocked. I couldn't believe this was happening," she said. "It was just an empty shell, not even from a real bullet. A sharpened pencil would be more dangerous than this piece of metal."

"He was so proud to have been given them. His dad's a veteran, his uncle's a veteran, both his grandfathers are veterans. Memorial Day is a big thing to us. It's a very important holiday and we have a big celebration every year," Ms. Geslak said.

Ms. Geslak, who will be forced to miss work in order to stay home with her son, says she is worried about what having a "weapon-related suspension" on his school record will mean to his future.

To add insult to injury, the family says a school official told them that the shell would not be returned, and that the next step might involve assigning a probation officer to Bradley! Yes, you read that right, a probation officer.

A young boy punished over a harmless souvenir. By any standard, that's outrageous.

If you'd like to express your concern over this incident, please visit http://www.winchendon.mec.edu/. To leave a voice message for Brooke Clenchy, Superintendent of Schools, please call 978-297-0031.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Superintendent Brooke Clenchy's email: [email protected]
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 770 • Replies: 9
No top replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 06:35 am
Someone needs a good paddling. And it's not the student.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 06:40 am
It is apparent that the little town suffers from "News deprivation" . Its a common occurence in smal towns where the front pages of their newspapers are festooned with sales banners and recipes. I suppose that the kid and his parent get to whine about being caught in an unthinking beuracracy, to which the uncaring beuracracy merely readjusts its stance and begins chanting "zero tolerance".

I was watching the youtube flick called "10 mph", a documentary about some guys who did a road trip across USA on a SeGway. They arrived at this one town and were lwectured by this obviously IQ challenged cop who was so caught up in his authority that he looked like a complete jerk (probably he didnt get the fact that he was being filmed all through his spot). So finally a grown up cop gets on the scene and shuts down Barney and everyone goes on their way happy and full of 3 more minutes of funny film.

The kid will live, so will the parent. The school board reps and the SUper will look like as sholes, which is as it should be anyway
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 06:47 am
Cub about got suspended a few years back for having a piece of his paintball gun in his backpack. He had taken it to school to give to another student that had what was needed to clean and fix it. Can't tell you what piece it was since I don't know anything about them, but it was something like just the barrel, or just the hand piece. Whatever part it was it didn't even have the trigger.

Course, I can see where there could be some kind of conspiracy to have five or six friends bring different parts and then put it back together during lunch... But, even after they knew that not to be the case, they were going to suspend him.

Thankfully, reason won out.
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 08:52 am
Toy Town? Apparently so.

When I think of all the dangerous stuff kids brought to school when I was a kid....
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 02:12 pm
Like sticks?

:wink:
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 02:28 pm
there are few things more inefficient, purposefully obtuse and more concerned with covering their asses than serving those they're charged with serving than the public education system.
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2008 03:33 pm
squinney wrote:
Like sticks?

Not really, but if you put enough ketchup on them....

But seriously: when I was young and went to suburban public schools, I saw brass knuckles, switchblades, (empty and defused) handgrenades, bb pistols, etc.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2008 03:46 pm
Yeah, switchblades. They got kind of hard to get, starting somewhere in high school.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2008 03:58 pm
Er..... just a little peep from someone in public education. The boy's mother was reporting what her son told her had happened. While I think this got blown way out of proportion if the details are correct, keep that fact in mind until you read more.

One more note: Winchendon, though in Massachusetts, isn't exactly a hot-bed of liberal thought.
0 Replies