It's Harry Potter Stupid

Reply Fri 2 May, 2008 08:26 am
Hagee attacks Harry Potter. Madness of Right Wing Exposed.
by obamagramma

Hagee can say what he likes about the Catholic Church without many waking up to what a nut McCain is "happy to have the endorsement" of, but when he attacks Harry Potter, his madness is revealed.

obamagramma's diary :: ::
"America has become a pagan society," thunders the powerful and influential Texas pastor John Hagee in the Cornerstone Church sermon, "and we are in a moral, emotional, spiritual free fall. When a school teacher cannot refer to the Ten Commandments on the wall but can command your child to read Harry Potter, which is nothing but a precursor of witchcraft, we' going in the wrong direction here. This is not intelligence! We are embracing the era of darkness! re embracing the era of darkness! When the Boy Scouts of America are censored and penalized for refusing to accept homosexual scout leaders, we are a pagan nation where we're rebirthing Sodom and Gomorrah!
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2008/5/1/173846/0568
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,236 • Replies: 21
No top replies

nimh

Reply Fri 2 May, 2008 04:26 pm
Right on Laughing
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 2 May, 2008 04:44 pm
If I thought he was correct I would dance for joy around the May pole.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 2 May, 2008 04:50 pm
Although I am a fan of the Harry Potter series and appreciate how it extols certain virtues I, myself, value, the response, evidenced in this thread, to Hagee's comments is more a knee-jerk reaction to Christian fundamentalists, then any sort of reasoned response.

But of course there can be no reasoned response when there is no reasoned consideration of the comments made.

Irrespective of reflexive sneers directed at Hagee, he is certainly closer to the mark in describing the Potter world as pagan than in any other way. No big deal to me but if you are a Christian Minister, why should you be OK with a society that restricts public expressions of your faith, but dictates the consumption of, arguably, paganist notions by children.

He's a bit out there with some of his other comments, but mad?

Please.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 2 May, 2008 04:58 pm
Quote:
"America has become a pagan society .. and we are in a moral, emotional, spiritual free fall. .. We are embracing the era of darkness! When the Boy Scouts of America are censored and penalized for refusing to accept homosexual scout leaders, we are a pagan nation where we're rebirthing Sodom and Gomorrah!

Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Please.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 2 May, 2008 05:03 pm
Is Harry Potter required reading in any school?

Is any child being "commanded" to read or "dictated to consume" Harry Potter? Really?
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Fri 2 May, 2008 05:12 pm
Finn, yeah please. Hagee's rapture fantasy aint mad either. Bring down the Messiah by creating Armageddon. Bomb bomb bomb Iran. That's the McCain/Hagge signiture song. The Jews bless em can convert or die. Rev. Wright would say G-D condemn that. G-d damn that. The mainstream media would crucify him for picking on poor Hagee.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 2 May, 2008 10:05 pm
nimh wrote:
Quote:
"America has become a pagan society .. and we are in a moral, emotional, spiritual free fall. .. We are embracing the era of darkness! When the Boy Scouts of America are censored and penalized for refusing to accept homosexual scout leaders, we are a pagan nation where we're rebirthing Sodom and Gomorrah!

Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Please.

Presumably this juxtoposition is intended to speak for itself, but it merely reinforces my assertion of your bias.

Obviously, you see Hagee's comments as evidence of madness.

I'm not surprised.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 2 May, 2008 10:17 pm
boomerang wrote:

Is any child being "commanded" to read or "dictated to consume" Harry Potter? Really?

Stop being so disingenuous.

Do you really doubt that a Harry Potter novel is on the required reading list of junior high school lit classes throughout America?

I certainly hope this is the case, and have no trouble believing it is.

I also have no trouble believing that the same is true in Oz.

Perhaps, Hagee doesn't want school children to read "Catcher In The Rye," "Rumble Fish," and "The Joy Luck Club," but, if so, he is an ass, but an ass is a far cry from a lunatic ---as anyone familiar with nimh can attest.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 2 May, 2008 10:18 pm
blueflame1 wrote:
Finn, yeah please. Hagee's rapture fantasy aint mad either. Bring down the Messiah by creating Armageddon. Bomb bomb bomb Iran. That's the McCain/Hagge signiture song. The Jews bless em can convert or die. Rev. Wright would say G-D condemn that. G-d damn that. The mainstream media would crucify him for picking on poor Hagee.

This is sane?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 2 May, 2008 10:21 pm
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
boomerang wrote:

Do you really doubt that a Harry Potter novel is on the required reading list of junior high school lit classes throughout America?

Perhaps, Hagee doesn't want school children to read "Catcher In The Rye," "Rumble Fish," and "The Joy Luck Club," but, if so, he is an ass, but an ass is a far cry from a lunatic ---as anyone familiar with nimh can attest.

Yes, I really doubt it is required reading mandated by the public school system in any state in America.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 2 May, 2008 11:09 pm
boomerang wrote:
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
boomerang wrote:

Yes, I really doubt it is required reading mandated by the public school system in any state in America.

You would be wrong. Understandably so because it is much easier to find referrences on the internet to the banning of Harry Potter than it's inclusion in curriculum. One is sexy and the other is not only dull but counter-intuitive to Liberals.

"Scholastic, Inc., a major supplier of public school teaching aids has added the Potter literature to its line of curriculum materials. When the name "Harry Potter" is keyed into the Scholastic.com web site search engine, it returns 268 matches. "Jesus" returned only 23."

(Whether or not this is reasonable, it tends to support Hagee's point, doesn't it)

Source

One

Two

Three
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 3 May, 2008 07:15 am
Scholastic is the publisher of Harry Potter and while I'm sure they wish every book they publish became part of the public school cirriculum it just isn't so.

Let's see....

They've published 7 books about Harry Potter and 9 books about Jesus, 10 books about God, 12 books about religion and 4 read and learn Bibles. I'm sure I could go on. (www.scholastic.com)

I suppose since Scholastic publishes these books that they are required reading as well?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 3 May, 2008 07:24 am
From link one:

Quote:
The volume and popularity are so amazing that she taught a unit about the Harry Potter phenomenon in publishing history as part of The Book in Society class this fall. The class, one of three required for a Publishing and Printing Arts minor, studies the history of publishing and literacy, the role of print in culture and genres. PLU also offers a children's literature class, taught by associate professor of English Suzanne Rahn that includes a unit on Harry Potter.

I imagine someone taking a class for their art degree is past middle school.

Nowhere in link two does it say that kids are required to read it. It's an idea for a lesson plan based on the fact that kids like to read it.

Wow. Link three is to the New South Wales school district. My geography may be rusty but last time I checked Australia wasn't part of America.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 3 May, 2008 08:23 am
Figuring that California is the most likely hotbed of scorcery loving pagans I searched for required reading lists in their DEA webiste. I couldn't find one but I did find a list of recommended reading:

Quote:
California Department of Education > Reading List Web Site

Beauty of the Beast: Poems from the Animal Kingdom Prelutsky, Jack NP Upper Elementary (3-5)
Middle School (6-8)

Been to Yesterdays: Poems of a Life Hopkins, Lee Bennett NP Middle School (6-8)

Black Is Brown Is Tan Adoff, Arnold NP Middle School (6-8)

Canterbury Tales, The Chaucer, Geoffrey, Hastings, Selina (adapter) NP Middle School (6-8)

Casey at the Bat: A Ballad of the Republic Sung in the Year 1888 Thayer, Ernest L. NP Upper Elementary (3-5)
Middle School (6-8)

Celebrating America: A Collection of Poems and Images of the American Spirit Whipple, Laura (compiler) NP Upper Elementary (3-5)
Middle School (6-8)

Dream Keeper and Other Poems, The Hughes, Langston NP Middle School (6-8)

Falling Up Silverstein, Shel NP Primary (K-2)
Upper Elementary (3-5)
Middle School (6-8)

Grassroots: Poems by Carl Sandburg Sandburg, Carl NP Upper Elementary (3-5)
Middle School (6-8)

Great Frog Race and Other Poems, The George, Kristine O'Connell NP Primary (K-2)
Upper Elementary (3-5)
Middle School (6-8)

Hailstones and Halibut Bones O'Neill, Mary NP Upper Elementary (3-5)
Middle School (6-8)

Heartland Siebert, Diane NP Middle School (6-8)

Honey, I Love and Other Love Poems Greenfield, Eloise NP Primary (K-2)
Upper Elementary (3-5)
Middle School (6-8)

I Am Wings: Poems About Love Fletcher, Ralph NP Middle School (6-8)

If Perry, Sarah 1 Primary (K-2)
Upper Elementary (3-5)
Middle School (6-8)

If You're Not from the Prairie Bouchard, David NP Middle School (6-8)

Insectlopedia: Poems and Paintings Florian, Douglas NP Middle School (6-8)

I See the Rhythm Igus, Toyomi NP Middle School (6-8)

Jar of Tiny Stars: Poems by NCTE Award-Winning Poets, A Cullininan, Bernice E. NP Middle School (6-8)

Knock at a Star: A Child's Introduction to Poetry Kennedy, X. J., Kennedy, Dorothy NP Upper Elementary (3-5)
Middle School (6-8)

Light in the Attic, A Silverstein, Shel NP Primary (K-2)
Upper Elementary (3-5)
Middle School (6-8)

Lives: Poems About Famous Americans Hopkins, Lee Bennett (selector) NP Middle School (6-8)

Maples in the Mist: Children's Poems from the Tang Dynasty Ho, Minfong NP Primary (K-2)
Upper Elementary (3-5)
Middle School (6-8)

Middle Passage: White Ships/Black Cargo Feelings, Tom NP Middle School (6-8)

Mind's Eye Fleischman, Paul NP Middle School (6-8)
High School (9-12)

Mojave Siebert, Diane NP Middle School (6-8)

Neighborhood Odes Soto, Gary NP Middle School (6-8)

New Kid on the Block Prelutsky, Jack NP Upper Elementary (3-5)
Middle School (6-8)

Nothing but the Truth: A Documentary Novel Avi, NP Middle School (6-8)
High School (9-12)

Old Elm Speaks: Tree Poems George, Kristine O'Connell NP Primary (K-2)
Upper Elementary (3-5)
Middle School (6-8)

Out of the Dust Hesse, Karen NP Middle School (6-8)
High School (9-12)

Oxford Book of Poetry for Children Blishen, Edward (editor) NP Middle School (6-8)

Popcorn Stevenson, James NP Middle School (6-8)

Quotations for Kids Senn, J. A. (compiler) NP Upper Elementary (3-5)
Middle School (6-8)

Rainbows Are Made: Poems by Carl Sandburg Sandburg, Carl NP Middle School (6-8)

Random House Book of Poetry for Children, The Prelutsky, Jack (selector) NP Primary (K-2)
Upper Elementary (3-5)
Middle School (6-8)

Relatively Speaking: Poems About Family Fletcher, Ralph NP Middle School (6-8)

Salting the Ocean, 100 Poems by Young People Nye, Naomi Shihab (editor) NP Middle School (6-8)

Sierra Siebert, Diane NP Upper Elementary (3-5)
Middle School (6-8)

Soul Looks Back in Wonder Feelings, Tom NP Middle School (6-8)

Suitcase of Seaweed, A Wong, Janet NP Upper Elementary (3-5)
Middle School (6-8)

Waiting to Waltz, a Childhood: Poems Rylant, Cynthia NP Middle School (6-8)

War and the Pity of War Philip, Neil (editor) NP Middle School (6-8)

Water Music Yolen, Jane NP Middle School (6-8)

What Have You Lost? Nye, Naomi Shihab (editor) NP Middle School (6-8)
High School (9-12)

When the Rain Sings, Poems by Young Native Americans Gale, David (editor) NP Middle School (6-8)

Hey! Maybe their using Harry Potter to indoctrinate kids in Nebraska!

Off to search!
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 3 May, 2008 08:33 am
well, lookey there, the fancy pants left coasters sure do read a lot of poetry
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 3 May, 2008 08:41 am
<snork>

California might have the market cornered on poetry but come up a little north and you'll find that our public school interpretive dance program beats them ten ways to Tuesday.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sat 3 May, 2008 08:45 am
blueflame1 wrote:
Bomb bomb bomb Iran. That's the McCain/Hagge signiture song.

Actually, its one of the "signature songs" of Vince Vance and the Valiants.

Its done to the tune of "BarbaraAnn", an old Beach Boys song.
Bomb Iran was written and recorded during the Iranian Hostage Crisis, when Jimmy Carter was President.

Quote:
Bomb Iran
(to the tune of "Barbara Ann" by the Beach Boys)

Bomb, bomb, bomb, bomb, bomb, Iran.
Bomb, bomb, bomb, bomb, bomb, BOMB IRAN!
Let's take a stand, bomb Iran.
Our country's got a feelin'
Really hit the ceilin', bomb Iran.
Bomb, bomb, bomb, bomb Iran.

Went to a mosque, gonna throw some rocks.
Tell the Ayatollah..."Gonna put you in a box!"
Bomb Iran. Bomb, bomb, bomb, bomb Iran.

Ol' Uncle Sam's gettin' pretty hot.
Time to turn Iran into a parking lot. Bomb Iran.

Call the volunteers; call the bombadiers;
Call the financiers, better get their ass in gear.
Bomb Iran. Bomb, bomb, bomb, bomb Iran.

Call on our allies to cut off their supplies,
Get our hands untied, and bring em' back alive. Bomb Iran.

Bomb, bomb, bomb, bomb, bomb Iran.
Bomb, bomb, bomb, bomb, bomb, BOMB IRAN!
Let's take a stand, bomb Iran.
Our people you been stealin'
Now it's time for keelin', bomb Iran.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 3 May, 2008 08:59 am
boomerang wrote:
<snork>

California might have the market cornered on poetry but come up a little north and you'll find that our public school interpretive dance program beats them ten ways to Tuesday.

makes me think of this

Battle of Pearl Harbour
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 3 May, 2008 09:01 am
Thank you very much, young man.
0 Replies