Boiling Water

cello

Reply Tue 13 May, 2008 05:23 am
Someone told me that one should not re-boil tap water that has been boiled, but could not remember the reason why (someone else told him).

Why would it be so?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,599 • Replies: 14
No top replies

fishin

Reply Tue 13 May, 2008 06:59 am
There seems to be a lot of concern about reboiling water amongst what I will call "tea snobs". They seem to think that boiling water multiple time affects the taste of tea made using the water. Basically, the concept is that there are chemicals/minerals (nitrates, flouride, chlorine, etc...) in most tap water and when you boil water the chemicals are left behind since some H2O evaporates and is removed as steam. Reboiling would then increase the concentration of these chemicals in the remaining water.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 13 May, 2008 07:16 am
I'm not a tea snob, but I do drink quite a bit of green tea, the loose leaf kind, not the bottom of the barrel tea "saw dust" you buy in bags.

You don't even bring water to a boil for green tea, since it's unfermented, and delicate. Boiling water would bring out bitterness.

I know this sounds all new agey, but water that has been boiled tastes flat to me, like it's lifeless and de-energized.

I don't smoke, or drink so maybe my taste buds are more able to taste the subtle difference.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 13 May, 2008 07:44 am
Chai wrote:
You don't even bring water to a boil for green tea, since it's unfermented, and delicate. Boiling water would bring out bitterness.

Bringing water to a "low boil" or stopping the process just before boiling makes a lot more sense. Most tea-drinkers that I know don't allow the water to boil for long if at all. It isn't like hard-boiling eggs or boiling pasta where it needs to boil for 20 minutes. Concentrating the chemicals in any significant amount would require that the water boil for some time.

Quote:
I know this sounds all new agey, but water that has been boiled tastes flat to me, like it's lifeless and de-energized.

I don't think that's "new-agey" at all. Boiling releases gases (CO2, etc..) that are in the water. Fewer gases = flat water.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Tue 13 May, 2008 07:48 am
That's it...you are suppose to heat the water to almost boiling...boiling the water is called "burning" it and is frowned upon for a cup of tea. Because of just what you all said. Makes it flat.
0 Replies

cello

Reply Wed 14 May, 2008 06:17 pm
This makes sense to me, it was someone who drinks tea who told me that. Well, as a coffee drinker, I boil my water and let it boil a little more after the kettle wistles. Water that is not boiled makes some foam at the top of the coffee, and it looks awful.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 14 May, 2008 07:02 pm
you make coffee with a kettle?

what, you use instant?

(faints)
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 14 May, 2008 08:07 pm
Oh. Coffee snob, too.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 14 May, 2008 08:17 pm
Laughing Coulda been filter drip coffee...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 14 May, 2008 08:19 pm
roger wrote:
Oh. Coffee snob, too.

Woger, you made me snork all over the place. You owe me some screen-cleaner.
0 Replies

cello

Reply Thu 15 May, 2008 08:48 pm
Well, I use instant because I can't wait for the other stuff to drip.

I use a kettle to boil the water. How else can one do it? I know some people put tap water in a cup and "boil" it in the microwave. Some people use hot tap water.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 16 May, 2008 06:28 am
I set up the coffee the night before, and punch the on button when I get up.

Then I go back and go to the bathroom for my morning piss, and by that time there's enough to at least take an inch (don't take more than that or you'll screw up the rest of the coffee) to take a couple of sips on until the rest of it is done. I'm making coffee for 2 people, so if it's just you it shouldn't take as long.

Honestly? I don't drink much coffee at all. Usually just one cup in the morning, but I do look forward to it, and the taste. I'm not into flavored coffee, or gourmet brands or anything, Maxwell House Columbian Roast does me just fine.

If the coffee for some reason didn't turn out right, it doesn't ruin my day or anything, but, for a little while I'm like "god, I couldn't even get a decent cup of joe, is that asking too much?" Laughing
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Fri 16 May, 2008 06:44 am
I think I need to back off the caffeine. I went two days without my morning coffee and had THE worst headache. I had a diet DrPepper each day too...so I wasn't totally caffeine free...but doing without that coffee in the morning...

After trying Tylenol and Advil...then I went and made a pot of coffee at 3:00pm - which I never do. Within half a cup - my headache was gone.

That.....is pitiful.
0 Replies

cello

Reply Fri 16 May, 2008 08:37 am
Chai, you let the water sit all night long in your coffee machine? (faints) I only use water after letting in run a while before filling up my kettle.

Mismi, coffee withdrawal symptons are horrible, I agree. Tried it, went back to coffee right away.

By the way, is it healthy to boil the water just for drinking, I mean not for coffee or tea? Won't the chemicals be destroyed?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 16 May, 2008 10:55 am
cello wrote:
Chai, you let the water sit all night long in your coffee machine? (faints)

Laughing Laughing

touche
0 Replies