Kids that rattle cages & their permissive parents

onyxelle

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 12:57 pm
cjhsa wrote:

My son is a gaming master and knows all the cheat codes. If I ever start to beat him at anything, he'll key in some cheat and the next thing I know I'm dead. I can't prove he does it but the end is always the same. I just don't play game with him anymore.

this is me laughing at the thought of you getting your virtual bootie kicked lol.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 01:00 pm
April 15th, 2002 marked the 10th anniversary of Pasado's death
http://www.pasadosafehaven.org/PASADOSTORY/Pasado_story.htm
The people here in Washington were outraged and made changes when the cruelty to this animal happened.

A new law was signed.
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=16.52

and if memory serves me right it was this specific law
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=16.52&full=true#16.52.207
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 01:06 pm
mismi
No parent is perfect, you just do the best you can in teaching kids respect of others, including animals. There should be more parents like you out there in society.
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 01:17 pm
i am perfect in every way
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 01:19 pm
onyxelle wrote:
i am perfect in every way
Good to hear. Need more parents like yourself out there too.
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 01:23 pm
Smile
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 01:32 pm
onyxelle wrote:
i have to force myself not to say anything. I am not very tactful.

I usually end up glaring at the child and the parent. Adding even a bit of sassy eyeroll when it's called for.

it's not like the parent is EVER unaware of the behavior i'm referring to either. Because they usually put a halt to it. But still, it would be easier for everyone if people taugh manners more regularly.

Oh - they are almost always aware of it. However, if you take this tone (even if they deserve a good tongue lashing), usually you get an "oh, I'm sorry, is he bothering you?" Like they didn't know.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 01:34 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
I'm not opposed to speaking to children who aren't behaving well in public -- even if their parents are near. I consider myself doing them a favor.

Now, my kids (well, my daughter mostly) have been known to behave badly in public, I won't lie about that. But they don't get away with it from me. I guess that's part of the process. And never, ever, would they get away with treating an animal so badly. I would have said something to them. I have at times been appreciative of the stranger that scolded my daughter when she was doing something she shouldn't have and my attention was elsewhere. It sometimes can be more effective coming from a non-parent.

It does - it scares the h*ll out of them when another adult lets them have it. At least my kids.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 01:40 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
\. I have at times been appreciative of the stranger that scolded my daughter when she was doing something she shouldn't have and my attention was elsewhere. It sometimes can be more effective coming from a non-parent.

I totally agree FreeDuck...it just underlines what you are trying to do...gives it weight. I thank them.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 01:43 pm
One thing I will do is when I am at an event or function and there are children that are having fun being kids, but not bothering anyone, I go and tell the parents how well behaved their children are.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 02:10 pm
Also very effective... especially if you do it where the kids can hear you.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 02:49 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
Also very effective... especially if you do it where the kids can hear you.

That is very true - my kids beam when another adult tells them this. It is also very effective when your kids start being little monsters - you tell them remember when that lady said how well behaved you were. Either that or you threaten your child with a good old fashioned beating. (kidding of course - usually the threatening of removing them from where ever you are works - and if it doesn't then you remove them) 5 minutes later after the embarassment of them having to leave and they are as good as ever.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 09:17 pm
mismi wrote:
Wait until they are finished unless it is something very important. It could be used as a teaching point as well...though wiping a behind for the 4 year old could be considered important I suppose.

Laughing okay, I hafta ask... talking about video games and behind-wiping -- were you making a really subtle reference to that movie "King of Kong," or was it just a funny coincidence?
0 Replies