Kids that rattle cages & their permissive parents

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 11:37 am
really piss me off.

Saturday dh, the girls and I were all at a semi-local park where they have beautiful gardens, an amusement area, a water park and a small assortment of animals for viewing, in habitats.

They have a black jaquar. She is so beaitufl and she was sleeping. Along came this loud @$$ kids (there were four ranging in age from about 2.5 yrs old to about 12). These hooligans started rattling the cage and yelling for the cat to wake up and making the loudest and stupidest 'meow' sounds you can imagine.

Even my 7 year old asked me what was wrong with them. We spent the whole time trying to avoid being near a habitat they were at.

They really pissed me off, and their parents more so for standing right there and letting them behave that way. Evil or Very Mad
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,073 • Replies: 32
No top replies

TTH

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 11:41 am
That is a shame and I have seen the very same thing. When there is a habitat for the wild animals they should not be teased or glass knocked on either. I always just watch and will only talk to the animal if they are interested and come over.

I don't know what dh is?
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 11:42 am
sorry, i'm a scrapbooker. "dh" is scrapbook lingo for 'dear husband'
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 11:43 am
Chimps running the zoo.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 11:45 am
onyxelle wrote:
sorry, i'm a scrapbooker. "dh" is scrapbook lingo for 'dear husband'
Thank You Very Happy
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 11:55 am
cjhsa wrote:
Chimps running the zoo.
for sure.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 12:02 pm
If you find time read this article:
http://conservationandbehavior.gatech.edu/ivan/

It is about Ivan the gorilla who was kept in a tiny concrete enclosure behind glass for years. I use to visit him regularly. It was so sad to see him being kept inside a store.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 12:07 pm
I have noticed this too Onyxelle - movie theaters are my pet peeve. There is a time and a place for kids to sit still...even if it is at a theater for a kids flick - I expect mine to sit down and ask me only what they need to in a whisper. No getting up and getting down and flipping the seat and loud whispering. Now don't get me wrong...if it is a children's movie I expect the little ones to get restless and wiggly - but I am talking about the parents who don't seem one bit interested in teaching their kids to sit still and be quiet but seem to think it is okay for them to never have self control and sit.

Teaching kids common courtesy is huge in my book. It makes for nicer adults if you ask me.
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 12:10 pm
i absolutely agree with you.

Although...I STILL have to tell mr. to whisper when we're at the movie. I have to tell him that it doesn't matter if the next person is 3 rows away. it's just good manners.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 12:18 pm
Socializing kids is a huge job.

Lot's of parents seem to think, though, that kids will just grow into manners or something.

Me, I say start like you want to go on.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 12:24 pm
onyxelle wrote:

Although...I STILL have to tell mr. to whisper when we're at the movie. I have to tell him that it doesn't matter if the next person is 3 rows away. it's just good manners.
We should switch dh then because mine rarely speaks to me Laughing

mismi
You make a good mother Very Happy
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 12:29 pm
It seems to me that the jaguars would be fully capable of sticking up for themselves... if they just let them.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 12:32 pm
I remember going to this zoo once and these trouble makers stuck in a long stick at a wolf, to try to gets its attention. He did - the wolf, snarled and tried to take a swipe at him - too bad the cage was made in such a way to protect idiots. I don't propone having even an idiot killed by an attack, but just enough space to get a good little bite or scratch could teach them a lesson. However, I'd rather have it happen to the idiot parents as the children know only as much as the parent teaches. I've also seen a kid get a good peck from some sort of bird at another zoo. Nice - just enough to scare the children without really hurting him - teaches the parent to parent the child too.

I've told kids to stop kicking the chair or to keep it down even those with parents. I usually say it nicely, like, please stop kicking the chair or please be quiet, I can't hear the movie. Most kids actually listen when you ask them nicely.
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 12:36 pm
i have to force myself not to say anything. I am not very tactful.

I usually end up glaring at the child and the parent. Adding even a bit of sassy eyeroll when it's called for.

it's not like the parent is EVER unaware of the behavior i'm referring to either. Because they usually put a halt to it. But still, it would be easier for everyone if people taugh manners more regularly.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 12:43 pm
The worst thing at the SF Zoo for most folks isn't escaped tigers (though that is obviously bad!), it's the damn seagulls at the food court. They will literally steal food out kids hands. One of them bloodied my daughter over a hot dog. I was going to kill the stupid bird but thought I might upset the local f-tards.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 12:45 pm
I'm not opposed to speaking to children who aren't behaving well in public -- even if their parents are near. I consider myself doing them a favor.

Now, my kids (well, my daughter mostly) have been known to behave badly in public, I won't lie about that. But they don't get away with it from me. I guess that's part of the process. And never, ever, would they get away with treating an animal so badly. I would have said something to them. I have at times been appreciative of the stranger that scolded my daughter when she was doing something she shouldn't have and my attention was elsewhere. It sometimes can be more effective coming from a non-parent.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 12:48 pm
I think kids emulate their parents as well. This do as I say not as I do - doesn't always go over real well. I have noticed my own children react just the way I do...and I taught them that. Not trying to...it just happened because I wasn't smart enough to realize that a 5 year old understood the difference between telling him to behave one way and expecting it of him...when I didn't expect it of myself.

One I am HORRIBLY guilty of...when I am playing a game with them (Playstation 2 especially) and they keep asking me questions and I mess up - I say things like - "You just made me mess up". I hate that. They do that now...and it is truly annoying - it is like seeing a replay of myself at a childish moment played over and over again. I am pretty sure I would have messed up anyway...I hate that I did that...so stinkin' competetive - I want to do the best and spout when I don't - talk about needing self-control.

But then - there is another side to that as well...it just goes to being considerate of others...try not to interrupt when someone is in the middle of something. Wait until they are finished unless it is something very important. It could be used as a teaching point as well...though wiping a behind for the 4 year old could be considered important I suppose.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 12:50 pm
TTH wrote:
onyxelle wrote:

mismi

That's sweet - thanks TTH...though you might not think so after my last post!
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 12:50 pm
TTH wrote:
onyxelle wrote:

mismi

That's sweet - thanks TTH...though you might not think so after my last post!
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 12:53 pm
mismi wrote:

One I am HORRIBLY guilty of...when I am playing a game with them (Playstation 2 especially) and they keep asking me questions and I mess up - I say things like - "You just made me mess up". I hate that. They do that now...and it is truly annoying - it is like seeing a replay of myself at a childish moment played over and over again. I am pretty sure I would have messed up anyway...I hate that I did that...so stinkin' competetive - I want to do the best and spout when I don't - talk about needing self-control.

My son is a gaming master and knows all the cheat codes. If I ever start to beat him at anything, he'll key in some cheat and the next thing I know I'm dead. I can't prove he does it but the end is always the same. I just don't play game with him anymore.
0 Replies