Police suck.

Reply Wed 14 May, 2008 07:30 am
I don't think part-time is a good answer. "Off-duty cop" shows up in enough incidence reports as it is; there's an awful lot of them.

Nobody really likes dealing with authority figures. How many people here are really good friends with their boss at work? So your opinions with respect to the police are going to be largely colored by the circumstances you run into them. For some people, it's in a helpful fashion (had a cop help me change a tire once, and never really got into trouble), but for lots of people, it's in a confrontational fashion.

There's also a real and warranted perception that the police cherry-pick which incidences they deal with. Well, I mean, in a big city, there's going to be some of that, there's not the resources to go around; but there's a lot of perception of "why is this cop hassling me when he could be out solving a real crime".

Combine all this with the whole "war on drugs", where police are unusually interested in stopping people and conducting searches. Yes, you have the right to refuse to consent to a search, but you've got to have pretty big brass ones to exercise that right, and there's always the worry that the policeman will simply arrest your ass for some reason so he can do his search anyway; they're not supposed to do it, but you're pretty much hosed if it happens.

And there's the root of a lot of the dislike for cops. They have a lot of arbitrary authority, the discretion to deprive you of your freedom (for at least a few days while the legal system takes a squint at you) more or less at their own discretion, and abuses of that authority are not punished. We all know that cops don't write each other speeding tickets, even though this is not the law in any jurisdiction. Actual abuse is pretty rare, all things considered, but it's a big country and you hear about people getting arrested on a charge of not using their turn signal, and what are you supposed to think about the twit who made that arrest?

But it's a tough job. You're dealing with the worst people and the worst in people. I can complain, but I don't know that I could run a department any better...
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 01:55 pm
Weird that u brought up scholarships.

I just read something about college loans not being approved as often.

i hope that doesn't apply to me when i sign up.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 02:21 pm
OGIONIK
I know you aren't the least bit fond of the police, but do they have a ride-along program where you live? They do here where I live. If they do, you might want to ride along with a patrol officer or a traffic officer and then you can see first hand what their job is and can ask them questions. Just an idea for thought is all.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 02:29 pm
that wouldn't change a thing, its their policies that are flawed.

bottom line, im scared of police, gangsters are just there selling drugs.
they make their own job tough with stupid policies.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 02:33 pm
Maybe if you rode along with one for a shift then you wouldn't be scared. It may not change how you feel, but if you don't try then you will never know. What do you have to lose? You never know, you might just like it. Only a suggestion, not trying to change your mind.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 02:45 pm
they just aren't good people, actions always spoke louder than words IMO.

and they scream prejudice with every move they make.

i might give it some thought tho.

But im just gonna be all like "do u guys REALLY have to dedicate your lives to stoppin that addict from doin meth for 3 months?"

Does it really bother anyone that he is destroying his own body?" is that reason enough to waste billions of hard earned dollars?
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 02:48 pm
So, ask them that if you want and hear what they say. Ask them all sorts of questions. I am happy to see that at least you will think about it. It is good to see you post that Very Happy
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 03:51 pm
actually, in todays world, asking the police anything is really really not advisable.

when you question the law, you question their integrity for following that law, and everyone knows thats not acceptable.

really im not playing.

asking a cop this question "Hey, why do you enforce useless drug laws when the money could be spent doin something productive"
is literally legal suicide.

if you not ticketed for jaywalking, or some other bs charge your blessed by god.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 03:54 pm
I asked a cop why i was stopped 3 times before i learned my lesson.

"so whatcha stop me for?" (normal tone)

"whastever the **** iw ant, YOU QUESTIONONG ME? WHAT ARE U HIDIN? U GOT ANY TATTOOS?" DRUGS" WEAPONS") with spittle flying in my face.

its not fun, i was in a mild shock the first time i thought he was on drugs, like coked out or soemthing i was like waoh calm down and then i couldnt even understand him it was just him yellingand leaning into my face and im just like holy **** is this guy serious?

i thought it was a one time occurence

after the next 2 times , with similar encounters i learned that police are just fuckheads.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 04:02 pm
The opening thread is not entirely wrong. For instance, there was some incident in the new not too long ago, where a couple, tired of speeders racing past theire home, set up an automatic radar gun in their yard. When they reported that a...was it an off duty police man?...something like that.....was speeding, the policeman had them charged with stalking. Eventually, the case was dropped, but the policeman should never have been able to have them charged to begin with. Certainly we don't want to create a class of people who don't merely have the tools they need to enforce the law, but have more rights than ordinary citizens.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 05:16 pm
most shoplifting occurs from within,

thats true with government as well.

dumb criminals run the streets, the pros get into government.
0 Replies