Substitute Teacher Says Wizardry Accusation Cost Him Job

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 06:20 am
http://media.tbo.com/photos/trib/2008/may/0505wizard.jpg

Quote:

Jim Piculas, a substitute teacher, displays the magic trick that he says cost him his job with the Pasco County School District. Piculas says a parent complained after he performed the trick at Rushe Middle School in Land O Lakes.

The telephone call that spelled the end of Jim Piculas' career as a substitute teacher in Pasco came on a January day about a week after he performed the disappearing-toothpick trick for a group of rapt middle school students.

Pat Sinclair, who oversees substitute teachers in the Pasco County School District, was on the phone. She told Piculas there had been a complaint about his performance at Rushe Middle School in Land O' Lakes.

He asked what she meant.

"She said, 'You've been accused of wizardry,' " Piculas said.

He said the statement seemed bizarre to him, like something out of Harry Potter.

Piculas said he replied, "I have no idea what you're talking about."

He said he also told Sinclair, "It's not black magic. It's a toothpick."

The school district puts a somewhat different spin on the disappearing-toothpick incident.

Performing a magic trick at Rushe Middle is just one of the reasons the school district gives for dumping Piculas from the substitute-teacher list. The others are: Piculas did not follow the lesson plans, he allowed students on computers even though another teacher said not to, and he told the fifth-period student peer that she was in charge.

Piculas said those other reasons are just window dressing. He said he believes it all comes down to the disappearing-toothpick trick and a student who may have interpreted the trick as wizardry.

The trick requires a toothpick and transparent tape. A sleight-of-hand maneuver causes the toothpick to disappear then reappear. At least, so it seems. In reality, the toothpick hides behind the performer's thumb, held in place by the tape.

"The whole thing lasted 45 seconds," Piculas said.

He said the students liked the trick. He showed them how to do it so they could perform it at home.
One student in the Rushe Middle class apparently took the trick the wrong way, Piculas said. He said he was told the student became so traumatized that the student's father complained.

Sinclair wrote Piculas a letter, date Jan. 28, to say the district would "no longer be using your services." The letter mentioned magic tricks at the end of the list of other classroom offenses he is accused of committing.

Full story here
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,867 • Replies: 20
No top replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 06:22 am
it is a horrible world we live in now... where everyone has to be no only super paranoid about every ******* thing, but that people are overly concerned with being PC to the point where our teachers no longer have the power to teach, nor the respect to maintain their classrooms.

When I was in school it was NOTHING for a teacher to point at a child and say " be in charge...I have to run this to the office " or go to the bathroom.. or what have you.

Many teachers up to about the fifth grade told us silly stories instead of giving a lesson.. showed us magick tricks and were all around goofy .
I still got a wonderful education, and hold some of those teachers in high regard even 25+ years later.

Why are we as a society like this?
Why do we feed into this?
Why do we expect a teacher, who is a SUBSTITUTE to know every single inner workings of a classroom... and freak out because the two or so days that he is there.. he just lets the kids have fun?
he is not the main teacher.
And kids having soft days where they joke, talk and just relax is not going to harm them in anyway.

I dont agree with one piece of this article. Of course I do not know the entire story.. but I do not see that a substitute who has a relaxed atmosphere for a day or so in the class they are in as a danger to education, children, or the regular teachers agenda.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 06:28 am
I would like more clarification on this statement:

Quote:
The letter mentioned magic tricks at the end of the list of other classroom offenses he is accused of committing.

What else was on the list? Did I miss something in the full article?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 06:30 am
Quote:
The others are: Piculas did not follow the lesson plans, he allowed students on computers even though another teacher said not to, and he told the fifth-period student peer that she was in charge.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 06:36 am
I don't buy this story at all.

It seems to me this guy was fired for being a crummy teacher. He is a goof-off. The rest of the stuff is spin.

There is nothing here... move along.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 06:37 am
Thanks, SW. It does seem like rather extreme measures were taken. Why not just a warning? Being a sub teacher nowadays is not an easy job.

Personally, I would love to be accused of "wizardry", it's a positive thing in my career.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 06:39 am
Christians are bad enough....

... but now we have Pagans with a persecution complex???

Goddess help us.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 06:46 am
>snort

complex? who me?

ppbbtthh
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 06:46 am
actually I am sure there is more to this.

And if he is a 'goof off' all the time.. yeah.. I can see there being a problem.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 06:47 am
ebrown_p wrote:
Christians are bad enough....

... but now we have Pagans with a persecution complex???

Goddess help us.

Stop persecuting pagans or I'll make your toothpick disappear.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 06:48 am
Laughing

according to this guy, that only takes a little piece of tape on the thumb
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 07:04 am
This story doesn't even make sense.

School administrators don't fire people for doing sleight of hand tricks. The only evidence that this was the case is the allegation of a man who was just fired for incompetence.

You religious people can be so irrational.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 07:13 am
dont make me put a hex on you
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 07:50 am
If it wasn't "wizardry" that cost him his job they shouldn't have told him that wizardry cost him his job and that he had "traumatized" some kid with his hocus-pocus.

I'm with shewolf on this one.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 07:54 am
boomerang wrote:
If it wasn't "wizardry" that cost him his job they shouldn't have told him that wizardry cost him his job and that he had "traumatized" some kid with his hocus-pocus.

Read it again boomerang... this ridiculous story is the allegation of this one teacher. There is no evidence that this was really said... and the person saying it has an interest in making up a good story.

Come on boomerang... do you really think that this happened?... or could this just be an incompetent teacher making up a story to explain why he got canned.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 08:05 am
You think making a toothpick is evil....imagine how much trauma he could have caused with THIS!
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 08:11 am
Chai, that was absolutely riveting! Thank you.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 08:12 am
It is a bit of he said/she said, I'll give you that. There is probably more to this story.

But subs rarely have control over the classroom. They didn't 30 years ago when I was in school and they don't now. Kids, especially middle schoolers, take advantage of subs.

I've been on a rant about subs for a few months now. I know I played a part in getting one incompetent sub canned but that was only after she allowed something potentially dangerous to happen and I ratted her out to the kid's mom.

But... yeah.... I can see some gasbag being so offended by "wizardry" that he says "That's not in the lesson plan! Burn him!"
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 08:15 am
Green Witch wrote:
Thanks, SW. It does seem like rather extreme measures were taken. Why not just a warning? Being a sub teacher nowadays is not an easy job.

Personally, I would love to be accused of "wizardry", it's a positive thing in my career.

I wonder if there were previous warnings? It just seems that it is difficult to fire some one - believe me I am going through that now. Because of fear of bad publicity and potential legal suits, you pretty much have to jump through hoops to fire someone even some one that s*cks at the job.

However if there was no warning, then I agree - you need to tell someone first that they s*ck at the job and then give them a chance to make improvements.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 08:17 am
boomerang wrote:

Did they actually tell him this? Or is he saying that - like a case of he said/she said.

Maybe they said something along the lines of teach instead of doing that wizardy crap and he twisted to make it sound like they were accusing him of wizardy rather than doing his job.

In most cases, you hear both sides and the truth lies in between.
0 Replies