Obama's father was in the Russian Army?!

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 02:09 pm
Obama Talks of Family's Military Service

Quote:
LAS CRUCES, N.M. -- Despite not having served in the military himself, Barack Obama used his Memorial Day remarks to speak about his family's service. "My grandfather marched in Patton's army, but I cannot know what it is to walk into battle like so many of you," he told a small group of veterans here. "My grandmother worked on a bomber assembly line, but I cannot know what it is for a family to sacrifice like so many of yours have."

Obama said he supports the new GI Bill because of his grandfather's experience in the program after World War II. "We should make sure that today's veterans get the same benefit that my grandfather got when he came back from World War II," Obama said. "It was a good investment not only for him, but it was a good investment for the country, built our middle class. So we're going to make sure that that gets passed."

He said President Bush may veto the bill, but he vowed to try and override it if it comes back to the House and Senate.

Obama also spoke about his uncle, who was part of the American brigade that helped to liberate Auschwitz. He said the family legend is that, upon returning from war, his uncle spent six months in an attic. "Now obviously, something had really affected him deeply, but at that time there just weren't the kinds of facilities to help somebody work through that kind of pain," Obama said. "That's why this idea of making sure that every single veteran, when they are discharged, are screened for post-traumatic stress disorder and given the mental health services that they need - that's why it's so important."

A slip of the tongue? A misremembered event? I wonder if there were snipers when his grandfather liberated Auschwitz with the Red Army?

Link to video
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,139 • Replies: 35
No top replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 02:12 pm
give him a pass... I'm sure it's the reporting media who's mistaken...
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 02:15 pm
Seems like a desperation move on Obamas part. Is this the same Grandma who gets scared when "black" people walk around?
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 02:19 pm
Well, at least he knows the Germans started it all by bombing Pearl Harbor!
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 02:34 pm
The silver tongued snake oil salesman told a lie. Surprise,surprise.
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 03:02 pm
Re: Obama's father was in the Russian Army?!
Quote:

A slip of the tongue? A misremembered event? I wonder if there were snipers when his grandfather liberated Auschwitz with the Red Army?

Link to video

A slip of the tongue. Americans did liberate concentration camps, just not Auschwitz. Obama misspoke. He might have had Auschwitz confused with Buchenwald, which was liberated by Patton's army.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 03:11 pm
Quote:
An aide to Barack Obama says the candidate misspoke on Memorial Day when he told a group of veterans that his uncle was among the American troops who liberated the Auschwitz concentration camp.

In fact, Obama's great uncle took part in the liberation of one of the concentration camps at Buchenwald, spokesman Bill Burton said this afternoon.

"Yesterday he mistakenly referred to Auschwitz instead of Buchenwald in telling of his personal experience of a soldier in his family who served heroically," Burton said.

http://www.swamppolitics.com/news/politics/blog/2008/05/obama_misspoke_about_auschwitz.html
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 03:46 pm
These family legends often get exaggerated. The big thing in my family was that one of our cousins Wallis Warfield married the King of England who renounced her throne for her. I never did ever find out how close a cousin she really was but to hear my relatives tell it, she was almost a sister rather than a cousin. There was also a lot of talk that a great, great whatever was a prince, my estrangend grandfather was Jewish, that we have "black blood" in us. (we all have an overabundance of singing and dancing talent!) Smile

I have no idea how much of these family legends are true. But I bet that Obama's relatives used the much more known location of Auschwitz when retelling the yarn.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 04:00 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Quote:
LAS CRUCES, N.M. -- ... "My grandfather marched in Patton's army, ...."

[...]
Obama also spoke about his uncle, who was part of the American brigade that helped to liberate Auschwitz.
[...]

So Patton's army was part of the Red Army? Shocked

And I'd thaught that there wasn't a Red Army in WWI but only the Imperial Russian Army. But McG might know it better, he's an American and I'm only a stupid German from fairyland Europe.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 04:19 pm
Equus wrote:
Quote:

Link to video

A slip of the tongue. Americans did liberate concentration camps, just not Auschwitz. Obama misspoke. He might have had Auschwitz confused with Buchenwald, which was liberated by Patton's army.

He obviously doesn't know the difference, and displays a pathetic knowledge of history. Yet another example of his lack of foreign policy experience.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 04:30 pm
Don't you know? Every word spoken by a politician must be verifiably true, unless it concerns weapons of mass destruction in Iraq.
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 04:33 pm
Me thinks Mr. Obama needs a new speech writer.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 04:57 pm
This is why I don't follow political campaigns on a day to day basis. People pounce on anything, no matter how insignificant, to beat the candidates down over it. Ooh. He called a can of baked beans pork n beans. Not fit to serve.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 05:59 pm
McGentrix, just curious because I see no mention by Obama of his father in your article. Is your title 'Obama's father was in the Russian Army?! a kind of slip of the tongue? I guess it can happen to the best AND worst of them.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 06:02 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
This is why I don't follow political campaigns on a day to day basis. People pounce on anything, no matter how insignificant, to beat the candidates down over it. Ooh. He called a can of baked beans pork n beans. Not fit to serve.

Good one, edgar - totally on board with these sentiments.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 07:11 pm
blueflame1 wrote:
McGentrix, just curious because I see no mention by Obama of his father in your article. Is your title 'Obama's father was in the Russian Army?! a kind of slip of the tongue? I guess it can happen to the best AND worst of them.

And then along comes Tico with his usual drivel. Was that the meme of the week that you've been instructed to dispense, Tico?

Why not continue with an honest appraisal of the two candidates, Tico? Much, much too big a task for you. It just ain't in you.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 07:28 pm
Roxxxanne wrote:
These family legends often get exaggerated. The big thing in my family was that one of our cousins Wallis Warfield married the King of England who renounced her throne for her. I never did ever find out how close a cousin she really was but to hear my relatives tell it, she was almost a sister rather than a cousin. There was also a lot of talk that a great, great whatever was a prince, my estrangend grandfather was Jewish, that we have "black blood" in us. (we all have an overabundance of singing and dancing talent!) Smile

I have no idea how much of these family legends are true. But I bet that Obama's relatives used the much more known location of Auschwitz when retelling the yarn.

so you're great singers and dancers because you have black blood eh? How 'bout the three pointer? Can you hit the three pointer? You reveal yourself.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 10:19 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
so you're great singers and dancers because you have black blood eh? How 'bout the three pointer? Can you hit the three pointer? You reveal yourself.

Bird could hit the three pointer.
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 10:45 pm
Hey Roxxx, did you ever play basketball?
0 Replies

Kayyam

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 11:04 pm
blueflame1 wrote:

he he he... people in glass houses...
0 Replies