McCain's vision of Iraq by 2013

nimh

Reply Thu 15 May, 2008 08:17 am
McCain holds a speech today, and it's headlined "McCain Hopes Majority Of US Troops Are Out Of Iraq By 2013".

In this excerpt, "the speech appears to be a sketch of the hopeful, much-improved condition of the United States as seen from 2013, when McCain begins his second term" (via Ambinder).

So, what I want to do today is take a little time to describe what I would hope to have achieved at the end of my first term as President. [..] The following are conditions I intend to achieve. [..] By January 2013, America has welcomed home most of the servicemen and women who have sacrificed terribly so that America might be secure in her freedom. The Iraq War has been won. Iraq is a functioning democracy, although still suffering from the lingering effects of decades of tyranny and centuries of sectarian tension. Violence still occurs, but it is spasmodic and much reduced. Civil war has been prevented; militias disbanded; the Iraqi Security Force is professional and competent; al Qaeda in Iraq has been defeated; and the Government of Iraq is capable of imposing its authority in every province of Iraq and defending the integrity of its borders. The United States maintains a military presence there, but a much smaller one, and it does not play a direct combat role.

What do you think? Vote or comment...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 498 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 15 May, 2008 08:20 am
La-la land. There's essentially no difference between this, and Bush's position on Iraq. Neither one says how we are to GET to this point there.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Thu 15 May, 2008 08:29 am
It's possible if we have real leadership in Washington.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 15 May, 2008 08:32 am
More realistic then saying "we will have US troops out of Iraq in 16 months if I am elected." Now that's being in la-la-land.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 15 May, 2008 08:47 am
McGentrix wrote:
More realistic then saying "we will have US troops out of Iraq in 16 months if I am elected." Now that's being in la-la-land.

Nope. There's a clear plan for withdrawing troops; it does not rely upon the Iraqis or anyone else to do anything.

There is no clear path to 'winning' the war in Iraq. We cannot rely on the Iraqis to decide to stop fighting each other; there's no evidence that this is going to happen anytime soon.

One argument is infinitely more realistic then the other one.

Also, the fact that McCain can't tell the difference between Sunni and Shiite kind of kills the idea that he is an 'effective leader' for our problems there.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Thu 15 May, 2008 08:50 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

Nope. There's a clear plan for withdrawing troops; it does not rely upon the Iraqis or anyone else to do anything.

There is no clear path to 'winning' the war in Iraq. We cannot rely on the Iraqis to decide to stop fighting each other; there's no evidence that this is going to happen anytime soon.

Also, the fact that McCain can't tell the difference between Sunni and Shiite kind of kills the idea that he is an 'effective leader' for our problems there.

Cycloptichorn

Obama is no better than McGaffe.

Obama Gaffes on Iraq and Afghanistan

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalradar/2008/05/obama-gaffes-on.html
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 15 May, 2008 08:55 am
Brand X wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

Cycloptichorn

Obama is no better than McGaffe.

Obama Gaffes on Iraq and Afghanistan

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalradar/2008/05/obama-gaffes-on.html

Hmm, those gaffes aren't all that gaffish.

There is this line in the article -

Quote:

As far as that goes, Obama's overall point -- as noted in the original piece -- is probably valid.

McCain literally can't keep Sunni and Shia straight. He mistakes the two of them all the time. He suggested that Al Qaeda was being trained and supported by Iran, even though the two of them are on different ends of the spectrum.

No comparison.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Thu 15 May, 2008 08:59 am
The point is Obama talks out his ass all time, this time he really had to dance and come up with a couple languages to try to cover himself.

What will he do to cover his ass? Dump a Reverend?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 15 May, 2008 09:07 am
Brand X wrote:
The point is Obama talks out his ass all time, this time he really had to dance and come up with a couple languages to try to cover himself.

What will he do to cover his ass? Dump a Reverend?

This doesn't relate to the original article you posted much at all.

I noticed that you took a pretty long vacation from A2K politics forum, and seem to have come back for the express purpose of knocking Obama. I think you are afraid he is going to win.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Thu 15 May, 2008 09:12 am
It's getting close to the general and as I've said before Barry doesn't have a chance. Does that sound like fear to you?

I'm just trying to wake some of you Obamaniacs up to the fact that his bullshit is no better than any other politicians.

BTW, he still hasn't been nominated.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 15 May, 2008 09:14 am
Brand X wrote:
It's getting close to the general and as I've said before Barry doesn't have a chance. Does that sound like fear to you?

I'm just trying to wake some of you Obamaniacs up to the fact that his bullshit is no better than any other politicians.

BTW, he still hasn't been nominated.

Yes, it does sound like fear. In fact, the Republicans insisting that he 'doesn't have a chance' sounds exactly like fear.

I think you're trying to convince yourself, not us Laughing

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Thu 15 May, 2008 09:15 am
If it makes you sleep better, then think it.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 15 May, 2008 09:19 am
Brand X wrote:
If it makes you sleep better, then think it.

Okay.

I don't see the part where McCain outlines how we are going to get to the point where we've 'won' in Iraq.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 15 May, 2008 09:30 am
Maybe you should get more involved then. Perhaps sit in on some meetings with him and have some close personal time where he can share his plans with you on what strategies he might use.

Or, just sit there behind your computer and read the daily blogs on kos and interject your opinions here. Either way is fine with me.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 15 May, 2008 09:34 am
McGentrix wrote:
Maybe you should get more involved then. Perhaps sit in on some meetings with him and have some close personal time where he can share his plans with you on what strategies he might use.

Or, just sit there behind your computer and read the daily blogs on kos and interject your opinions here. Either way is fine with me.

I don't believe that my advice would be well-received by the candidate. Still, it's a good idea, so I will email his campaign and see if they can arrange a meeting.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies