Reply Thu 15 May, 2008 09:24 am
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 963 • Replies: 9
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 15 May, 2008 10:15 am
It seems to me that people with asthma would be on the front lines of wanting to not deplete the ozone layer.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 16 May, 2008 08:29 am
I'm not sure why you make that correlation.

I have both types. The old style CFC works much better.

Note: I don't have asthma (have been tested quite thoroughly), but I do have allergies that can do a great immitation.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Fri 16 May, 2008 08:48 am
My insurance carrier has been warning of the switch for a while, but I'm still getting the CFC inhalers. And yes, I'm hoarding them.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 16 May, 2008 09:18 am
Quote:
I'm not sure why you make that correlation.

I'm not a scientist so I could be wrong but it seems like a connect the dots sort of thing:

CFCs deplete the ozone.
Depleted ozone allows more UV radiation to reach the Earth.
UV raditation creates ground level ozone.
Ground level ozone has a negative effect on lung function.

Doesn't that make sense?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 16 May, 2008 09:22 am
Yep.

Still, I don't think even a billion inhalers will make one bit of difference in the upper atmosphere ozone.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 16 May, 2008 09:33 am
I'm glad I was not the one having to make the policies regarding the ban because I really miss my old CFC propelled allergy meds.

I guess enough people who do know thought that it was a big enough problem to do something about it.

Kinda sucky but so it goes.
0 Replies

susanc47

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2008 04:20 pm
CFC/HFA inhalers
Please help us save CFC inhalers. The info page explains all of the facts on why this does not have to happen.
Thank You for your help.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/saveCFCinhalers/
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2008 04:40 pm
CFC's have been switched over in large users like compressors and air conditioning equipment. Meterd dose inhalers are the last to go just because people want time to try other techniques.
For once I can sympathize with ceej, since CFC's are such a minor CFC source, why not just let them stay on the market. Hell, car air conditioners were the worst source by far. I dont know what the percentage use was , but Ill bet AC units accounted for >95% of the CFC product.

Im not sure that HFA's are any better. The molecule is a bit lighter and its semi conservative so itll still retain its unit character in the atmosphere. Why not switch all AC units back to Ammonia Smile
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2008 07:21 am
Great. I use Maxair Autohaler now because the other inhalers (abuterol) make me shake so bad I can't even function. And this one already costs me $25.

I hope they make a new HFA inhaler using pirbuterol or I am in trouble.
0 Replies