Conference Calls

quinn1

Reply Wed 7 May, 2008 07:05 pm
My good gosh people...in Corporate America and Brick and Mortar companies Conference Calls are bad enough but, I have got to tell you that off-site conference calls are worse. I never thought it possible. True though.

Typically when Conferencing with customer or other locations from a board room you have some long winded peeps or stupid questions, etc. It's the norm, it happens, it will make someone crazy, not a big deal but, kind of annoying anyway.

With all types of people all across the US calling in to get info on specific programs it's much much worse. People don't prepare ahead of time, they don't have any dang sense of business (not muting their kids, music, tv, or other calls, etc) and it drives me crazy. I guess I am too professional for this sometimes. lol.

I'm going to try to do these during the day from now on.

Thanksforlistening
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,815 • Replies: 28
No top replies

Chai

Reply Wed 7 May, 2008 07:26 pm
I feel your pain.
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 7 May, 2008 07:32 pm
Hi Quinn, this is George. I've got Ralph and Waldo here.
[Hi Quinn]
[brfgrtz]
What?
What?
Can you turn up the volume?
What?
No, Waldo just left.
Are Henry and David there?
Henry.
Henry.
Henry.
He's not? He's supposed to be there.
Ok, well have David give his status.
He did? Where'd he go?
Quinn?
Quinn?
Quinn?
Damn, we got cut off.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Wed 7 May, 2008 07:38 pm
lol

well at least I am not alone in my pain.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 7 May, 2008 07:48 pm
I went to a conference once.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 7 May, 2008 07:50 pm
Do you ever have to do webex calls?

holy ****.

now you have all these people who don't know how to mute their phone, and half of them keep asking how to get into the webex session......what's the password.....my screeen is blank.....what time is it supposed to be, I'm on central time and I see something for eastern time.....what's the password.......hello......hello.....this is barbara from santa fe.....hello....is anyone else there....(I'm not sure anyone's there ed, let's call back...).....how do I log on.....

the trainer must have to take a qualude to deal with this.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 08:26 am
Try interviewing some one via phone....

With our company relocating in several different sites - conference calls are a way of life here. Look at it this way...you can mute the phone when not speaking and therefore make fun of the individuals at the other site; you can also make faces and other stuff.

The problem we have is they call in number or password wasn't set up correctly so you spend 15 minutes trying to resolve it and contact everyone with the correct information.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 08:33 am
fishin wrote:
I went to a conference once.

Is that how you got to look like that? Wink

Chai wrote:
the trainer must have to take a qualude to deal with this.

Um - part of our conference calls are pulling product info up off website and reviewing so, I am guessing that's the same thing. Maybe that's why I want a Qualude all the time? I don't know how the trainers deal!

Linkat - I make faces ALL the time. You should see the gestures I routinely pass along to customers via phone! Cool
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 08:40 am
One other bonus, if you are the only one at your location so that you are calling from your desk - you can get a lot of work done while attending a meeting.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 08:41 am
I have three regularly scheduled and several impromptu conference calls weekly lasting from 1 to 3 hours each with 5 to 40 participants (the one with 40 is surprisingly well orchestrated and organized out of necessity). The biggest problem is getting everyone to dial in on time so that the first few folks don't start yabbering about this, that, and the other thing before the agenda topics come up for discussion. "We're just waiting for .... to come on" drives me nuts (unless it's me they're waiting for and then it's fine 'cuz I don't have to hear it).

As an independent contractor conference calls are my life. I'd probably have to get a real job without them. I'd much rather spend 20 minutes on a conference call than have 15 people trying to have a discussion via group responses to email. Someone asks a question, 14 people respond separately, then they each start responding to the separate responses. As soon as I get the first email from the second round of responses I send out a "Someone needs to set up a conference call" broadcast message.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 08:43 am
I would never mute the phone and make fun of the people talking.

The very idea....
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 09:10 am
It really is poor business performance.

I should stop shooting the bird.
And Swearing.
And Laughing.
And rolling my eyes.
And banging my head on the desk.

Okay. I should not do calls.
Wait - that's my job.
Nevermind.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 09:47 am
Chai wrote:
I would never mute the phone and make fun of the people talking.

The very idea....

Right..
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 09:51 am
Linkat wrote:
One other bonus, if you are the only one at your location so that you are calling from your desk - you can get a lot of work done while attending a meeting.

Oh HELL yes.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 09:52 am
JPB wrote:
As an independent contractor conference calls are my life. I'd probably have to get a real job without them. I'd much rather spend 20 minutes on a conference call than have 15 people trying to have a discussion via group responses to email. Someone asks a question, 14 people respond separately, then they each start responding to the separate responses. As soon as I get the first email from the second round of responses I send out a "Someone needs to set up a conference call" broadcast message.

You need a Wiki site.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 09:59 am
JPB - sorry missed your previous post - my bad.
I agree. Email would suck worse.

Linkat - Forgot about the getting stuff done during the calls thingy-good point.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 01:42 pm
DrewDad wrote:
JPB wrote:

You need a Wiki site.

wassat?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 01:44 pm
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=52zSRV_Kgfw

Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 01:55 pm
Great idea- we could have conference calls about the prank calls!!!

Shocked

Nope, not even going to mention it.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 04:53 pm
JPB wrote:
DrewDad wrote:
JPB wrote:

You need a Wiki site.

wassat?

A Wiki (think of Wikipedia, or Wiki your friends from here) is collaborative stuff. However, unless you have someone who's kinda the designated editor (I was, 2 jobs ago), it's a disorganized mess and there's little quality control. Cat herding to the max.

I've done Sametime training sessions over the phone.

And here's where the cursor turns to a black cross. Does everyone see that? {silence}

Okay well, let's move on.
0 Replies