Advice Requested: Dating traps in a new city

Reply Mon 5 May, 2008 02:43 am
I'm getting ready to move, and I've been single for about 5 months 8 days (but who is counting). I've been staying off the market and just focusing on school etc for tha last few months and I'm excited for my move in 30 days (nobody is counting).

I'm looking for some advice in terms of setting myself into some good patterns.

To give some context about myself, I've never ever really casually dated people. I've usually sought out relationships/girlfriends. From my observations this is pretty much normal for my age. I am just starting my career as an engineering professional, and so new dating practices aren't the only over-haul my lifestyle is recieving.

Anyone care to share their similar experiences? Advice?

T
K
O
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,582 • Replies: 18
No top replies

Bohne

Reply Mon 5 May, 2008 03:06 am
After my last big move (England to Germany) I had no intention of dating any time soon.
I was 27 years old and ready to have some fun, though.

so I went out with colleagues a lot, joined a dive club and found a pub, that I made my second home.
I also did some drawing courses.
Basically anything I felt like.
I was FREE!!!

Out of this I good quite a few good acquaintances, some might even be considered friends.
Some casual sexual encounters.
A lot of fun.
A great hobby( I have become a dive instructor in the meantime).
And finally a guy who I ended up marrying.

So my advice: Just be open to anything. Have fun and live!
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Mon 5 May, 2008 03:34 am
That doesn't sound bad at all. Hope I am as fortunate.
K
O
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 5 May, 2008 05:29 am
I'd agree with Bohne's advice.

Do stuff that sounds fun to you. Enjoy your freedom. If something comes from that, cool. If not, oh well! You're doing fun stuff and enjoying your freedom.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 5 May, 2008 01:07 pm
Diest--

Remember, you need a life before you need a partner to share that life.

Get yourself squared away and romance will come knocking.
0 Replies

sullyfish6

Reply Tue 6 May, 2008 08:27 pm
I think the bar life will get old, fast. But it could be fun, for a while.

That's not a place to find a wife, for sure.

What are your recreational interests? Whether it's rock climbing, museums, concerts, or surfing, THAT'S where you are going to find a gal interested in the same things as you.

Look and act available, but NOT desperate!

Good luck - and be careful out there!!
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 6 May, 2008 08:43 pm
go to meet up dot com.

Find your area.. and sign up for things that interest YOU..

Most of the groups meet at least once a month.. so not only do you 'have things to do' but the things to do interest you , and any other women in the group. Smile

Not a dating service at all.. just a golden opportunity..
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Tue 6 May, 2008 08:51 pm
I'm thinking about new hobbies a lot lately. Here's some of the candidates.

sushi (like making it, not just appreciating it)
cycling
martial arts (judo, aikido or capoeira)
ballroom dance (most likely salsa and/or tango)

All of which are related to an old or current hobby.

T
K
O
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Tue 6 May, 2008 08:52 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
go to meet up dot com.

Find your area.. and sign up for things that interest YOU..

Most of the groups meet at least once a month.. so not only do you 'have things to do' but the things to do interest you , and any other women in the group. Smile

Not a dating service at all.. just a golden opportunity..

Cool. I've never heard of such a thing. sounds fun.

T
K
O
0 Replies

Bohne

Reply Wed 7 May, 2008 02:25 am
[quote="sullyfish6"]I think the bar life will get old, fast. But it could be fun, for a while.
That's not a place to find a wife, for sure.[/quote]

That is pretty narrow minded...
I met my husband in the pub, and no he is not and has never been a heavy drinker!

@DIEST: sushi is great!
I have taken two courses and looking forward to a third one this year (if the guy doing them can think of anything past basic and advanced!)
Very Happy
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Wed 7 May, 2008 02:56 am
If I can meet a nice woman who can embrace my odd taste in spirits, I'd be happy.

shewolfnm - I really like the site. Lots to look into. I have many friends making moves soon, and I will forward it on. Perhaps it will help them find new exciting things!

I checked BTW, and searching from groups related to sushi returned many hits in NoVA.

T
K
O
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 7 May, 2008 06:01 am
Very Happy

I do love that site myself.
I have made several friends there and I have 3 groups I attend every month.

It really is a great resource.
0 Replies

Aubreyea

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2008 07:34 pm
relationship?
wow...you're not serious yet, aren't you...obviously, you didn't find the right girl for you...but having one,,,can add colors to your life,,,, don't take life seriously boy....you might regret someday...enjoy every moment!
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2008 08:10 pm
I'm here now, and I've gone on two dates! Not really romantic interests, but I've really enjoyed having someone fun to introduce me to the city. It's been fun.

I've never been on friend dates.

Before anyone asks: Yes, I'm convinced that she doesn't want anything else. Yes, I'm okay with that.

The way I see it is, the more people I meet the more opportunities I have to meet people who I can date.

I think I'm going to do well here...

T
K
O
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2008 08:19 pm
Happy for you, TK. From me to you, just be, experience. Listen to self.. at least once in a while.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2008 09:34 pm
Update: Things are slowing down, but I'm hoping that a few social ventures in the near future will introduce me to some nice lady folk. I think I have a date next week. I've enjoyed the dates I've been on mostly so far.

I got one nighted. Victory for some, but I kind of feel like that was wasted time. I guess I'm a little less twitchy-jittery. lol.

I'm going to a meet-up for Japanese speakers in July, that should be fun too.

T
K
O
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2008 01:12 am
Work has kicked in now and my social windows are starting to solidify. I'm pleased that I haven't let it become an excuse to not meet people. More date lately. I'm doing well with the casual dating thing.

I didn't think I had it in me.

T
K
O
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2008 05:01 am
Diest--

Comparative Shopping can be fun once you learn the knack of exploration.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2008 06:10 am
When I shop for a new car I tend to test drive everthing possible before making a choice.
0 Replies