Are there any any rules or tips to remember them?help me
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,217 • Replies: 12
No top replies

contrex

Reply Mon 26 May, 2008 03:59 am
There are no "plural verbs" in English. There are no "past present" verbs either.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 01:54 pm
contrex wrote:
There are no "plural verbs" in English.

I guess that the sentence might be glossed as this, C. But it could also be glossed as,

"with plural nouns or [inflected] verbs, when do we say /iz/ or /s/ or/z/."

OR

"with plural nouns or [with] verbs, when do we say /iz/ or /s/ or/z/."
0 Replies

gingko

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 10:54 pm
sr, so with plural nouns , when do we say /iz/ or /s/ or/z/
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 12:13 am
Please give some examples of what you mean.
0 Replies

anastasia

Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 08:02 pm
http://netgrammar.altec.org/Support/a101b4_101000.html

it has to do with whatever the last letter of the word is. that link gives a pretty definitive chart, and i've found the site to be pretty helpful for these kinds of questions.

Quote:

If the simple form ends with the sounds /s/, /z/, /sh/, /zh/, Ich/, /j/, /ks/, then pronounce -s and -es as an extra syllable /iz/

If the simple form ends with the voiceless sounds /p/, /t/, /k/, /f/, or /th/, then pronounce -s and -es as /s/

If the simple form ends with any other consonant or with a vowel sound, then pronounce -s and -es as /z/

it's the same basic principle as the one for indefinite articles. except it's not as noticeable if you say "catz" as it is if you say "an cat"

the distinction is not that big a deal.
0 Replies

anastasia

Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 08:22 pm
it's the same with past tense - this is taken straight from one of my own books - understanding and using english grammar by betty azar. (which i highly recommend as a reference)

http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/7523/edfh7.jpg
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 10:36 pm
Thanks for those, Anastasia. I couldn't locate them in any of the reference books I currently have. I left a lot of my ESL books behind when I came back to Canada.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 29 May, 2008 12:11 am
On a side note, do you say:

dreamed or dreamt

leaped or leapt

etc.

I think while you would be correct to say it's "clapped" with the "d" sound present, we often slur (for want of a better word) our words, so it winds up sounding like a "t", as in "clapt".

It's all so imprecise.

And, of course, it's regional.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Thu 29 May, 2008 12:25 am
Anastasia, that table answers gingko's question nicely.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Thu 29 May, 2008 09:02 am
Quote:

dreamed or dreamt

leaped or leapt

etc.

"dreamt" and "leapt" are not merely alternative ways of saying "dreamed" "and "leaped".

"Dreamt", "leapt" (and "spelt") are British English variants of "dreamed", "leaped" and "spelled". They are different words.
0 Replies

anastasia

Reply Thu 29 May, 2008 04:09 pm
contrex wrote:
Anastasia, that table answers gingko's question nicely.

thanks - it's an awesome book. also available on interwebs everywhere.

or at pearson education
10 bank street
white plains, ny 10606

on the note of dreamed/dreamt - i was an anglophile for so long, i get confused on these kinds of questions. i generally say "dreamt" when speaking, but i write it "dreamed" ... i also spell "gray" as "grey" and "theater" as "theatre", but only sometimes anymore. when teaching students (in hungary) - i usually teach them whichever language they want to learn - either british english or american english.

in my private life, i bastardize language in the name of being a writer. (someday)

i don't think i've ever seen this section of a2k - i left the forum shortly after it started. (i was an abuzz refugee) i'm excited to see it. should be fun.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 29 May, 2008 08:34 pm
Mame wrote:

dreamed or dreamt

leaped or leapt

etc.

I think while you would be correct to say it's "clapped" with the "d" sound present, we often slur (for want of a better word) our words, so it winds up sounding like a "t", as in "clapt".

It's all so imprecise.

And, of course, it's regional.

Actually, Mame, the use of language is very precise. People follow the rules of language, including those of pronunciation punctiliously. It's easy for us to detect "strange" pronunciation, isn't it? That's because we are so attuned to the rules.

A 't' sound is the natural ending sound for clapped. Note the table Anastasia posted.
0 Replies