Reply Fri 9 May, 2008 07:47 am
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 650 • Replies: 3
No top replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 11 May, 2008 05:07 pm
in 1974 - 34 years ago ! - president nixon asked congress - again ! - to implement a comprehensive health care plan for americans .
as of today NO AMERICAN PRESIDENT has been able to persuade congress or the nation to develop a universal health insurance system .

this is only a short part of his message to congress , find the full text at the link .

perhaps , president nixon - despite many flaws - had more of a social conscience then all of those presidents that followed him .
hbg

Quote:
Richard Nixon

Special Message to the Congress Proposing a Comprehensive Health Insurance Plan

February 6th, 1974
To the Congress of the United States:

One of the most cherished goals of our democracy is to assure every American an equal opportunity to lead a full and productive life.

In the last quarter century, we have made remarkable progress toward that goal, opening the doors to millions of our fellow countrymen who were seeking equal opportunities in education, jobs and voting.

Now it is time that we move forward again in still another critical area: health care.

Without adequate health care, no one can make full use of his or her talents and opportunities. It is thus just as important that economic, racial and social barriers not stand in the way of good health care as it is to eliminate those barriers to a good education and a good job.

Three years ago, I proposed a major health insurance program to the Congress, seeking to guarantee adequate financing of health care on a nationwide basis. That proposal generated widespread discussion and useful debate. But no legislation reached my desk.

Today the need is even more pressing because of the higher costs of medical care. Efforts to control medical costs under the New Economic Policy have been Inept with encouraging success, sharply reducing the rate of inflation for health care. Nevertheless, the overall cost of health care has still risen by more than 20 percent in the last two and one-half years, so that more and more Americans face staggering bills when they receive medical help today:

--Across the Nation, the average cost of a day of hospital care now exceeds $110.

--The average cost of delivering a baby and providing postnatal care approaches $1,000.
--The average cost of health care for terminal cancer now exceeds $20,000.

complete text :
PRESIDENT NIXON'S HEALTH INSURANCE PROPOSAL
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Sun 11 May, 2008 05:11 pm
hamburger wrote:
in 1974 - 34 years ago ! - president nixon asked congress - again ! - to implement a comprehensive health care plan for americans .
as of today NO AMERICAN PRESIDENT has been able to persuade congress or the nation to develop a universal health insurance system .

this is only a short part of his message to congress , find the full text at the link .

perhaps , president nixon - despite many flaws - had more of a social conscience then all of those presidents that followed him .
hbg

Quote:
Richard Nixon

Special Message to the Congress Proposing a Comprehensive Health Insurance Plan

February 6th, 1974
To the Congress of the United States:

One of the most cherished goals of our democracy is to assure every American an equal opportunity to lead a full and productive life.

In the last quarter century, we have made remarkable progress toward that goal, opening the doors to millions of our fellow countrymen who were seeking equal opportunities in education, jobs and voting.

Now it is time that we move forward again in still another critical area: health care.

Without adequate health care, no one can make full use of his or her talents and opportunities. It is thus just as important that economic, racial and social barriers not stand in the way of good health care as it is to eliminate those barriers to a good education and a good job.

Three years ago, I proposed a major health insurance program to the Congress, seeking to guarantee adequate financing of health care on a nationwide basis. That proposal generated widespread discussion and useful debate. But no legislation reached my desk.

Today the need is even more pressing because of the higher costs of medical care. Efforts to control medical costs under the New Economic Policy have been Inept with encouraging success, sharply reducing the rate of inflation for health care. Nevertheless, the overall cost of health care has still risen by more than 20 percent in the last two and one-half years, so that more and more Americans face staggering bills when they receive medical help today:

--Across the Nation, the average cost of a day of hospital care now exceeds $110.

--The average cost of delivering a baby and providing postnatal care approaches $1,000.
--The average cost of health care for terminal cancer now exceeds $20,000.

complete text :
PRESIDENT NIXON'S HEALTH INSURANCE PROPOSAL

thanks for pointing that out. its so hard finding a job with my wisdom tooth hitting my other teeth. i cant talk right and im starting to stuter menally and physically because my mouth is so messed up.

i get to take it out in like 4-5 days *hopefully* unless for esxample i cant aquier food then ill have to wait another week.

its just ridiculous, noones gonna hire me im all messed up. i dotn even have clothes. how the **** am i gonna get hired?

ok ok ok im actualyl stressing out about things i cant controla agin i need to stop that. ignor eit lol. yeah yeah.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 16 May, 2008 06:18 am
Quote:
It is ...important that economic, racial and social barriers not stand in the way of good health care ...

The Universal Health Insurance plan established in Massachusetts is a good example of what not to do.
0 Replies