Teddy Kennedy in Hospital with "Stroke Like" Symptoms

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 10:56 am
Quote:
Hyannis Fire Lt. Bill Rex told The Associated Press that a 911 call came in from the Kennedy family compound at 8:19 a.m. A man was transported to Cape Cod Hospital and transferred by air at 10:10 a.m. from Barnstable Municipal Airport to Massachusetts General Hospital.

Kennedy, 76, has been in the Senate since election in 1962, filling out the term won by his brother, John F. Kennedy.

In October, Kennedy had surgery to repair a nearly complete blockage in a major neck artery. The discovery was made during a routine examination of a decades-old back injury.

Link to Story
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,063 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 11:58 am
Likewise, I just noticed that there's a similar article in todays Online NY Times, but curiously not in the online version of Boston Globe, yet.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 12:02 pm
Ragman wrote:
Likewise, I just noticed that there's a similar article in todays Online NY Times, but curiously not in the online version of Boston Globe, yet.

It's on the front page of Boston.com

Local news station (Channel 5 anyway) here is reporting that he had a near complete blockage in an artery in his neck and that he underwent surgery to clear it.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 12:09 pm
I might be blind but my online boston.com does NOT have anything on teddy. Might that be due to a Kennedy blocking software filter?

Also, help me clarify this, OK? The operation for blockage that was cleared...might that have been the carotid operation done in October? Or was there another operation just done?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 12:19 pm
http://www.boston.com/news/local/breaking_news/2008/05/ted_kennedy_sai.html

Several of the stories mention that he had surgery back in October. The local station just had a news blurb a few minutes ago and said that they did something to adjust (?) a stent in his neck when he got to Mass General Hosp. and that his condition right now is "resting comfortably".
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 12:32 pm

http://www.capecodonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080517/NEWS/80517001

Having been just treated for a neck artery blockage doesn't bode well. Will be keeping a close eye on this.....
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 01:08 pm
littlek- Round these parts, it is a relatively common operation. Most people do well afterwards. Problem is, if the person can't get their cholesterol under control, the plaque builds up, and the problem can happen again.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 01:19 pm
fishin wrote:
http://www.boston.com/news/local/breaking_news/2008/05/ted_kennedy_sai.html

Several of the stories mention that he had surgery back in October. The local station just had a news blurb a few minutes ago and said that they did something to adjust (?) a stent in his neck when he got to Mass General Hosp. and that his condition right now is "resting comfortably".

Thanks for that link and the info. Jeez, in retrospect, I hope that my comment about my computer might have a Kennedy software filter was not misconstrued. On the whole, I like the Kennedys and Teddy in particular - I just don't enjoy reading about scandals and tragic losses.

My thoughts and best wishes go out to his family for his quick recovery. His leadership and hard-fought efforts have greatly benefitted the Commonwealth of Mass. over the decades he's been in office.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 04:36 pm
If it's anything like stenting around the heart, there is a period of elevated risk for some time after the operation.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 04:42 pm
I hadn't heard that he was conscious. Not nearly as concerned now.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 05:23 pm
Quote:
In October, Kennedy had surgery to repair a nearly complete blockage in a major neck artery. The discovery was made during a routine examination of a decades-old back injury.

Listen up, all you guys and gals "of a certain age". Very often, these blockages are found when the docs are looking for something else.

Mr. P's cousin thought he was very healthy. His daughter is a doctor, and insisted that he get a checkup. They found an artery that was totally blocked, and some others that had different levels of blockage. The long and short of it was that he was one inch away from a massive coronary or stroke. He had a quadruple bypass, and now, years later, is fit as a fiddle.

One very good and easy test is a doppler ultrasound of the carotid artery. It is painless, and gives a lot of information about the state of one's arteries.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 20 May, 2008 12:59 pm
Boston Globe online link:

http://www.boston.com/news/local/breaking_news/2008/05/kennedy_has_mal.html

. . .

"One expert, Dr. Joseph Madsen, a neurosurgeon at Children's Hospital Boston, said the diagnosis was "very sad news."

"High-grade glio-malignancies" such as Sen. Kennedy has "are unfortunately the most common kind of brain tumor in this age group, and they have a poor prognosis for long-term survival," he said.

They can also be very debilitating during treatment, Madsen said, and Kennedy's tumor is in an area where it may well eventually affect his speech."
0 Replies