Well, I have a job... or two

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 21 May, 2008 07:26 am
If you felt anything like I did when you got home, I dont see how you could walk in then trot to an interview Laughing

Yay and congratulations and all that good stuff Smile
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Wed 21 May, 2008 07:33 am
Oh good for you Mame - that's is the best news. So glad that the right job turned up - big woooohoooo from the UK for you .... and... another thread, photos and wall hanging a?

Now... "Repulse" sounds a little dodgy... but Pelly Bay - that sounds kinda nice!

Well done girl. So pleased for you Smile
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 21 May, 2008 08:38 am
Hey Izzie - I'm coming to England this Fall! I think in September. My family live in the Somerset area, so we'll have to plan something Smile

Soz - yes, that is the wine tour guy Smile But I'm not attracted to him anymore so it's all good.

I have to practice up my Powerpoint - it's been a while since I did anything in an office and I know they're expecting big things. I'll do a little homework on their websites while I'm in Calgary - I leave today at 3:00 p.m. Smile
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 21 May, 2008 09:23 am
Mame
Mame really fooled those innocent men, didn't she?

Mame will have to study up a bit to learn how to write about her experiences if she wants us to read about them.

Such good news for my favorite adventurer of all time.

Love to Mame!

BBB
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 21 May, 2008 09:32 am
<Looking forward to the Bug Thread, and more>
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Wed 21 May, 2008 09:46 am
Mame wrote:
Hey Izzie - I'm coming to England this Fall! I think in September. My family live in the Somerset area, so we'll have to plan something Smile

HA - AT LAST SHE COMES HERE.....

COOOOOOOOOOL. Yep gal, you'll be just up the road. Welcome to stay at the old ChezIzzie.... oh but by heck I better have moved to the new house by then Rolling Eyes Tulip and I will show you the sights..... and give you some boots to go walk on the moors a? Fab.

OH - I do not cook. Sorry Very Happy Tulip's a good veggie cook so no worries. We'll be right. :wink:
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 21 May, 2008 09:53 am
Lizzie
Lucky Lizzie, you get to meet the beautiful and funny Mame.

BBB
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 21 May, 2008 10:14 am
Awww, thanks, BBB! (Hugs!)

Izzie, we'll definitely have to plan something and I don't really care about the food - veggie is fine with me - meat is way over-rated Smile But I'm also happy to stay in a B&B - I've never had a bad experience in one (okay, there was one, but that's another story)...

Will let you know more as time progresses - first I have to GET to camp Smile It's going to be really buggy for sure (ugh) but apparently it's windy so that's good (blows the bugs around). Both my mother and one sister have been through Pelly Bay and say it's a cute little community, not that I'll be in the town, but if they liked it, I'm sure I will.

My mother lived in the North for 18 years (Yellowknife - she was the Deputy Minister equivalent for the Secretariat for Women), and three of my sisters lived up there, as well. After some years in YK, one moved to Baker Lake, Iqaluit, and Fort Smith - I think they spent 12 yrs up there. Apparently the family likes the cold climes.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 21 May, 2008 10:16 am
So what kind of camp is this?
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 21 May, 2008 10:40 am
This is another exploration/drilling camp - but it's diamonds this time. I think it will be 6 - 8 weeks, at least. July and August. And I can do some office work from there, too (for which I'll be charging over and above the cooking rate). And I believe it'll be a fly-in camp, so food will be coming by air. That's always a bit risky but challenging Smile You never know what you're getting!
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 21 May, 2008 11:26 am
Well, if you add the bugs, I suppose it's extra protein.

Seriously, congrats! I'm sure you'll have a blast. Smile
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 21 May, 2008 11:36 am
I worked off Baffin a number of years ago and we were looking for sulfides and then buttoning them up to sit on as the price rose. I suspect you may be looking at some of the thousands of claims already sited. Tell me if they use the word "Uvarovite" Lots of char up there and they fry up real good. The only problem is that daylight can go on forever youll go nuts.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 21 May, 2008 11:38 am
I'm taking a blindfold Smile Actually, the tents have flaps, so it'll be dark but a bit stuffy.

Bug pie or bug omelet - hmmm, a thought. Nasty critters.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 21 May, 2008 11:50 am
DrewDad wrote:
So what kind of camp is this?

A polygamists compound
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Wed 21 May, 2008 12:16 pm
Mame wrote:
Hey - don't you guys get it - it's FUN!! It's an adventure Very Happy Sort of like having Roger or Thomas navigate for you... ha ha ha

I'm soooooo looking forward to the two jobs - challenges, both, for different reasons.

You'll be using different parts of your brain and body for each job. Congratulations-- cooking is so-o in the moment and a completetly different kind of work than a desk job.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 11:53 am
Well, this is day 3 at the office and the websites are well underway to recovery. I researched mining in Manitoba where two of our projects are and discovered a lot that I didn't know, of course. Then I read about the whole exploration process. I summarized the company's entire project list, from history to current, and have a list of questions for C. I've learned a lot about massive and disseminated sulphide deposits. I've learned about the VTEM system.

Then I redid the powerpoints for both companies, plus their fact sheets (really out of date). There's not a whole lot else to do, so I was thinking this morning, "What in the world will I do for 6 weeks??"

Then, funnily enough, I got an email from a VP-Ex asking if I was available at the end of next week for 4 - 6 weeks for a geophysical program where I previously was. I phoned the fellow and we had a good chat. Their cook MAY not be available and he's finding a back up... so I said, Sure, but I have another job in July in the Arctic so I need to be back by then...

I'll know by the end of the week what's happening.

Whoo hoo!
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 11:56 am
Whoo hoo to you too Very Happy
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 12:23 pm
Wow!
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 30 May, 2008 01:14 pm
Bummer. That company sorted out their cook situation so I guess I'll be staying in town. That's okay, though. I'm making almost as much as I would in camp and I can hang out with buddies here... and maybe learn something at work.

Shee-it, though.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2008 02:17 pm
Well, I'm not doing the mat. leave now. None of those companies have any money Smile That's the way it goes in junior companies, and this year's worse than most.

I'll just be doing a few hours here and there.

Now, how to occupy myself?
0 Replies