1
   

Can we talk manners for a moment?

 
 
Gala
 
Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 09:02 am
Okay, I've just found out my boss from my part-time job is leaving the position soon.

This is where my selfish self comes in-- all I care about is who will be replacing him and what that person will be like. I know I ought to send some kind of "congratulations" to this guy, but quite frankly, I consider him to be slippery and my respect for him is perhaps one notch above car salesman.

Do I have to be nice to him?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,682 • Replies: 23
No top replies

 
DrewDad
 
  1  
Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 09:04 am
IMO, it won't hurt to be gracious.
0 Replies
 
gustavratzenhofer
 
  1  
Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 09:09 am
No. Ignore him; he'll be gone soon and shortly thereafter you will have forgotten he ever existed.
0 Replies
 
Gala
 
  1  
Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 09:11 am
You're right. But I don't want to be gracious-- especially after some of the sneaky things he did. But, you're right. I'll wait a few days before I contact him, it'll give me some time to muster of some kindness.
0 Replies
 
Tai Chi
 
  1  
Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 09:12 am
There are pleasant ways of saying what you really mean. I recently got a difficult customer who was unbelievably rude to the point of threatening. I spent 20 minutes digging through the loading dock for a product she had been told was in stock (it had been unloaded from a truck that afternoon and was not yet on the floor). It was a fluke I found the right box. When I arrived at customer service she just glared at me (customer service was on the phone with her husband who she had called and he was haranguing them with how mean we had been to his wife...). I dredged up a smile and said, "I'm really glad you didn't have to make a special trip back for this." What I meant, of course, was "I hope I never see you again."
0 Replies
 
Gala
 
  1  
Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 09:15 am
Tai Chi wrote:
There are pleasant ways of saying what you really mean. I recently got a difficult customer who was unbelievably rude to the point of threatening. I spent 20 minutes digging through the loading dock for a product she had been told was in stock (it had been unloaded from a truck that afternoon and was not yet on the floor). It was a fluke I found the right box. When I arrived at customer service she just glared at me (customer service was on the phone with her husband who she had called and he was haranguing them with how mean we had been to his wife...). I dredged up a smile and said, "I'm really glad you didn't have to make a special trip back for this." What I meant, of course, was "I hope I never see you again."


That's a good story--- and the place you work for ought to be grateful to have you working for them-- especially because good customer service means a lot to the business...unfortunately, your kindness means she Will be back.
0 Replies
 
gustavratzenhofer
 
  1  
Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 09:16 am
I deal with rude and unpleasant people only once. After that -- they cease to exist.

Figuratively speaking, of course.
0 Replies
 
George
 
  1  
Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 09:30 am
It all depends on what you mean when you say that you know you "ought to"
send him congratulations.

If you mean that that is what's expected and you'd only be doing it
reluctantly and for form's sake, then I'd say no; let him go without a word.

If you mean that by your own standards sending congratulations would be
the right thing to do, then hold your nose and do it. A simple polite message
will do.
0 Replies
 
Amigo
 
  1  
Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 09:34 am
Gala, why add more bullshit to your life. Being nasty will just make your eight hours worse, everyday and lower the quality of your life.
0 Replies
 
Gala
 
  1  
Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 09:35 am
George wrote:
It all depends on what you mean when you say that you know you "ought to"
send him congratulations.

If you mean that that is what's expected and you'd only be doing it
reluctantly and for form's sake, then I'd say no; let him go without a word.

If you mean that by your own standards sending congratulations would be
the right thing to do, then hold your nose and do it. A simple polite message
will do.


Actually George, it's a little bit of both. His personality is not particularly compatible with mine-- a) he's young and has a short attention span b) he's a salesman c) he's competitive with me. In the past he's said things just to cover himself and never had any intention of doing the things I requested, etc. So it's with mixed feelings.
0 Replies
 
George
 
  1  
Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 09:48 am
Then I'd go with a short, simple note of congratulations...



...and as you write it, play this to yourself...
0 Replies
 
Chai
 
  1  
Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 11:20 am
George wrote:
Then I'd go with a short, simple note of congratulations...



...and as you write it, play this to yourself...



WHOA!

I always thought that song was sung by a black band.



I am so white.





gala, just be civil, it'll be over soon.

or, maybe it'll work out for you, the way it did for me...

2 days before someone I couldn't stand left, I badly pulled a muscle and had to stay home for 3 days. Really, wasn't faking it.

It was worth the pain.



How do you feel about falling down a short flight of stairs, or maybe just tripping on the gravel in your driveway?
0 Replies
 
Chai
 
  1  
Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 11:22 am
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
I deal with rude and unpleasant people only once. After that -- they cease to exist.

Figuratively speaking, of course.




Is this why you never talk to me any more?
0 Replies
 
Izzie
 
  1  
Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 11:38 am
I'd just go with a "best wishes on your new job" email

you've lost nothing

you've wished someone well and you haven't compromised anything Smile
0 Replies
 
Gala
 
  1  
Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 12:02 pm
Amigo wrote:
Gala, why add more bullshit to your life. Being nasty will just make your eight hours worse, everyday and lower the quality of your life.


I agree with you Amigo. I won't be nasty-- just restrained, as dealing with him requires restraint, even in his departure. I'd say he gets high grades in Drama he probably wants me to fall to my knees and grab him by the kness and beg him not to go.
0 Replies
 
Gala
 
  1  
Reply Thu 29 May, 2008 06:20 am
George wrote:
Then I'd go with a short, simple note of congratulations...



...and as you write it, play this to yourself...


Thanks, George. You've enlightened Chai to boot.

Chai wrote:
WHOA!

I always thought that song was sung by a black band.



I am so white.





gala, just be civil, it'll be over soon.

or, maybe it'll work out for you, the way it did for me...

2 days before someone I couldn't stand left, I badly pulled a muscle and had to stay home for 3 days. Really, wasn't faking it.

It was worth the pain.



How do you feel about falling down a short flight of stairs, or maybe just tripping on the gravel in your driveway?


Ha. this guy's far away...I was hired online sight unseen.
Civil, yes. As a matter of fact, it's worked out well in recent months because I am spare in the communication with him. So far, I haven't responded to his high drama email about his departure from the company.

I swear, he wants me to lay prostrate to him, or whatever...

White you are...I'd never seen the band that sung that song but I never once thought they were brothers.

Izzie wrote:
I'd just go with a "best wishes on your new job" email

you've lost nothing

you've wished someone well and you haven't compromised anything Smile


Thanks to you too, Izzie. I'm going to be darling.
0 Replies
 
Noddy24
 
  1  
Reply Thu 29 May, 2008 06:44 pm
George has some excellent advice.

You can always wish him the future that he is sure to earn by his own efforts.
0 Replies
 
Gala
 
  1  
Reply Fri 30 May, 2008 06:24 am
I haven't done squat to respond to him yet because I'm mustering up my skills to be polite. I have a low tolerance for people who are opaque but think they're being transparent-- wait a minute, isn't this the definition of a salesman?

Noddy, I'm going to try.
0 Replies
 
Noddy24
 
  1  
Reply Sat 31 May, 2008 03:23 pm
Gala--

Your slimy salesman is going bye-bye. You have to live with yourself.
0 Replies
 
Gala
 
  1  
Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 09:16 am
Noddy24 wrote:
Gala--

Your slimy salesman is going bye-bye. You have to live with yourself.


Said slimy salesman is passing the torch onto an even younger person who could be my boss. He's hinted they may not be using my services anymore but are being extremely vague.

I've had equal proportions of negative and positive with them-- the money's been good, but dealing with them has not. I'm trying to decide if I ought to just quit, especially seeing as I have an opportunity to work Sundays in July for the organic farmer.

I'm thinking after that something will come along...
0 Replies
 
 

Related Topics

Dispatches from the Startup Front - Discussion by jespah
Bullying Dominating Coworker - Question by blueskies
Co worker being caught looking at you - Question by lisa1471
Work Place Romance - Discussion by Dino12
Does your office do Christmas? - Discussion by tsarstepan
Question about this really rude girl at work? - Question by riverstyx0128
Does she like me? - Question by jct573
Does my coworker like me? - Question by riverstyx0128
Maintenance training - Question by apjones37643
Personal questions - Discussion by Angel23
Making friends/networking at work - Question by egrizzly
 
  1. Forums
  2. » Can we talk manners for a moment?
Copyright © 2021 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.05 seconds on 04/14/2021 at 11:33:01