I mean really!?

Reply Fri 16 May, 2008 06:43 am
A seven-year-old boy is taken from his parents, has his stomach pumped and is placed in care, because his dad mistook something called Mike's Hard Lemonade for a soft drink and gave it to him. I can understand the mistake, for I could easily have made the same mistake (Apparently, the professor asked for a lemonade. Is it even written on the label that the above drink icontains alcohol? I have never heard of the brand.). I cannot understand the reasoning of the other people involved.

The story

The bottle:
http://www.hellodaly.com/uploaded_images/Mikes_Hard_Lemonade-707115.JPG
The sign at the ball park didn't even say "hard" lemonade. The image link didn't work.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,636 • Replies: 17
No top replies

fishin

Reply Fri 16 May, 2008 07:02 am
There is a notice on the bottle that it contains alcohol.

It appears to be a case of over-reaction on the part of the police to me. It wouldn't be the first time a parent knowingly gave their kid alcohol though...
0 Replies

Paaskynen

Reply Fri 16 May, 2008 07:05 am
But which parent would knowingly give their child an alcoholic beverage in a ball park full of people and security guards?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 16 May, 2008 07:08 am
Hundreds of them do it every single day. It's not like it is a strange occurance. (usually the kids are older though...)
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 16 May, 2008 07:12 am
fishin wrote:
Hundreds of them do it every single day. It's not like it is a strange occurance. (usually the kids are older though...)

True.

However, I would like to know how well the parent could read. I've been a literacy volunteer long enough to know that many adults have trouble reading simple, every day words. I had a woman who bought two large containers of Crisco thinking they were filled with fried chicken because of the picture. Perhaps this man could not read the word "alcohol".
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 16 May, 2008 07:15 am
Well... according to the article the parent in this case is a classical archaeology professor at the University of Michigan.

I'd assume he's at least semi-literate. Laughing
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 16 May, 2008 07:46 am
I don't see where it says the boy had his stomach pumped Confused

It does say he was taken to the hospital because he was feeling slightly nauseous.

I guess I would too if my dad was taken into custody while having a fun outing with him.

IMO, I can totally believe the father didn't know there was alcohol in the Lemonade.

I mean, marketing people design the bottles to appeal to young drinkers who are barely past the regular lemonade stage.

I wonder how many people, if you walked up to them and said "What's hard cider" wouldn't know that meant it had alcohol in it? It doesn't exactly jump out at me.

Guys standing in a long crowded line, kid wants lemonade, that's the word the guy sees, and buys it.

I don't pay attention to 95% of beverage choices out there, alcoholic or not. I have the vague feeling there's about 8,000 energy drinks, or whatever you call them, available, but the only one I can recall the name of is red bull. In fact, for the longest time, I thought red bull had alcohol in it. That's what I got out of half watched commercials with people drinking the stuff and floating off.

If my kid wanted something that said the words raspberry and tea on it while at a ball park, I don't think it would occur to me to examine the bottle to look for the words alcohol.

Here's a picture of the bottle. It says Mikes Hard Lemonad, premium malt beverage with natural flavors.

Do I know that malt beverage means alchohol? Yes, I do...but, I also love chocolate malts, and malt whoppers.

On that day, in trying to get to their seats, standing in line, loud noise, did the father glance and think "lemon and malt? Yuck. These kids will drink anything"

Or did he just see the word lemonade?

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2183/1640413852_37ab9edd95.jpg
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 16 May, 2008 10:08 am
I think the mistake is understandable. When just glancing at the bottom, it really doesn't look at different than any other bottled lemonaid and prices for anything at the ballpark are so expensive price wise how would you know.

Some one has some sort of large bottle in the fridge at work - each time I go in, I do a double take - it looks like a bottle of wine - but in it is actually some high priced juice drink.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Fri 16 May, 2008 10:14 am
This stuff is nasty. I'm surprised the kid drank more than a sip.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 16 May, 2008 10:40 am
Linkat wrote:
I think the mistake is understandable. When just glancing at the bottom, it really doesn't look at different than any other bottled lemonaid and prices for anything at the ballpark are so expensive price wise how would you know.

Some one has some sort of large bottle in the fridge at work - each time I go in, I do a double take - it looks like a bottle of wine - but in it is actually some high priced juice drink.

HA!

I do the same thing with a bottle of balsamic vinegar in my fridge at home.
0 Replies

mushypancakes

Reply Mon 26 May, 2008 05:30 pm
mac11 wrote:
This stuff is nasty. I'm surprised the kid drank more than a sip.

lol. My thoughts exactly.

The kid must have been used to drinking booze before this lemonade incident.
0 Replies

VaneEnglish

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2008 12:10 pm
i dont see in the label how it says that contains alcohol??
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2008 09:39 am
Re: I mean really!?
Paaskynen wrote:
A seven-year-old boy is taken from his parents, has his stomach pumped and is placed in care, because his dad mistook something called Mike's Hard Lemonade for a soft drink and gave it to him. I can understand the mistake, for I could easily have made the same mistake (Apparently, the professor asked for a lemonade. Is it even written on the label that the above drink icontains alcohol? I have never heard of the brand.). I cannot understand the reasoning of the other people involved.

The story

The bottle:
http://www.hellodaly.com/uploaded_images/Mikes_Hard_Lemonade-707115.JPG
The sign at the ball park didn't even say "hard" lemonade. The image link didn't work.

I remember drinking beer from the age of 3 on up,
especially after I went to Arizona, in hot weather.
I never liked the taste; to this day, its unpleasant; however, too ofen
it was the least offensive of available drinks. It was never a big deal.

David
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2008 09:41 am
fishin wrote:
Well... according to the article the parent in this case is a classical archaeology professor at the University of Michigan.

I'd assume he's at least semi-literate. Laughing

You've never worked at a university, i take it . . .
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2008 09:52 am
fishin wrote:
There is a notice on the bottle that it contains alcohol.

It appears to be a case of over-reaction on the part of the police to me.
It wouldn't be the first time a parent knowingly gave their kid alcohol though...

The problem is that the police r fearless of legal retribution
in the performance of their work.

We 'd have a better system of government in America, if in such a case as this,
the police were concurrently on trial,
civilly and criminally for their actions, so that if a jury decided that
it was an abuse of power, to kidnap a kid because his dad gave him
alcohol, the police officer wud be fined, imprisoned and held liable in tort
to the kid whom he napped and to his parents.

That 'd inspire him to restrain his enthusiasm; remember: THESE GUYS WORK FOR US !

We shud be safe from our own government.
We created the damned thing, and we nourish it with our taxes.

David
Paaskynen

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2015 01:28 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Hi OmSigDavid,

In the past I would have considered your remarks about the police in the USA as exaggerated, but news coverage today overseas appears to prove you right. We are presented the image that the ongoing militarisation of the police in the US, both by hiring veterans and by acquiring military weapons and gear, is posing an obstacle to understanding between the public and those who are sworn to protect and serve the public.
roger

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2015 03:10 pm
@Paaskynen,
Holy Bat Droppings, Paaskynen! You finally remembered us after all these years. Welcome back.
0 Replies

wendy69

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2015 05:29 pm
@Paaskynen,
Crazy story. But I actually think that it is possible that he had mistaken it for non-alcoholic beverage. At a quick look, it looks the same to me.
0 Replies