Do I have any sort of recourse for wedding snafu?

Reply Thu 1 May, 2008 05:00 pm
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 900 • Replies: 13
No top replies

Bohne

Reply Fri 2 May, 2008 02:04 am
You've had a beautiful wedding, everything went great.

My advice: Let this go!
Don't stress yourself over it any more.
It will always be your word against his.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Fri 2 May, 2008 09:10 am
I would also suggest letting it go. It will be a good story to tell your kids about. We had a little snafu at our wedding reception many years ago. While at the time we weren't too happy about it, it has become part of the story of our lives.

It's just not worth getting worked up about.
0 Replies

MagicBlackCat

Reply Fri 2 May, 2008 10:20 am
Thanks for your replies. *sigh*

I did have a beautiful wedding. I guess the long time customer service person in me wants him to realize what a problem he caused so that others in the future don't go through the same thing. Alas though your words of wisdom are wise. I wish I could let it go so easily.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 2 May, 2008 10:57 am
Do you have any documentation besides Adam's word against your word? If not, I can't imagine there is anything legally you can do - but I am not a lawyer.

If you really want to be compensation in some way, I would suggest sending a letter to the manager/owner of the hotel detailing the information you collected and if you have any written documents or emails, reservation numbers. I would hope the hotel gave you at least a reservation number. They may compensation you a free night stay - I doubt they will financially reimburse you.

As I wrote previously, we had our wedding reception site close just a couple of months before our wedding date. We did not get compensated other than our returned receipt and we had a written contract. We also had to pay more money at an alternate site (fortunately we were able to get a very nice alternative). I was just thankfully everything went beautifully in the end that the thought never entered my mind to try to get compensated in any way. I am of the mindset of the others, let it go - and it is true, it makes an excellent story years later.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 2 May, 2008 11:12 am
Sounds like Linkat has been there, and done that. Since everyone in a motel is busy defending their position, money is darn hard to pry out of them. Getting a comp in the future is within the realm of possibility.

Now, nearly all motels are franchises, you might contact the franchiser. They have lots of clout, since the motels really need ther nationwide reservation system, not to mention the name on the sign.

I don't recall if you paid a deposit, or used a card for preauthorization. Anyway, if a receipt exists, it might be helpful.
0 Replies

MagicBlackCat

Reply Fri 2 May, 2008 12:11 pm
The only written documentation I have is a response e-mail from them saying they could not allow 30 people in the Suite and that the fire code only allows 10. My e-mail to them stated that I understood I had reservations for both Friday and Saturday but they never once addressed it in their response. Heaven knows the horror that could have happened if I had not called to verify the reservation myself on the Sunday before. At least that gave me the opportunity to cancel my deli order and reduce the stuff that I had planned to take for decorations in the Suite for Saturday. All in all I am very glad I reserved the room fiance and I stayed in since it had a private sun porch where we could have people visit with us between the ceremony and reception. That is ultimately were we set up a veggie tray, drinks and the wedding cake which we ate after dinner. It was a bit cramped but everyone was very gracious about it and we made the best of it. Thankfully the weather was nice and we were able to open up the doors on the sun porch so that a nice airy breeze kept everyone cool.

My credit card info was supposed to hold the room but since 'adam' stated they didn't have it, I guess I had no proof of my reservation except the fact that I did have the room on Friday night and there was a 'note' that "adam' states I was supposed to call back with the cc info. *sigh*. I just wish there was more I could do. Honestly I feel insulted that "adam" thought we would potentially trash their Suite. I am a professional, so is my finance and we definately did not have a 'big shindig' planned. We didn't have a garter/ bouquet toss, dancing or any of the other things that happens in most wedding receptions. We are a quiet bunch and simply wanted to spend a nice evening visiting with our guests in a nice comfortable place.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 2 May, 2008 12:22 pm
Last ditch effort; the credit card company may have a record of the original authorization (not charge) that they would share with you.

Actually, there is probably some regulation not allowing more than two registered guests per bed. Guests at a reception are just temporary guests and would not be covered by such regulation.

Now, I used to work in a motel. Parties do get out of hand, and collecting for damages is not easy. Still, it was their job to make the decision when you made the reservation.

Oh, just write it off to experience. In the future, document everything, just as you would at work. In other words, names, date and time, and receipts. On a reservation, there will be a confirmation number. Demand it from them, or go somewhere else.
0 Replies

MagicBlackCat

Reply Fri 2 May, 2008 12:37 pm
The Suite was set up to sleep 5 people which was my main concern as I had to find reservation for 4 people to sleep since they messed up the reservation. The nature of the suite is different than a normal hotel room however as it is the only one in the hotel with a full kitchen, dining room, living room, tv room, 2 bathrooms and 2 seperate sleeping rooms. The sq foot is over 2000 ft and was furnished like a 2 bedroom apt so honestly it would not have been unreasonable to have my other guests visit for short periods of time. We would not have even considered having the reception there had it not been for "adam" stating that we could use it for that purpose when we booked the room in Feb
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 2 May, 2008 12:46 pm
MagicBlackCat wrote:
The only written documentation I have is a response e-mail from them saying they could not allow 30 people in the Suite and that the fire code only allows 10. My e-mail to them stated that I understood I had reservations for both Friday and Saturday but they never once addressed it in their response. Heaven knows the horror that could have happened if I had not called to verify the reservation myself on the Sunday before. At least that gave me the opportunity to cancel my deli order and reduce the stuff that I had planned to take for decorations in the Suite for Saturday. All in all I am very glad I reserved the room fiance and I stayed in since it had a private sun porch where we could have people visit with us between the ceremony and reception. That is ultimately were we set up a veggie tray, drinks and the wedding cake which we ate after dinner. It was a bit cramped but everyone was very gracious about it and we made the best of it. Thankfully the weather was nice and we were able to open up the doors on the sun porch so that a nice airy breeze kept everyone cool.

My credit card info was supposed to hold the room but since 'adam' stated they didn't have it, I guess I had no proof of my reservation except the fact that I did have the room on Friday night and there was a 'note' that "adam' states I was supposed to call back with the cc info. *sigh*. I just wish there was more I could do. Honestly I feel insulted that "adam" thought we would potentially trash their Suite. I am a professional, so is my finance and we definately did not have a 'big shindig' planned. We didn't have a garter/ bouquet toss, dancing or any of the other things that happens in most wedding receptions. We are a quiet bunch and simply wanted to spend a nice evening visiting with our guests in a nice comfortable place.

I would then write to the manager/owner or franchise company and pretty much state what you have said here. I would include in the end how Adam made you feel. Keep the words professional, but I see nothing wrong with stating the fact you felt insulted when Adam either said or insinuated that you would trash the place - maybe replace trash with damage.

You may not get anything, but at least you can feel you did whatever you could. I see nothing wrong with writing or notify a business when the service is not up to expectations.
0 Replies

MagicBlackCat

Reply Fri 2 May, 2008 12:50 pm
You are oh so wise Linkat. thanks so much for the advice! Smile
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 2 May, 2008 01:21 pm
Thanks - at least some one thinks I'm wise.

Could you rely this to my manager - it is merit time right now?
0 Replies

MagicBlackCat

Reply Fri 2 May, 2008 01:32 pm
Surely but do you think it would be awkward trying to explain a magic black cat think's you;re the cat's meow? Very Happy
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 2 May, 2008 01:56 pm
MagicBlackCat wrote:
Surely but do you think it would be awkward trying to explain a magic black cat think's you;re the cat's meow? Very Happy

I've had worse references.
0 Replies