How should I interpret this quote?

miazhou

Reply Wed 21 May, 2008 04:06 pm
Hello, I came across this quote by(?from?) Mark Twain, and don't know if I interpreted it correctly.

'There are lies, damn lies, and statistics.'

I understand that it is indicating that statistics could be deceiving, but what
does 'damn lies' mean here? Are 'lies', 'damn lies', 'statistics' sorted in a sequence of increasing disguise? Or 'damn lies' is just a repetition/reemphasis of 'lies'?

Thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,157 • Replies: 10
No top replies

TTH

Reply Wed 21 May, 2008 04:15 pm
research Benjamin Disraeli
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 21 May, 2008 04:25 pm
Re: How should I interpret this quote?
miazhou wrote:
Hello, I came across this quote by(?from?) Mark Twain, and don't know if I interpreted it correctly.

'There are lies, damn lies, and statistics.'

I understand that it is indicating that statistics could be deceiving, but what
does 'damn lies' mean here? Are 'lies', 'damn lies', 'statistics' sorted in a sequence of increasing disguise? Or 'damn lies' is just a repetition/reemphasis of 'lies'?

Thank you.

It's kind of a joke....but with a serious intent.

Twain is commenting on how people tend to use statistics to bolster their point of view, but often the statistics they use are highly questionable....or perhaps just made up, or have been made to appear to support a position when a better analysis would suggest that they do not.

The use of "lies, damn lies" is setting up the slightly shocking (and therefore funny) use of statistics at the end....normally we do not view statistics as "lies".

So...there are ordinary lies, really big lies, and statistics, which Twain implies are the biggest lies. (Or "whoppers" as we might say!)
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 21 May, 2008 05:52 pm
As an American I agree with dlowan said, but, there's a subtle meaning that hard to explain.

While Missouri, where Twain grew up is technically the Midwest, there's a lot of Southern-ism going on there.

I have a male friend from Louisianna who got upset when I jokingly called him a fool. The way he grew up, calling someone a fool was one of the worst things you could call someone in polite company.

Southerners, as a rule, like to throw the word damn around, a lot. This same friend has a small son (Mason Lee, how much more Southern can you get?) who's a little over 3. Daddy came home one day and ML immediately informed him that "the dog broke his damn leg" The kid loves the dog, but that damn leg.....

In a heated argument, telling someone "that's a lie" would be bad enough, but saying "now that's a damn lie"....really means business.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 22 May, 2008 04:54 am
A "lie" is an untruth. A "damn lie" is an outrageous untruth-- an out and out mind-boggling attempt at deception.
0 Replies

miazhou

Reply Thu 22 May, 2008 04:58 pm
Thanks guys. I think now I understand.

I was confused because somehow I felt there must be a trait of some kind that its intensity ascends from 'lies' to 'damn lies' to 'statistics'. Maybe dlowan is right, statistics could actually be the worst Smile

Thanks Chai for explaining the subtleties, they are helpful.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 22 May, 2008 07:50 pm
where are you from miazhou?
0 Replies

miazhou

Reply Fri 23 May, 2008 01:25 pm
I'm originally from China, but I've been living in California for several years.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 25 May, 2008 04:20 am
Some points:

(1)
Samuel Langhorne Clemens, better known by the pen name Mark Twain, popularized the saying in "Chapters from My Autobiography," published in the North American Review, No. DCXVIII., July 5, 1907. He attributed the phrase to Benjamin Disraeli, (1804-1881, twice Prime Minister of Great Britain), although it is not certain that Disraeli was the author.

(2)

Clemens actually wrote "damned lies", not "damn lies".

In an era of strong religious belief, the word "damned" conveyed a powerful intensification upon a following adjective.
0 Replies

miazhou

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 12:10 am
Thanks, contrex.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 12:46 am
Alot of times in American speech "Damn" will precede "Lie", "lies" or "lier" when the speaker is adding emphasis or anger when he/she is making an impassioned testament to a lie.

For example;

"Thats a damn lie!" or "She a damn lier!"

as opposed to "thats a lie." or "she's a lier" which does not seem to have the same contempt or conviction of the speaker. The two (damn and lie) are often seen together. If you were familiar with this common usage what Twain is saying it would make perfect sense.

Statistics based on facts and findings can however be used in as contemptible a manner as a lie for ones own dishonest purposes and because of that worse then a "damn lie".
0 Replies