We'll see Lasagna

Fri 5 Sep, 2003 09:01 pm
So, I am making lasagna with Marcella Hazan's bolognese sauce and bionaturae packed lasagna strips and pollyO whole milk ricotta and pollyO whole milk mozzarella. Partly cause I don't have milk to do a bechamel with the bolognese, which would yield a different lasagna than this one with all the cheese. Oh, yeah, some p. reggiano is scattered on top of the last layer of bolognese.

I like both spicy lasagna and the opposite, almost clinically delicate lasagna with homemade pasta, which is a tad time consuming. I have this leftover bolognese since I always make a big batch when I do it. If I end up liking it, I'll post the recipe. Stay tuned....

Signed, she who is always tempted to add garlic and chiles....
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,051 • Replies: 12
Topic Closed
No top replies

Rae

Fri 5 Sep, 2003 09:04 pm
Garlic and chiles.....I feel a 'bonding' moment coming on.
0 Replies

petunia555555

Fri 5 Sep, 2003 09:08 pm
never too much garlic...i always add garlic and onions...and a few chilis

Laughing

btw, your lasagne sounds wonderful!!!!!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Fri 5 Sep, 2003 11:13 pm
Well, one of the best lasagnas I ever tasted was in a small place in Chianti where it was made with fresh pasta and a very small bit of meat sauce and a bechamel. It was to die for, but not spicey. Hazan's bolognese is made over several hours with a bit of onion carrot in olive oil to start and then meat and then wine cooked down and then milk cooked down and then tomatoes (not as many as you might expect) and then the whole thing is simmered slow and low for many hours, five being good and six better. The resultant sauce is rich, but not...spicy. And bechamel goes with that. I cheat sometimes and throw in a couple of garlic cloves in the beginning sizzle.

But, you see, that elegant recipe is sans cheese...except (I forget) maybe some parmigiano on at the end.

But the one I am doing tonight has cheese and no white sauce. And cheese makes me think...chiles, or at least paprika. No, chili pepper, and once I get going...

so this is an experiment, sans chile. There was some garlic in the bolognese.

Well, it's out now, cooling a bit.
Ahem, gotta go now.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Sat 6 Sep, 2003 12:17 am
All right, it was good, better than much usual lasagna, but not fantastic. Needed more sauce, in this case at least some bechamel, as tomato sauce is not the thing in this particular lasagna.

Sigh, I just used the last of my bolognese. Back another day...
0 Replies

Montana

Sat 6 Sep, 2003 12:23 am
This is not a good thread for a girl on a diet! Grrrrr!!!!

Only kidding. It sounds wonderful ;-)
0 Replies

kev

Sun 14 Sep, 2003 01:08 pm
Ah yes lasagna, that great traditional British dish. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3067455.stm
0 Replies

ossobuco

Sun 14 Sep, 2003 01:29 pm
Oh, I liked that link, kev - I hadn't heard the outcome of the Parma bruhaha. Having been to Parma one spring not so long ago, and tasted some of their fine culatello di zibello ham, etc., it has driven me nuts to see Parma bandied about on packages. Other places make fine cheese, of course, but distinct products like parmigiano cheese should be able to maintain their names of long history, in my humble opinion.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Sun 14 Sep, 2003 01:33 pm
But this reminds me, one of these days I want to try Hazan's bolognese sauce with a bechamel type lasagne. I usually serve it with fettucine, or tagliatelle, as she does, not such a labor intensive project.
0 Replies

kev

Sun 14 Sep, 2003 01:55 pm
ossobuco, forgive my ignorance, but who is Hazan?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Sun 14 Sep, 2003 01:59 pm
Sorry about that, Marcella Hazan is an italian cook who has written some classic italian cookbooks in English. Back in a few minutes with some titles,
0 Replies

ossobuco

Sun 14 Sep, 2003 02:06 pm
http://www.salon.com/books/feature/1999/12/27/warped/

(By the way, do you know A2K has an amazon.com link that benefits a2k slightly when people order through the link? Not that you are going to rush right out and order the Hazan book, but just for your info.)
0 Replies

margo

Sun 14 Sep, 2003 02:14 pm
Hmmmmm, Osso

I feel the need for a good lasagna coming on!

Perhaps for next weekend's house guests Rolling Eyes
0 Replies